Fuchs ODS30SLX growing on me.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

If you read my initial impression of the ODS30SLX a while back you know I really dug this amp from the start. But now that I’ve had some time with her I am really just starting to get the most out of it. There is quite a range of tones that can be coaxed from this little beast so I can’t even begin to try to describe all of them. But I have made some very pleasing general observations about the tone that I will attempt to describe.

First off depending on how the amp is set you can achieve a substantial amount of clean headroom. I can’t imagine needing more unless I was playing very large rooms without micing it maybe. The tone I have dialed in that is inspiring me the most is a chunky medium gain / overdrive tone that goes from very clean to smoldering harmonic decay with no more than guitar volume control and pick attack. The tone is very warm and chunky. The lead tones sound and feel very thick while seemingly clean at the same time (I know, I know.. but that’s the only way I can think of to describe what I’m hearing). Brush harmonics are effortless and as I said harmonic decay is on demand at any time clean or overdriven which can make the amp sound very hot even when fairly clean. That is a very cool trick indeed! This is made possible in part by the incredible touch sensitivity of this amp. But I have to say I’ve had very touch sensitive amps many time over the years that didn’t have the magic the ODS possesses.

Most impressive and moving for me though, is the nice, natural, “woody” midrange warmth to the overall tone. It’s a characteristic I have loved any time I’ve heard it over the years but have played very few amp able to attain it. This amp has it. And I love it. Ok, enough useless adjective that most can’t relate to any way. As we all know all too well tone is very subjective and very hard to verbalize. But like many of us here I just had to spread the joy after having such a moving playing experiences. So there you have it. The ODS30SLX is a fantastically toneful amp and one I can't imagine any true tone hound not loving.

my .02

Steve ;)

2. danel59

danel59 Member

Thanks for the post Steve. My ODS 30 head is in Andy's hands right now getting the SLX mod. I can't wait to get mine back! I'll post my feelings on it when I get it

3. Deaj

Deaj Member

Thanks for the update Steve!

I bought an ODS50SLX combo a couple of months back and my experience has been very similar to yours. Wonderful amps!

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Yeah Deaj. It was one of your clips a while back that finally pushed me over the edge finally pull the trigger on one. And boy am I glad I did.:)

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I can feel your excitement. The ODS30 has some real special features that make is extra sweet IMHO. One is the fact that it's cathode biased so you can try any brand 6V6 tubes you like and never need to bias. Another feature is the ability to run 6L6's if that's your desire. That opens a whole new realm of tonal possibilities and again no biasing needed! And unlike many cathode biased amps I've played over the years you don't pay for it with a sloppy, flubby bottom end. She's always very tight and responsive. I just can't think of anything I don't like about this amp!:D

6. Srini

Srini Guest

I feel the same way about my Princeton ODS mod. Granted its not an SLX (I have no idea what that does for you), but the way it is set up for me is perfect. I really do like it the more I use it - even without mucking around with the settings. It begs to be played like an instrument...I guess is the best way to describe it.

Srini

7. mentoneman

mentoneman Guest

so fretty,

what you are trying to say is that a body with one mojave peacemaker and one ODS or TDS SLX fuchs 30 watts and beyond could pretty much cover the bases?

the fuchs seems to be winning my fuchs/two rock jones...:D

8. Deaj

Deaj Member

I'm hoping an ODS30 shows up at our Fuchs dealer - I'd really like to play one.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Agreed! I think the ODS30 is the most versatile in the power section of all the ODS amps, for this reason. It's not as saggy as some other cathode biased amps due in part to the SS rectification and pretty substantial filtering. The most amazing thing is how great it sounds clean as well as in OD mode. I do think that in a large band with keys, another guitar, and/or horns you would want the extra headroom of the 50 or 100.

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Let's just say it would be really hard to find a base that wasn't covered my Mo Bro.:D ;)

11. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Thanks to your reviews Fret and the clips of Tag and Scottl I had to buy one too. I got the ODS30, but I dont' think it is the SLX. I really love it so far, a real keeper. What difference tonally does the SLX mod make?

12. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Changes it completely. I will post clips of my Fuchs later today pre and post SLX. Totally different amp. It should be called a different model. Oh yea, it is. :D

13. Neil

Neil Member

Hi Steve,

You definately have an SLX. Check the serial number against the Fuchs site.

Regards
    Neil

14. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Hi Neil, are you the Neil that I bought it from? So it is an SLX?

15. Neil

Neil Member

and it is!

Hows it working for you?

Neil

16. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

I love it so far! I am still wanking with the 6l6's, I will plug in the 6v6's in the next couple of days to try them out. I can't wait to hear the difference. Thanks again Neil.

17. danel59

danel59 Member

Well I just got my amp back from Andy and I haven't had a lot of time with it yet but all I can say it was well worth the wait! It seems to respond dynamically, clean and OD, even more so than before. The tone is just sweeter, rounder, more bloom and yet still has that articulation. Hard to describe and I still need to tweak. Haven't tried 6v's yet

18. bob-i

bob-i Member

Great report, great amp.

Check out Larry Carlton's setup using the Dumble ODS, almost the same as the Fuchs. He uses a single 12" cab miked through his own PA where he takes the dry guitar tone and adds signal processing.

[​IMG]

No one can dispute that Carlton gets great tone. BTW the second head is a spare.