fuchs od100 clean to metal + bb preamp vs direct drive

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by mentoneman, Sep 30, 2006.

1. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

it's about tones boys; gave me excuse to practice!

[​IMG]

howabout that beauty?

started this morning revisiting the fuchs od 100, plugging my tyler strat straight in...kinman avn 59s in neck/mid and holmes 450 in bridge
    cab was closed/ported 1x12 w/EV12L...the speaker is old and starting to wheeze a little...that is the high buzz you hear on the gained out sections, but it'll give some idea as to how heavy the fuchs can get

OD100

i find the EV a little stiff on the cleans yet very flexible tonall, and it loves the robben ford type stuff---smooth even mids.

then i plugged into the mojave coyote and added the bb preamp i received this afternoon to my effects arsenal. i was inspired by the rob marcello/suhr demo at wild west guitar the video of which i have been working on.

he used the bb preamp and it sounded very natural, and i needed a replacement for my tonebone classic which keeps dying on me.

tyler strat->vht valvulator->mxr dynacomp->barber direct drive->bb preamp->arion chorus->dan echo->tc gforce->mojave coyote low sensitivity input->gh30 1x12

bbpreamp vs. direct drive

the clip goes:
    -clean w/dynacomp (danecho and gforce always on)
    -add arion chorus
    -just direct drive
    -just bbpreamp
    -comp+DD
    -comp+BB (the AC/DC thng)
    -comp+DD+BB (lead tones)

i find the bb a little more grindy than the direct drive which is cool for a bit more aggresion and definition. both seem to work very well together.

adding the dynacomp is a bit noisy, but i intend to replace the dyna with my tone press once it is repaired and returned from barber. i HAVE to have a comp in front of the drive boxes and always on. just my thing.

2. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

Whooah.................

Some well tasty tones. Really love you're playing too.

It's great to hear what the BB could sound like. Fuch as always never fail to impress tonally.

Thanks a bundle for posting.

3. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Great playin & clips-your timing is perfect for me!!!
    I just PM'd you a few questions-if you have time to answer-thanks!

reaaally shows the tone!!! + I have those Kinmans-so its a great reference for me too!

JF

4. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

cool man-

the fuchs records very nicely. i'd love to hear it with a speaker rig that was more airy on the cleans and a little more responsive on the crunch, although i thought the EV sounded pretty aggresive.

i really love my coyote with my pedal rig-lots of versatility.

would you guys say it has more of an overall vox sound or a marshall sound?

5. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

cool---it's a non SLX model, but i think once i get my egnater tol 100 back from the shop, i'll be sending scott the ODS 100 for his lovin.

i did have to redial the fuchs in between clips for the dedicated sounds i got.

6. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Great sounds,for sho'!The Tyler definitely makes a difference as well!

Vlad

7. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

err..... I would say probably more Voxy than marshally to my ears?

8. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i love my tyler!

the tylers in general seem to have a fullness to them i don't hear in other strats, without being muddy or bloated. they are still vibrant and twangy but chewy too.

suhrs are killer too, and have more spank and snap and sparkle.

9. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

i'd have to agree, especially on the cleaner clips. the chime isn't as spitty and obvious as some other vox-like amps i've played and heard, but it sorta lurks in the background with the coyote.

i'm sorta hoping when my egnater tol 100 comes home, it will have more open chime and spit on channel 2 ala vox meets SRV little wing texas blues tones.

10. rabbit

rabbit Member

Nice comparison of the two pedals. I enjoy a BB as well. I think the clip shows that the BB stacks well with other pedals, maybe because of it´s certain clearity it has - a great sound enhancer, in a way...

The chrome finish is gorgeous!