Fuchs ODS-50 vs Fuchs ODS-100 - What are the Differences?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hardys, Jul 21, 2008.

1. hardys

hardys Member

I've recently been perusing the Dumble type amp threads here on TGP and have seen a number of players mention that they prefer the 100 watt versions of these amps. The opinions are that the 100 watters have a bigger, richer sound at the same volume levels as their 50 watt counterparts. Does anybody find this to be true with the Fuchs ODS-50/ODS-100? I love my ODS-50 SLX, but I'm always up for bigger tone.

Can the ODS-50 be upgraded to a 100 watts?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  2. Deaj

Deaj Member

I have an ODS-50 SLX and I've done some work in my amp. They do share the same chassis - the chassis is punched to accomodate the additional 2 output tube sockets. The transformers would almost certainly have to be changed out and changes would need to be made in the power supply as well. My guess is that it would be an expensive conversion but you're best off speaking with Fuchs about it directly. They're very helpful!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2008
  3. ShaunzNoiz

ShaunzNoiz Member

I find this to be absolutely true. I have a ODS100 head, which I purchased first, as well as a ODS30 combo. I have owned a ODS50 combo.

The 50 was the second amp in the Fuchs line that I owned. I thought that if the 100 sounded as wonderful as it did, that the 50 watter would be the same, just a little quieter. Not so. For a while I thought that I had just gotten a bad 50 watt amp. Then I played a few others. It's just that the amp in a 50 watt setting didn't move me the way the 100 watt amp did. Same thing with my 30 watt combo. I thought maybe it was the combo versus head thing, so I swapped all of them out and used them in various cab/ combo configurations, and the 100 watt just sounds better to me than all of them. More bass. More air moving. More low end. More push in the mids.

I also think it's going to be much cheaper to sell the 50 and just get a 100.

Just my 2 cents!

4. Frank C

Frank C Member

I have a 100 and I pulled the two outer 6l6 and there is a difference in how the amp responds, At 50 watt is just as big sounding as it was at 100 just a little different. For most gigs 50 watt is all you'll need. I agree that selling it for a 100 is probably more cost effective. Just plug 8 ohm cab into 4 ohm jack if you pull tubes.

www.myspace.com/matizo

5. hardys

hardys Member

Thanks for all of your input on this guys!

BTW...are any of you familiar with the new Fuchs ODS HRM? It's been making a little buzz here on TGP and I'm wondering how it compares to the standard ODS.

6. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Owned an Aug 2006 TDS-50. Sold it. Recently bought an ODS-HRM-100. Amazing amp! Totally different beast. Smoother, more pleasing OD tones (to my ears) and the HRM trims allow more control over OD tones.

7. hardys

hardys Member

I ended up selling my ODS-50 SLX for a Carol Ann ODS-100. I wanted less smooth and pretty...wanted a little more nasty and rocking. I haven't had the oppurtunity to audition an ODS HRM yet.

8. kurtsstuff

kurtsstuff Member

9. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I'm not so sure. I pulled a couple tubes in my HRM 100W and used the 4 ohm tap to match up impedances and I think the 100W setup with all 4 tubes sounded better, at any volume. Maybe Andy can chime in to explain why.

10. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

To not be too technical: More power more gooder. :)

11. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Even at low volumes? I'll take your word for it because I hear it for sure, but I'm not gettin' why. I know...shut up and play yer axe, right?

;)

12. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

IMHO, there's more than just the power going on....many quad power tube amps will have a bit more complexity and texture than dual power tube amps due to the additional tubes. I've heard it with quad 6V6 30W amps as well. More layers of slight tube mismatches combined together. Another thing is simply that bigger OT iron just sounds bigger and fuller.

Naturally all this is assuming that one is not going for output tube distortion, OT saturation, and power sag...all of which can be desirable attributes for many folks, albeit mostly outside the traditional D-style camp.

13. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

Speaking of mismatches, one thing I've done with the Fuchs HRM to take advantage of the four individual bias pots is install dissimilar power tubes. I've got two TAD short bottles on one side and two GT-6L6CHPs on the other, all biased to 36 mA. So one half the waveform conducts through the TADs and the other half through the CHPs. I tried several different tube brands and combinations and liked this combo better than using just one tube type of any kind. I don't know if it's the even harmonics due to asymmetry or just the blending of tone from two different types of tubes. Whatever it is, it sounds good, so I left 'em in there!