Fuchs ODS mod shipping to me on Monday, need help with controls!!! :)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by GuitarGuy510, Jun 23, 2006.

1. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Well after a delay/mixup from Mojo getting my musicman 65 head cabinet re-tolexed, my Fuchs is almost ready to go!! Ships out on Monday!! :dude That being said, I was able to play with one for a little while at a forum member's house (if you read this, thanks again Carl!) however I didn't touch a single knob on the amp because someone else set it up for me. Can anyone give me some sample settings (and explain the controls?) to get a good variety of tones out of the amp? I'm particularly curious about how to get that Santana-esque tone out of it, but also curious what you guys set it to for rock and jazzier settings? Any help would be most appreciated... I would just call up Andy and talk with him about it, however I know he is SUPER-busy and there are other guys waiting for their amps so I don't want to take up his time for stuff like this. Also if anyone has time, can you give me a fairly in-depth explanation of how all the controls interact (I know there are push-pull knobs on the amp, what do they do) and if there are any seemingly "hidden" features on the amp, I would REALLY appreciate some help on how to dial them in! :drool Thanks guys!!! :)

2. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Bumping this one back up, I grow anxious with my amp on the way.... I'd like to be able to dial it in fairly quickly once I get it opened up and warm the tubes up! Any help here guys? I KNOW there's some Fuchs ODS guys on here, and I KNOW they know how to set them, help a brotha' out! ;)

3. willhutch

willhutch Member

Regardless of what anyone tells you, you'll still need to dink with the amp to figure it out.

I met Andy F at a clinic and asked him how he dials in the amps. Check it:

Master volume: around at least 12:00
    Gain: 9:00 - 12:00
    Tone knobs: All of them down around 9:00. According to Andy, this yields flattest EQ.
    Lead chanel gain: 3:00
    "rock" EQ setting
    "bright" and "bass" switches NOT engaged.
    None of the knobs pulled out.

This will give you a useful baseline tone with good contrast between the two channels. Make adjustments from here.

Having gigged a ODS50 for a couple years, I learned it is important to have the Master up at least to 12:00. This is necessary to get a large enough jump in SPL when engaging the lead channel.

4. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

EXCELLENT!!! Thank you sir, that was precisely the type of info I was looking for! That will help me dial it in a bit easier. I agree you have to tool around with the control on any amp but I was curious about pretty much all of the information you just provided me with, you read my mind! Thanks! :dude

5. scottl

scottl Member

I set mine up much differently.

Keep in mind that earlier ODS amps had different taper on some of the pots. Mine has the latest tapers. I also have a Skyline tnestack in mine. The stock ODS has a hybrid stack.

Input gain up around 12-1 oclock

Only rock on

Treble around 10-11 oclock

Mid around 12-1 oclock (depends on taper- stock ODS may be better with mids at 9 oclock due to pot type)

Bass around 12- 1 oclock (same as above-varies due to pot type)

OD in to taste - mine is usually around 11 oclock
    Od out to taste - mine is usually around 11-12 oclock

Master around 10 oclock (fwiw, you usually won't see the big boys with it higher unless it is audio taper. Fuchs uses linear taper. On my amp with audio taper I gigged with it at noon this weekend-that is less than 9 oclock on a linear!)

Presence on noon

6. scottl

scottl Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of Robben's amp from his gig last night. Note the master postion...... I completely disagree with the need to run the master up at noon (unless it is audio taper which the Fuchs is not) If you run the master so high, you will be running the preamp too low.

7. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

i was just about to ask a question about settings on fuchs/two rock/dumble type amps...i don't know if maybe its just me, but i've seemed to notice a bunch of folks run all their controls at around 4 (or 10:00/10:30)...any particular reasoning for this...reminds of that thing about fender tone stacks (6/6/6?).

8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

On the stock ODS, does Output=Lead Gain?
    There is a gain knob on the left side of the ampface, and an output knob between the input and the master knobs.
    Also, what is accent? Is that kind of a presence control?
    Thanks!
    S.
    j

9. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Gold Supporting Member

Scott,

Was he in the Philly area?

Joe

10. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey all!! It's HERE!!!! But, I have no cab at the moment.... :jo My friend needs to call me back about borrowing his VHT cab for a little while already!!! :drool I'm drooling over here! I was curious about the function (and how they interact) of the knobs listed above by TNJ. Anyone care to give an explanation? I can't WAIT to start playing with this thing..... arg it's like TORTURE..... looks good... has that new amp smell... mmm... Andy if you see this thread bro, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!!!! :BEER :BEER :BEER

11. scottl

scottl Member

Where in PA? I am outside Philly. You should come by. I have a ton of cabs and speakers. That way you can hear what works best for you.

Scott

12. scottl

scottl Member

Don't have to since Fuchs uses linear. Whether or not Robben's is audio or linear is moot. It conclusively shows that the master is not run as high as Will suggests. Fwiw, I have no frickin' clue what is in Robbens amp. The picture was taken by Gil Ayan in LA to answer the other question.

SL

13. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Hey Scott,

Shoot me a PM with your phone #, I live right outside Philly myself (Media, to be precise), and I'll stop by whenever is cool for you! It says Cherry Hill under your profile, do you live near the Guitar Center/Cherry Hill Mall area? Oh btw, I stopped by your website and was listening to a bunch of your clips... you are a GREAT player sir!! I'd love to come over just to watch you play for a bit! :cool:

14. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

If the amp is much less of a clone than many other D-inspired amps, why post a pic of Robben's amp as a setting suggestion? Not takin' the piss here, just curious...

15. scottl

scottl Member

Dumbles power amp is basically a Fender Blackface. So, all of these amps rely on a cleanish Blackface power delivery. The tone is preamp. I merely showed Robben's amp to backup my suggestions. Noon or more on the master is too loud! We all know how loud RF is in concert and he is not even close to noon....

Did that answer it? :)

16. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Sure - just hit me as odd...

17. GuitarGuy510

GuitarGuy510 Member

Thank you sir, I'm QUITE excited. I will be using this mostly for nailing Santana-esque tone as he's really one of my favorite lead guitarists, however it's surprising how versatile the clean and OD channels of the amp are. I have only been able to play the Fuchs for a little while, and I'm curious to see how mine will differ from the one I tried out, but I was VERY impressed. Plus, to cover the versatility spectrum, I have my Randall RM50 which is the modular tube head based on the design from Bruce Egnater. I can swap out the preamp modules to get totally different sounds... pretty cool stuff! Between these two amps, I think I'll be set for a while! :drool

18. jspax7

jspax7 Member

My settings look a lot like Robben's. Even though it's not the same amp, I found my tone by starting with everything on 12:00, except for the masters. (Around 10:30 on those) From there I just adjusted to taste.

Even though most guys don't use the jazz switch, I like it because it sounds just like the clean channel until you dig in.:cool:

Very smooth touch sensitive blues tone. Every switch and control is effective. Try all the options. Lots of great tones in these amps.

BTW, I favor a humbucker equipped guitar with mine. My current favorite is a Guild Bluesbird with Duncan 59's.

19. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

I also start with everything (except Master Volume and Reverb) at 12 o'clock. Rock setting, no treble, bass, mid, or gain boost. I then adjust the tone and Accent controls to suit the room and OD In to taste. I use other settings as well but generally speaking this is how I use mine.

20. DWB1960

DWB1960 Senior Member

Yup. Here's my setting FWIW. ODS30-SLX running with only 2 6V6s and using a Airbrake on either the 2 or 3 setting.

(from left to right)

11:30 - all switches down - 12:00 - 9:30 - 9:30 - 11:30 - 9:00 - 9:00 - reverb off. The EQ doesn't really count cause I have the lead boost pulled. Amazingly touch responsive and dynamic tone with gobs of harmonic complexity and the volume isn't much more than a loud TV.

And maybe the best part is how it lets the individual character of each different guitar I play thru it come thru. My last setup of using a Carr Mercury with a Tonebone in front kinda homogenized my tone no matter what I plugged into it.

The Fuchs ODS is the holy grail I've been searching for for the last 10 years.