Fuchs ODS/TDS people...have a favorite delay??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by klaetos, Apr 10, 2008.

1. klaetos

klaetos Member

I am looking around for a new delay probably analog. What are you using with your Fuchs? What's your favorite for a nice full sounding lead type of delay.

I have been using the DL4 with 60dry/40wet mix on the lo res with the amps reverb set at about 11:00 and this sound pretty good but the DL4 just ads a little something I don't like.

Thanks.

2. hardys

hardys Member

I use a Boss DD-20 for some light delays & slap back. It's easy to use, has a variety of delay tones, can pre-program a few presets & has tap tempo. Best of all, it doesn't suck too much tone. I use it in my ODS-50 FX loop.

I've tried a bunch of delays, including some very expensive booteek ones, but find the Boss does a great job for me. It's a very nice sounding delay, especially for around $220.00.

3. danel59

danel59 Member

+1 on the DD-20. I have mine it the parallel loop as well and no noticeable tone difference. I set it on top of the head and can turn it on and off with an external footswitch. This is my second one, I had sold the first only to see the error I made when I let it go.

Dan

4. klaetos

klaetos Member

I might have to check out a DD-20. Anyone else using a delay with their Fuchs?

5. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I don't know if all Fuchs, or the ODS series has it, but the TDS has a settable parallel or series effects loop. I have only ever worked (in amps, on mixing consoles/home recorders I have used them) with series.

It got me thinking, that I need to think a little bit about how to use it best. Since many delays pass signal (at least on one channel) when off...I would prefer it to not be part of the sound when no delay is on. Some delays have a true mix knob, and I guess 100% wet is the way to go there, but I then either want to use the output (on delays that have them) that is the effected signal only?

Once I get used to the TDS alone, no effects, I am going to be trying various delays that I have and can also report back on what I find out here.

Delays: Deep Blue Delay, Nova delay, BYOC delay, DE-7, Reel Echo, Digidelay, AD-999, H20. I think that's it...

6. klaetos

klaetos Member

Yes the ODS30 has the parallel/series switch as well as a volume for line in/out on the loop, and a cut type switch. The DL4 doesn't seem to mess with the tone much when off...except for in the looper mode which keeps a delay going through even when off.

Let us know how thing sound when you start playing around with the delays.

7. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Goudie Delay, TRex Replica, Eventide Timefactor, Boss DD20 are all very good

8. unvs

unvs Member

+1 for the T-Rex Replica. Fantastic pedal.

9. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Timefactor! You can set it to "Kill Dry" and it's just glorious through the loop of my ODS30.

10. klaetos

klaetos Member

I have been eyeing the Timefactor. :drool Is it easy to switch between presets on the fly without a midi controller?

11. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

Piece of cake. Much easier than the Nova I had before imho. Just lay them out "logically" for you and it's a no brainer.

12. jzucker

No, not really. One big flaw is that you can't go downward in the bank selector, only up. Also be forewarned that the software is buggy and glitchy.

13. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

I have a Fuchs TDS 50 and having a terrible time finding a delay that doesn't effect the drive channel negatively. Plus all the delays I've tried I do not like. The DL4 I like the best if I have to choose, but every delay when used on the drive channel produces a tone like I have one of those digital floor effects units. Totally kills it for me. Perhaps I'm just not a delay person or I'll try the Eric Johnson way next. Mike the cabinet and run that signal through a delay and then that comes through the monitors.

14. jzucker

doesn't make any sense. With the effect loop, an eventide or nova or replica should sound awesome.

15. Deaj

Deaj Member

I use a 1/2-U Boss SE-70 rack unit 100% wet in the effects loop (parallel) of my ODS-50 and it sounds amazing!

16. klaetos

klaetos Member

Didn't some of these issues get fixed? I thought I read somewhere that they worked out some of the bugs in the newer software versions. Not being able to go down in the bank selector would be a problem...thus the need for a midi controller.

Although I like the idea of the timefactor I am leaning toward the retro-sonic. Analog with the half delay-time switch sounds good.

I have also had problems with the delay in the loop causing issues. It probably is due to the non-true bypass...when I have the DL4 in "loop" mode it keeps the delay on as well so there is no true bypass even when you end the loop, if I do this with reverb on then click into OD channel it doesn't sound good.

17. jzucker

In mine, I can only go up.

I'm looking forward to the t-rex reptile delay/mod pedal.

I have a digiverb and timefactor in my effect loop and it works perfectly with both channels of my OD special amp.

18. DavidS

DavidS Supporting Member

Blackface Intellifex in the loop. Works and sounds great.

19. Burst59

Burst59 Member

I used a T-Rex Replica in both a TDS and ODS and it sounded fantastic.