1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchs ODS or Two Rock Custom Reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by clothwiring, Mar 13, 2006.

1. clothwiring

clothwiring Supporting Member

If you had to choose between a Fuchs ODS or Two Rock Custom Reverb which would you say is doing the better job at a Dumble?

2. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

I have not personnally heard a Dumble, but I have played through a Two Rock Custom Reverb and I own a Fuchs TDS 50. So I cannot say which one does a better job at being a Dumble. I purchased the Fuchs because IMO it sounded as good or better than the Two Rock for about $2K less.

3. bigjoeblue

bigjoeblue Member

What was different about the two?

4. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I own a TwoRock E.Pro, and a Fuchs SLX. I have played three Dumbles for many many hours. I WANTED a Custom reverb....until I played one. I A/Bd it with two Dumbles, a Bruno S 100, and the TwoRock E.Pro. IMO, the Fuchs SLX is FAR, FAR better than the Custom reverb. Smoother, more open, and bigger sounding. I also like the E.Pro WAY more than the Custom reverb. The post overdrive tone stack on the E.Pro gives it a totally unique sound that even the Fuchs can not immitate. (The Fuchs SLX however, is my favorite of all of them.) INSANE amp. (Make sure you order one with the treble bleed knob.)
    :dude
    :BEER

5. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh man, there are scores of threads here about or tangential to this question, with lots of (different) opinions.

Bear in mind that there is no ONE Dumble sound. He made a lot of amps tuned differently for different clients.

jon

6. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I've owned a SLX and far prefer the 2Rock emerald Pro. Way easier to use and IMO a more rounded fuller Clean tone that is to die for with a good Tele. I thought the overdrive was steller on both amps......but the clean on the Emerald Pro is just incredible. Stick a G2D Creamtone in there and I dare you to find a better blues tone. But thats just me..........:BEER

7. scottl

scottl Member

Just to clarify.... The cleans on the "new" SLX amps are fuller and fatter than the original SLX amps. Not to say that models change over time, but as with any companies products, improvements or changes are made that address perceived shortcomings.

Didn't you have a 30 watter?

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

They're different amps. You really have to play them both to understand what they're about, and what the differences are. Both are excellent.

Everyone's going to have an opinion; no two players are exactly alike, or would agree on exactly the same "ideal" tone, IMHO.

I like the feel and sound of the TRs better, but hey, it's all a matter of personal preference. You have to play both to understand what the differences are, and frankly, at the price point of either amp, it makes sense to travel a little and try out both brands.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I went through that choice a while back, but for me it was simply which one sounded better. I didn't really care which sounded more like a particular Dumble.

I decided the only way I would be able to really compare them would be to have them both for a while and use them in a variety of situations. I picked up both of them used, played them both for a month; at home and at gigs, and with a variety of guitars. I kept the one I preferred and sold the other for what I paid for it. For me, it was the ODS30 that I wanted to keep. The four output tube, cathode biased power stage probably was a good bit of the difference, along with the SLX mods. Of course if I had never tried the Fuchs, I probably would have been very happy with the Two Rock CR. It's a fine sounding amp too.

Like bluesdoc said, do a search...this has been discussed considerably in the past.

10. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

Which kind of Dumble? Ultrasound Tan,Chris Cross,Lowell George,David Lindley,Jackson Browne,Robben Ford,Larry Carlton-those would be the more commonly known ones....?

11. scottl

scottl Member

Both models have great tones.... I'd be happy with either one, truth be told. (at least until my soldering iron warms up...LOL)

Fwiw, Fuchs offers a very nice dealer upgrade program that will mod an amp you buy used to the latest SLX specs. So, even if you are not the original owner, you can find a deal on a used amp and send it in to Andy for the upgrades. The cost is VERY reasonable and far less than what some of the other companies charge for far less work.

Happy customers in the field are the best advertising a company can ask for!

Scott

12. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

No doubt.......you would be hard pressed to find a company with better Customer support then Fuchs. Outstanding company with outstanding products. I just don't think I was even prepared for my 2Rock experience when I first played it. Knocked me on my ass and thats what this stuff is all about. And whats good for one person is different for another. Thats a good point about the early SLX to the more modern ones........no doubt things get better and better each mod. But damn........My Two Rock is a sweetie. I just really love it . Thats all I'm here to say.......I'm not putting down any of Andy's fine fine amps..........just saying I LOVE my Emerald Pro . Try them all......if you can be as happy as me with any of them buy it!! :RoCkIn