• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fuchs ODS 30 vs ODS 50 and SLX questions..

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Anyone compared an ODS 30 to an ODS 50? How much of a difference is there in tone with the added power available from the 50? Also, the model I'm looking at is a non slx version. What would be the tonal differences in an SLX version vs a non SLX version?

I fell in love with and ODS 50 over the weekend but am considering an ODS 30. I'm sure the 50 was an SLX version.

m@2

i have compared them, ended up getting the ODS 50. although I sold it about 6 months later, I really enjoyed the amp (I had the head with matching 1X12 cab). A ton of range with these. Decent cleans in both, slightly more headroom in the 50, and a TON of gain on tap with either. Only reason I sold is I prefer a "set it and forget it" type amp, and the FUCHS was just too much amp for my needs

fullerplast

I've owned both and preferred the older ODS30 by a wide margin.

Cathode biasing and ability to use either 6V6's or 6L6's (with no re-biasing) are significant differences. If you want a tighter amp with more headroom then the 50W may be more appropriate, but frankly the 30W is more than loud enough for most venues these days, and I like the extra sag and compression of a cathode biased amp.

jspax7

My ODS30SLX is hand tuned. I had a warranty issue with mine, and since I was sending it in for service, I decided some tweaks were in order...

I played a new ODS50SLX, and was very impressed. The 50 was so much better than my 30 (early SLX) that I would recommend a current version.

Since mine is hand tuned, I can't offer a direct comparison, but generally speaking, the 30 is (imo) more vintage sounding. A bit more of a raw voice, but still unmistakably an ODS. Headroom has yet to be an issue with a 6 piece band. I play at moderate volume, and almost always mic the amp. The 50 was smoother, and cleaner.

If you can demo current versions of each, (A/B) the differences should be apparent. It's more than just a headroom choice.

ymmv

jspax7

I've owned both and preferred the older ODS30 by a wide margin.

Cathode biasing and ability to use either 6V6's or 6L6's (with no re-biasing) are significant differences. If you want a tighter amp with more headroom then the 50W may be more appropriate, but frankly the 30W is more than loud enough for most venues these days, and I like the extra sag and compression of a cathode biased amp.
I agree with the 2nd paragraph. Never had the opportunity to play a pre-SLX.

Fuller; Were your amps stock, or tweaked?

fullerplast

I agree with the 2nd paragraph. Never had the opportunity to play a pre-SLX.

Fuller; Were your amps stock, or tweaked?
Both hand-tuned by Lerner. The 30 was "pre-SLX" (if you can still call it that after Scott put his paws in it;)) with early hand tuning, and the 50 was a recent SLX, with his latest hand tuning.

hendrix2430

I've had three of them: a pre SLX Mod (DRRI), pre SLX ODS50 and SLX30. I only own the SLX30 now.

They are all excellent, and I could see why people would prefer the pre SLX. I was floored by the mod when I got it (5 years ago). 6 months later I bought the 50W and it had basically the same voice, just clearer/more responsive, and also very important to me: a fantastic construction.

About two years ago, I bought a ODS/SLX30. I had the 50W and 30W together for a short while, and used them with the same cab.

That was two years ago, but if I recall the 30W (SLX) was slightly more mellow sounding...not quite as hard in the low end, and also had a sweeter high end. The 50W had a tendency to get a bit strident at some settings.

I don't recall one being smoother than the other, both were smooth as silk if needed. However, I felt the 30W was almost like a "voice" with all its subtleties, even more dynamic than the 50W (hard to do!), which is why I kept it.

Have fun choosing your next amp!

kingsxman

Gold Supporting Member
Good info. Not sure if I will like the sag and compression...although I dig my Lil dawg amp which also has 6L6's.

Biggest issue to me is that this is not an slx....and I think its about $500 to get that added.

Trending Topics