Fuchs ODS 30 SLX: For Me? or not For Me?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rich2k4, Feb 9, 2008.

1. rich2k4

rich2k4 Supporting Member

i have the chance to get a Fuchs ods 30 slx head.

i currently own a metropoulos 67' superlead plexi 100 watter.

you probably have seen me posting here before, in search of a versatile amp.

and by versatile i mean i can take it to any gig situation, regardless of style being played, and get a great tone. Ok maybe not death metal gigs, but you know what i mean.

and even if i would never do a heavy metal gig, can this amp get a good amount of gain without the help of pedals?

i'm also looking for a low wattage head so this fits.

there is a few things i am now looking for in amps since i have noticed some of the limitations of a plexi.

1. i play in a alternative rock band, where there is 3 guitar players. here is a link of the band and what we play http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKgJQPPQphU

i don't know how much longer i will be in this band, as i am not digging the music. However, could i get a a rythem tone like that? and would the amp have a boost for solo's?

2. the channels have to be able to have individual volumes set on them. for example, get a good crunchy rythem tone on one channel, and then having the other channel louder with a bit more gain for solos. can the clean channel with the gain boost get a good crunch?

3. overdrive channel should be able to clean up nicely by rolling down the volume.

currently with the metro, i am forced to use a pod xt live to any type of usable tone. i have the amp set at .5 or 1.

it is sort of ridiculous because it's a waste of an amp to use it at levels like that, but all the gigs i play are mic'd

i tried using a hotplate before, however that puts a cap on your overall volume, so no type of boost pedal works, it just adds more gain, not volume. plus the metro does not have an fx loop.

would this amp be for me or not.

2. danel59

danel59 Member

I own the ODS30SLX and for everything I do it works fine. Although I don't play heavy rock it could do a pretty good classic rock tone. With the switchable boosts it is very versatile and yes the Od channel does clean up with your volume control and or pick control. I find it can be pretty well considering its 30 watt rating. I would say though if you wanted a pristine clean sound especially playing with a loud drummer it may not be enough but if you don't mind hair to your cleans at high volumes it should work well. It is very cab dependant as well. I thought it sounded quite good through a Marshall 412 and definately moved a lot of air. I guess if you needed more gain you can always add a pedal or two and it does take pedals quite well too

3. S. Hawk Ltd.

S. Hawk Ltd. Member

I'd sure like to get that ODS 20 back from Puckboy! Don't know why I ever traded... BIG mistake... Me :NUTS...
    Glad I got a ODS Mod 30... Those Fuchs amps are great!

4. rich2k4

does it do what i need, thats the question

5. rich2k4

6. rich2k4

someone with this amp please give some insight

7. m3g

m3g Member

rich2k4,

i used to own an ods 30 slx, so I will try and help you out based on your 3 points.

1) based on your band's video and the style of music played, I dont think the ods is the right choice. I instantly thought of my old mesa rectoverb. Modern high gain with decent cleans and nice crunch mode on the clean channel. Now if the styles of music are gonna be changing, then I think the ods will do nicely.

The ods has a mid and a gain boost. Depending on which footswitch comes with the amp will determine whether you can contol one or the other (or both!) by foot.

2) the ods does not have individual channel volumes. The clean volume (gain) contols the volume on the lead channel. As d59 stated, you may get hair on your clean channel depending on how loud you need to be in the mix with your band. If you dont play much clean, no prob, and if you are going thru a pa, no prob.

3) the od channel on the ods cleans up rather nicely rolling down the volume on the guitar. Not the best I have experienced, but it does the job very well.

The ods is a fantastic amp and has enough gain to do without od pedals imo. I think you should give the fuchs a try and see, remembering that it's not a Marshall inspired nor a modern high gain amp. You may be very suprised at its flexibility.

hope that helps.

8. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

I do not own one, but have played them many times.

as to #2 and #3, the Fuchs ODS 30 will do both and more. Using the tone bypass and/or the channel switcher, you would have no problem getting two great sounds at whatever two volumes you want. Also it will be able to clean up wonderfully both with the volume knob and just varying pick dynamics.

#1 - getting a great tone despite sty;e being played, that really depends on your definition. It is very versatile, can get classic rock sounds as well as clean & the smooth OD it's known for, but only your ears & taste can tell if it is what you are looking for in this regard. It is no one trick pony, and it is very versatile, but it is not as versatile as, say a Tremoverb or TDS.

9. rich2k4

i might pass on it, i'm not sure.

i'm really sick of buying amps. i just want 1 amp that can do it all sorta, even though i know there would some compromises.