Fuchs ODS 30(6V6) vs. ODS 50

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Eddie B., Aug 7, 2005.

1. Eddie B.

Eddie B. Member

I'm in the market for a *umble type amp. I am looking for comments from you Fuchs owners on the best choice (ODS 30 (6V6) or ODS 50) with Les Pauls. I use both an R6 w/P-90s and an R9. I play in a R & B/Blues bandw/ horns and a strong drummer. I'm looking to buy a head, and use it with a Boogie 2x12 3/4 w/ C90 or HD 30s.
    A Two Rock Custom Reverb is also a possibility.
    Thanks in advance!

2. scottl

scottl Member

I'd say the 50 watter. Fwiw, the 30 accepts 6L6 tubes too. I run mine that way. Fullerplast on this forum had a Two Rock Custom Reverb and currently has a Fuchs SLX30. He can fill you in with the straight scoop on the tonal differences and the 30 watters headroom.

Scott

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

do a search, we've covered this already with Deaj, who's a very happy owner of an ODS50.

4. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

With horns, a hard hitting drummer, and a Les Paul, I'd also suggest the 50W to make sure you have the headroom you need. The 30W gets plenty loud but it is also cathode biased and has a little softer feel to it and has less headroom. I do like the fullness and a bit more complexity you seem to get out of quad output tubes.

I had both the TR Custom Reverb 50W and the ODS 30 SLX (non-production SLX) together for about a month while I tried them both at home and at gigs. The 50W TR had much more headroom but I thought the ODS30 sounded better in both clean and OD mode. I used the same Tonespotter speakers for both. The biggest difference was in OD mode-the ODS just had better touch sensitivity and smoother transitions between clean and breakup. It had more of a vocal quality to it. I don't know if the 50W ODS would have the same edge, but since the preamp stages of the 30W and 50W are essentially the same I suspect it would.

The controls and features of both amps are very similar. I preferred the toggle switches on the TR to the push-pull pots on the Fuchs, but if you are using the footswitch that doesn't really matter much. Reverb was very good on both

Both the TR and Fuchs are extremely good sounding and well made amps-you could be very happy with either one. If you can, try them side by side through the same cab. If you can't......all I can do is tell you what my personal choice was: the ODS 30 SLX.:cool:

5. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Very happy indeed! :cool:

I can't comment on the ODS 30 as I haven't played one. I can say that my ODS 50 is the perfect do-all amp for me.

6. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

I have the Fuchs ODS 30 combo, and I play with a loud band, and I would go with the 50watter only because of the volume that you have you want that extra headroom,
    But if you have everything Mic,d all the time then you could use the 30 also, I love the tone of my 30 ODS and I have a EV speaker in there now,and it is pretty loud, I am waiting on the Wizard speaker and Scott L said it was the best with that amp,so I will see what comes out. :AOK

7. scottl

scottl Member

The Wizard is very loud. It should help out with the headroom... I have not tried the Tonespotter in the 30 combo so I can't tell you if it is better, but the 30 worked out well for me...... Also try plugging your 8 ohm cab into the 4 ohm tap. Many prefer the tone. One other thing, when you get the Wizard, wire it in backwards. The Fuchs outputs an inverted signal. Wiring the speaker backwards should make a noticeable improvement! Try it. It is free....

Scott

8. deeval

deeval Supporting Member

Do you mean to wire the positive wire to the neg. terminal? On the speaker?
    Also the ext speaker jack can be used seperatly to use an 8ohm speaker?
    Is that 4ohm jack or 8ohm?
    Thanks for all the input you have these amps wired down good.
    :cool:

9. scottl

scottl Member

Yep..... Wire the speaker backwards. + to - and vice versa. I notice a big difference as does Steve Kimock as well (with his Two Rock) Also Les Schefman.

I think your Fuchs has a 4 and 8 ohm tap. I would not use both. Better to check with Andy.

Thanks btw! Oh, here is my latest Fuchs 30 watt clip (w/Wizard) http://www.scottlernermusic.com/august/narsh30a.MP3

Scott

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

ooh crap, here we go again... :rolleyes: ;) :p

11. scottl

scottl Member

Nope... There is an unmistaskeable difference in tone depending on the cabs polarity.

It is possible the effect is muted on your older ODS since the bass is dramatically attenuated as opposed to the revoiced SLX.

We are having a Dumblefest soon and you are invited. At that time, you can hear the difference on my gear. You will be amazed.

Scott

12. danel59

danel59 Member

Scott I have the 30 watt ODS Head and have a THD 2 x 12, what are your feelings on changing the speakers to the Wizards, would I notice any difference in headroom? I am going to be sending Andy my head for the SLX mod shortly but I am still thinking of upgrading the speakers to get a little more headroom. In most cases it is loud enough but there are times I would like it to stay a little cleaner.

Thanks

13. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

My question about the ODS 30 vs ODS 50 is inside out from the original posters' question:

Clean headroom isn't much of an issue for me... What I wanna know is whether the overdrive channel is just as killer sounding on each? Will both of them do the killin' Overdrive sound at lower volumes? Basically is the TONE on the overdrive channel equal in both the 30 and 50 versions, the only differences being wattage and power?

14. fullerplast

As mentioned earlier, the 30 is cathode biased and uses a quad of 6V6's. To me, this gives it a more compressed, slightly smoother and complex OD if it's loud enough to have the output tubes working. At extremely low volumes I think the difference becomes smaller between the two because it's more preamp influence for the OD. JMHO, YMMV.

15. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

thanks for your reply...

a follow-up Q:

On the Fuchs website, it says the 30 watt can be either 4x 6V6 or 2x 6L6... if one got the 2x 6L6 version 30 watts, would that be voiced the same as the 50 watt?

16. scottl

scottl Member

The preamps are identical. The only difference is the cathode bias. Even then, you can have Andy add a pull pot that switches from cathode to fixed bias. The difference then, assuming 6L6 tubes in both amps (30 and 50) would be a lower plate voltage on the 30 watter. In this case the 30 woudl probably be a 40. Of course they use different output iron as well, but both have good tone.

I still prefer the 50 for more headroom and I like the tone of the 50 watt output iron. The amp is a good compromise imo.

Scott

17. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Thanks Scott! Sounds like the 50 might be right for me...

So you can get great gain and sustain with the 50 at lower (small club) volumes?

18. fullerplast

You can use either configuration in the ODS30. It's the same amp. It will still sound different than the 50W at higher volumes, but the 6L6 pair will sound different than the 6V6 quad (of course:) ). It's just another option for different tone.

The same comments apply regarding the cathode bias. If you set up an ODS50 and an ODS30 for very low volumes, you will be using just the (same) preamp to generate OD tone, so they will be very similar. The louder you get, the more difference you will notice as the power section starts to work.

I think the 30W offers more tonal options if you don't need the headroom. Plus you can swap power tubes all day long and never have to bias. With the 50W, you need to remove the chassis to bias.

19. Gearhead

Gearhead Member

FWIW, there is only one version of the ODS 30. It can handle either 4 6V6 (filling all power tube sockets), or 2 6L6 (one in each of the two pairs of sockets).

20. tedjac

tedjac Guest

So... you simply leave the two other tube sockets empty and fire it up? That's all there is to it? No other adjustments or anything needed?

Thanks