Fuchs ODS 30 Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jspax7, Jan 19, 2006.

1. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I just picked up an ODS 30 combo, and have a couple of questions.

1. Scott L. mentioned in a previous post, that the Wizard speaker should be wired backwards. (+ to -) This amp has an Eminence Legend. Should it be hooked up the same way?

2. Anyone playing a Strat through one of these? What pickups do you favor? SSH (I know, that was 2 questions.)

3. Speaker recommendation for Strat with a smooth edge, and Robben Ford and Larry Carlton humbucker tones? (I also play a Guild Bluesbird.)

Thanks, Jim

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

No one but ol' Dog ears himself would hear the difference.

I don't have a Fuchs but I have a 30 watt homebuilt ODS. I perfer Hums in this amp, but it sounds good with anything.

EVM would be my first choice, Weber California Ceramic without the silver dome my next. Scott's reported that the new EVM's are excellent. I'm using an old JBL D120 with a paper dome in mine, it's the best sounding speaker I've used in it,

I've had EV Force, Celestion G12H80, Weber 1230-55, Jensen C12N and the JBL is the best (I just hope she holds up, they're not very rugged speakers) Celestion second, the Weber is too Brittish for this amp and the Jensen is too thin and Fenderish.

3. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Actually try reversing the polarity and if you can hear the difference and like it one way or another stay that way. Switching the polarity won't hurt the amp in any way.

Ol' Dog Ears isn't the only one that can hear/feel a difference.

Teles with hotter pickups sound amazing with the Fuchs. I'm neither here nor there with strats. Humbuckers are awesome of course.

4. bob-i

bob-i Member

You got my curiosity up so I reversed the wires on mine. I really can't hear or feel a difference in this little room. Maybe a bigger space will make a difference.

In reality the signal goes through many inversions in the amp. Where it finally ends up is a factor of the number of gain stages. Plexi's are reversed, where most Fender's are not, with the exception of some of the Tweed's.

Jeff's right though, as long as all cones move the same way, it doesn't matter.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Ditto on these comments.

Also, for speakers my choice for the 1x12 combo is a G12H30 after having tried the Tonespotter, Wizard, and Tonker. For a 2x12 head/cab I prefer dual Tonespotters.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Love my ODS30SLX with both hums and singles. Strats or LP's. She's an all around killer in my book and while maybe most known for it's Dumblish tone she is capable of oh so much more. Speakers I prefer are G12H30's and Alnico Blues both in 4x12 cabs.

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Questions for Fullerplast, and Fretmaster:

Are you using G12H Heritage, or Classic?

Are these 30 watt speakers enough for the Fuchs?

What kind of tones are you getting?

(One more for Fretmaster)
    What Pickups do you use in your Strat?

(make that 2 questions)
    What strat tones do you get?

Any other opinions? The more the merrier.

8. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

i use a strat w/ my ODS30, and its loaded w/ a Tone Tubby H1E. smooth and fat are the name of the game. and the polarity thing never really affected my ears.

9. mlynn02

mlynn02 Member

i was curious about the polarity thing, so i just bought a reverse polarity cable so that i can easily swap back and forth depending on which amp i'm going to use with the cab. didn't really notice a huge difference though.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

yea, i had one made too, and honestly, i cant tell a diff at the lower volumes i usually play.

but hey matt, how's the cab working out?

11. fullerplast

I'm using the 70th Anniversary model, made in England with the lead cone, so it's a bit different than the Heritage or the Classic AFAIK. It can easily handle the ODS 30W. Celestion is pretty conservative. Tones are all over the map, from Buchanan tele/Fender style blues, to Duane's Marshall tone, to Ford's tele/Dumble to Carlton's 335/Dumble. I probably lean a little bit more to the clean side (while still on the OD channel) than most, and depend on guitar volume and touch to go from clean to crunch, rather than switching channels.

I mainly use a 3 pickup tele with Bardens, tele with Hamels, telegib with antiquities, or LP R4 with Holmes.

As for the speaker polarity, try getting the guitar/amp up to a volume where you can get controlled feedback. I'd be very surprised if you didn't find one polarity more "lively" than the other.

12. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Thanks for the info! How does the "lead cone" affect the tone? (brighter, darker, smoother,?) I imagine most Fuchs players are picky about their tone. I certainly am. With this amp, in the OD channel, Jazz, no boost, it sounds like the clean channel.... until you dig in. That's why I bought this! I'm also getting hints of Scott Lerner's tones, but there's something lacking, and I suspect it's the speaker.... (You think maybe he "tweaks" his?)

I'm trying some different preamp tubes too. The usual suspects. My Carvin DC 127 with the coils tapped has some of that Robben Ford Tele vibe. My Stat Ultra (maple on alder, lace sensors) is getting a refret, and I'm pickup shopping for that one. Currently, HSH, but I may go back to SSH. Any ideas there? I'm considering a Mini Hum for the neck. Anderson makes one that sounds like a fat strat. Leads me to yet another question.... Anyone playing an Anderson through an ODS?

I want a speaker that has chime, but isn't harsh, firm lows with complex mids. Oh, yes,... and a little give. Tone can be difficult to describe. I'll know it when I hear it....

Thanks to everyone for the input. Keep it comin'.

13. fullerplast

The lead cone is lighter and looser than the bass cone. I've never compared them side by side, so I can't help you much other than say that I would suspect that the bottom end is not as tight and the speaker breaks up earlier.

I think you may be obsessing a bit much about guitar and pickup compatibility with this amp (and I know that most of us here are somewhat obsessive anyway:D ). The amp is inherently extremely flexible, both in tone and gain structure. Your own particular touch and attack of the strings is far more important than any of the guitars or pickups you've mentioned. Scott sounds like Scott through any number of amps and guitars (that's why he's off having fun at NAMM right now:( ). The ODS can entertain you for a long time with any number of guitars, but how you set it up will probably end up being very different from how I set it up, or Scott, or Fretmaster, etc, even with the same guitars.

14. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I tried the feedback idea. One way was more lively than the other. And to confirm my findings, I plugged in an extension speaker and switched the terminals on the combo speaker. It was out of phase with the extension. So I went back to the original hookup, and am in phase with my extension cab. Apparently, both jacks are wired in phase on this amp.

I'm still getting a little "fizz" on the drive channel. I'll email Andy when he get's back from NAMM. Maybe a trim pot tweak is in order.

Thanks, Fullerplast.

15. fullerplast

I'm not quite sure what you mean by fizz, but you can tweak the trim pots pretty easily, just note where they are now so you can go back. IIRC there are three, but I think Andy has the low end trim pot out of the circuit on the newer amps-check to be sure (his manual is on-line) . If you find you are keeping your OD drive level very low, you may be better off turning the trim pot(s) down. You can also try some different NOS tubes in V1, V2, and even the phase inverter. Try a 5751 in those spots as well. Finally, you'll find that each of the EQ pots have a spot where things start to happen quickly. Spend some time dialing in the highs and mids carefully. Don't forget you can roll off some high end at the guitar; this can sound very sweet with the ODS.

16. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Thanks again Fullerplast. I read an article by Miles about the PI tube and put in a GT 12ax7m. (replacing a Ruby) There is a difference. This amp shipped with TAD short bottle 6L6's. Also have a quad of Brimar 6V6's coming, as well as some NOS preamp tubes. Andy says I can run 2 6V6's. Any thoughts on this? I think I have to plug the speaker into the 4 ohm jack.(?)

V1 makes a huge difference, and a bright tube can sound harsh. V2 can tame or boost the OD input, but doesn't dramatically affect brightness as much as V1. This amp seems very responsive to every change, be it tube, guitar type or tone control. (I do roll off my bridge pickup. Much sweeter.)

I know it may sound like I'm tweaking a lot, but I'm playing a lot too. The touch sensitivity makes me work for my tone and dynamics. (a good thing)
    As far as speakers go, I tried a Vintage 30, and it was much brighter. I assume the Legend in this amp is on the warm side. I just think a little speaker grind would be nice. (in the mids, not in the highs) Is there a speaker that has a tighter bass, edgy mids, and smooth highs, with some grind when pushed? In the meantime, I'll try a couple of other Celestions that I have.

Thanks again. Everyone here is very helpful!

17. scottl

scottl Member

Check your email....

You'll need to adjust those trims I think.

Also, Bob I, your clone has no loop so it is in phase as is. The amps with built in loops are the inverters.

Scott

18. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

the Fuchs ODS 30 is one of 2 amps I'm considering saving up for... the other being a Bad Cat Hot Cat 30... can you guys compare and contrast the 2 for me please?

I'm a blues player, SRV and Jimi influences, but I also like the tones of Van Halen and other high gain players too

I'll be playing a Lentz L-90 guitar through it (P-90 neck, T bridge pickup)

19. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

The Fuchs is a great amp I have heard, but from first hand experience the Lentz BKaster pickup absolutely smokes through the Bad Cat.