Fuchs ODS Classic - what's the word?

zosozep7

Platinum Supporting Member
I called in and spoke with the Fuchs team a few weeks ago ( I think Ben?) because the foot switch was a little confusing to me too. The second gain switch was throwing me off, apparently it relates to the middle position of the EQ switch (rock/tone-stack bypass/jazz), where the activating the foot switch sends the EQ to tone-stack bypass. My understanding of the footswitch/amp layout is:

Gain 1 (Footswitch) - Gain boost on Gain pull knob
Gain 2 (Footswitch) - Tone-stack bypass on EQ switch (Rock/TSBP/Jazz)
OD (Footswitch) - Input Gain pull switch
Boost (Footswitch) - Boost on the High pull knob
Reverb (Footswitch) - Reverb on/off, where off is when the light is on
This is very helpful!! Thank you!!

Festus

There's been a few questions on how flexible the ODS Classic can be. I've been using the ODS Classic for a few years now. Fantastic amp. I've been through so many other amps and this one is the keeper. I also have TAG's old Music Man 50/Fuchs mod. That little amp has such a cool vibe.

I can't say enough good things about Fuchs. Anyway, the ODS Classic is the perfect fit for me. I'm able to get great spanky cleans and fat od tones. It can take a little tweaking, but I find the amp super flexible. For really fat od sounds, the Boost switch is great.

Festus

Here’s a pic of two of my Fuchs amps. The top is your old Music Man/Fuchs, TAG. I had Andy make a headshell for it.

The bottom is the ODS Classic with 6L6 tubes.

Flatfish.

They sound ( a lot, like, identical ) like another amp, a famous amp that I also don't like the sound of.
To me, it sounds like a pedal, thick, too thick.
What's good about this amp is that you can't realistically get the other amp that it may or may not be a direct rip of.
I kinda like that.

Festus

I decided to try a pair of el34 tubes in my ODS Classic 50, some Mullard xf2 that I’ve had for a while.

A subtle but nice difference. It seemed to tighten up the low end a hair, and shift the Q for the mids upwards a touch. I’ll have to play it some more with the el34s in there, but I like it so far.

Killcrop

Silver Supporting Member
Can you get the clean to dirty up a bit? The videos all seem to showcase the clean headroom of the clean channel.

Festus

Can you get the clean to dirty up a bit? The videos all seem to showcase the clean headroom of the clean channel.

I can’t say I’ve tried that yet. I usually run the the clean “clean”. I’ll give it a go and see what happens.

gkelm

Silver Supporting Member
Up comes a thread from the past. ;) Long ago I owned an ODS 30, BJ 21 (original), and Train 45…all great amps, but casualties of flipping.

Slowed way down on that in the last decade or so, since I’m fortunate to have coupe amps I’m really happy with.

But a couple amps have crept in recently, and just yesterday, this…

Impressive tones!

3807F3F1-1B4F-4416-9D36-01A9827536E5.jpeg

erickkuhni

If you run the clean input gain up and use either (or both) boosts in conjunction with the master volume, you can get a nice overdrive there. A particularly good blues/slide tone.
That's the way I think it sounds best - Tone Stack Bypass, first gain up past 2:00, then just depending on the situation either the gain boost or mid-boost, or both. I also like to keep the accent at around 11:00 for this sound.

skhan007

Speaking of dialing in the ODS50, I started a thread last year to get input on how people are setting up their D-Style amps. First, there are amazing clips of the ODS50 on-line and the possibilities are limitless, given all the boosts, EQ switches, etc. Here's the thread for reference, which has a great deal of input from many TGP cats:

Also, I like to have my clean channel with the gain boost on, as I like dirty clean, then put on the overdrive channel for more gain. With the mid-boost or boost 2 (tone stack bypass) on, it's pure sustaining bliss. Amazing lead tones.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
Speaking of dialing in the ODS50, I started a thread last year to get input on how people are setting up their D-Style amps. First, there are amazing clips of the ODS50 on-line and the possibilities are limitless, given all the boosts, EQ switches, etc. Here's the thread for reference, which has a great deal of input from many TGP cats:

Also, I like to have my clean channel with the gain boost on, as I like dirty clean, then put on the overdrive channel for more gain. With the mid-boost or boost 2 (tone stack bypass) on, it's pure sustaining bliss. Amazing lead tones.

That was a great thread. We need to do more like that.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom