Fuchs ODS30SLX - Holy Sh*t!! Where has this amp been all my life?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Sep 7, 2005.

1. v-verb

v-verb Member

Agreed

2. scottl

scottl Member

Sheesh you guys! I was joking! There was a tonefest ( https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...ge=15&highlight=seattle tonefest&pagenumber=6 ) and it was commented that Jim's particular amp was deemed most worthy on THAT day...... I was only referring to a PUBLICALLY posted comment in this forum. The comment was not intended in a macro scope. Only referring to that amp on that day... Everyone was probably drunk anyway....... What do they know!!! ;)

No need to blow it out of proportion. No slight intended...

That amp was my friends and I spent many an hour with it. So, I felt proud for my "baby" LOL

:D

3. rwe333

rwe333 Member

I'm always honest/upfront w/ Scott - I'm entitled to my impression of the post. It could be taken as arrogant over proud. Scott has shifted somewhat from player to designer/consultant and perhaps that orientation should be reflected in his posting style. Think he'll get where my head's at - I'm a grown-up drunk w/ a sense of humor.
    If the comment was related to another Tonefest/thread, I missed it.

4. scottl

scottl Member

No prob Wayne..... I should have disclaimed my comment as an inside joke between Jim Martin and myself. (as I just did in my edit)

I have not now, or ever, intended to put down any competitors product. In fact, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all finely crafted pieces of musical gear.

Whatcha drinkin'????? Care to share? I could use something to wash down the humble pie.... LOL

5. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Old Speckled Hen - a fine English ale. :BEER

I didn't catch the previous thread reference - I thought, "Geez, one builder's dissing another and AF seems pissed in his follow-up!" ;)

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

nice, Fret... mine is a nonSLX, and i've been loving mine for the past 3 yrs. or so.

and yes, andy i WILL pick it up soon. soon!!! :D

7. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Not pissed-off Wayne, just an inside joke.

What's unfortunate (and/or frustrating) for myself and others (like Scott), is how being affiliated with a manufacturer can affect how you can post, and how it's perceived. This thread became a classic example.

There are amps I respect as a builder as well as a player, and numerous others I think are overrated, or just plain poor sounding. It's no different with guitarists and playing styles. There's lots of guys I respect technically, but don't care for what they actually play, but it doesn't make them bad guitarsts. Same deal.

I've often spoke with forumites off-line who have agreed about particular products, but we realize that it would look like "sour grapes" or a competitor just being jealous, when it ain't the case.

Coming from "just anyone" on the forum, or coming from someone who builds or mods amps, makes any statement a whole "different" statement. That's why we walk the fine line we do.

And btw: I've been complimented more than once by moderators for maintaining the level of professionality I do despite slags, barbs, BS, and so forth.

8. rwe333

rwe333 Member

Thanks for the follow-up...
    My take on things is that if a product is great it can stand on it's own merits - there's no need to undermine the competition.
    I'd be very wary of any business that goes out of their way to diss others - shows a lack of confidence.
    Of course competition exists in the marketplace and businesses exist 'cause they feel there's a need/niche to be filled. It can be a fine line, and some balance better than others.
    And, yes, one probably does need to be careful how they post if affiliated w/ a manufacturer - same goes for me as an endorsing artist for a several companies...

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Age old debate topic here. Best is what works best for you. We've been down that 'this amp slays that one' road too many times, and it always ends up ugly, and more importantly, unresolved.

But we don't want to discourage opinions, that's what we're all here for, right ....?

I've seen many posters who prefer the pre-SLX models, because they're going for a more 'rock' sound. So it all comes down to personal taste (big shock!!).

I've gotten so I follow the opinions of certain posters, and ignore others, as I'm sure many people here do, as well. Over time you get to know who likes the same things as you ...

10. rh

rh Robo Sapien NoiseMaker Gold Supporting Member

What really bugs me is when there's a wide inconsistency between public and private statements. As if I'm supposed to feel privileged to learn that the speaker is a two-faced snake in the grass. :rolleyes:

It makes me wonder what that person says about me to other people.

(And no, I'm not implying this is in the least bit true of rwe333 just because I quote him. Anyone who speaks to Wayne privately knows he's up front all the time. :dude)

11. scottl

scottl Member

Yo Rich......... Amp is boxed in car. I'll drop it at Fedex at lunch. Of course, privately I just told my assistant I was gonna go after lunch. hisssssss

Hehe

Scott

12. rh

Way cool.

Whatever you tell your assistant is yer biz. ;)

13. rwe333

rwe333 Member

I just told my assistant we'd have lunch soon (OK, my assistance is our one-year old!).

FedEx NJ to NY - should be quick, huh?

14. rh

With a little luck I'll be playing it for my lunch tomorrow. :dude

15. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Congratulations and enjoy!! I can't say enough good things about my ODS. Fantastic amps!

16. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

I meant no offence by my comment either, it just seems everyone expects this level of professionalism from builders/designers on the forum (which is to be expected) but I just wish sometimes everyone would remember they are human too and just take everything (except for tone advice:D ) with a grain of salt. No dig meant to you.

-TJK

17. rwe333

rwe333 Member

All cool, mate.
    Thanks!

18. scottl

scottl Member

Almost noon on the east coast!! That means time to drink!!!

lol

19. rwe333

rwe333 Member

And what does one w/ 'ole dog ears' drink?

Perhaps Budweiser a la Spuds MacKenzie?

[​IMG]

20. scottl

scottl Member

Truth be told.... I am a puss. I drink unsweetened ice tea. I hate booze. Just doesn't taste good to me.

In the old days, you'd sooner find a bong in my hands instead of a bud. :D