Fuchs ODS 100 Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Burst59, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have a Fuchs ODS 100 HT and for the life of me I can not get a good balance between the OD channel and clean. I get the OD set the way I like and then the clean is way to loud, what hell am I missing? I've used Michael Lewis's setups but they don't account for volume at all. If I used them they way they are written I would deafen the audience pretty quick. Just wondering if anyone out there (calling Scott Lerner) could help me.:jo

2. m3g

m3g Member

I always felt it was easier to get good balance on cascading gain structured amps by setting the clean first. Set the clean to the maximum gain you want, then adjust the OD to your liking. Hope that helps.

3. John Coloccia

John Coloccia Cold Supporting Member

Why isn't this as easy as turning up the "Output" knob and turning down the "Master"? I've never had a problem balancing anything. How old is your ODS? I remember Andy mentioning something at one point about a couple of tweaks that fixes problems like this on the older ODS amps. Maybe I'm misquoting him and if so, I apologize.

4. Burst59

Burst59 Member

The problem with this amp is that the gain knob effects both the the clean and overdrive. If I turn down the gain to get a lower volume on the clean then I lose all my OD and fatness on the OD side. I'm getting better results just setting the clean and using an OCD pedal for my overdrive.

5. John Coloccia

So if your cleans are too loud, that's just another way of saying your overdrive is not loud enough. You can fix the problem by turning up the "Output" knob (making the overdrive louder), and then turning down the master (making everything quieter again). That is unless you're saying that the output is already cranked?

6. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

That's why I went for the TDS. No issues getting the balance.

7. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Tried that and that helped, I think I have a better balance now. thanks!
    I keep thinking of the output as a gain or pre-amp adjustment and I need to stop that.

8. John Coloccia

LOL...yeah, cut that out :D

I have an ODS50 and it just keeps getting better for me as I learn more and more how the thing behaves, and how to get the right tones out of it. It's way more versatile than I originally thought.

9. Burst59

Burst59 Member

Starting playing around withe trim pots again, they don't seem to make much of a difference.

10. scottl

scottl Member

Trim pots should make a big difference. Unfortunately, there a couple of resistors and maybe a cap that may need to be tweaked in order to get you dialed in. This is one area that Dumble did tune things. If you can't get it the way you liek by futzing with settings, you may need to change a resistor or two..... No biggies and this can really alter the balance towards the way one likes it.

11. Burst59

Burst59 Member

That's out of my comfort zone doing that kind of thing.
    If I had a clear diagram I might be able to do it.

12. SoulToStrings

SoulToStrings Member

I am pretty new to mine as well, just got a ODS50. I am learning more about it everyday, and they are so addicting to play.

I think you will get the hang of it, i find that the 2 channels balance very nicely. I am using low output pickups, I dont know if that is makin it easier or not.

The character of both channels floors me each time. Wow!

www.soultostrings.com
    Melodic Instrumental Rock Music

13. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I have 3 guitars my main 2 are a Custom Shop VOS 59 Les Paul
    that has a Tom Holmes in the bridge and a Wolftone Dr V in the neck.
    The other is a Custom Shop VOS SG Les Paul with stock Burstbuckers.

I think I'm close, I'm deciding between my vintage G12-65's and my old G12H 30's. I'm afraid to use the 30's in anything other then a 4X12 config due to the wattage mismatch. But I'm not 100% sold on the G12-65's yet.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2008
  14. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

A little off topic here but I just made the reverse polarity speaker cable for my TDS today ... What a difference ! definateley more open sounding less compressed. Man , gotta try it. Much wider frequency responce. Love it.

15. John Coloccia

I keep going back and forth. I can't decide. They definately sound different, and to my ear when the overdrive sounds a little nicer, the cleans sound a little worse. I've completely lost track of how I have mine wired at this point, and I've just decided to stop screwing with it until I have a reason to touch it again. I was definately starting to go down the rabit hole on this one before I cut it out! :D

16. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I've been running a reverse Lava cable from day one so I don't what it sounds like the other way.

17. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I had a TDS, 2 actually they both died on me. Sent them both back and bought the ODS instead. I prefer the tone of the ODS and the smaller head case as well.

18. peterdjp

peterdjp Member

How are you guys running your effects loop ?

19. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I run mine in parallel with no trim and run all my effects levels on full.

20. John Coloccia

I go back and forth on this too. Usually, I'm running parallel on the occasions I throw a little delay or phase in the loop. Sometimes, though, I kinda' dig the little bit of color I get when running the loop serial. I feel it maybe takes a touch of he edge off....warms it up just a tiny bit. I might just be fooling myself and there's no real difference.

My favorite way to run it is no effects, though.