Fuchs ODS30SLX on the way, now I need a CAB! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Axeplyr, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

Just bought Fretmaster's ODS30SLX from the Emporium. I have a couple of cabs (1960AX - greenies and 1960AV - V30's) but I'm thinking I need a 2x12 to diversify a bit!

I can pick up an unloaded 2x12 and put a pair of pre-Rola G12H30's in it (75Hz cones), or I can buy a 2x12 or 4x12 cab loaded with speakers suited towards a more jazzy/fusion/"Fordesque" type tone.

I would love some suggestions! Any of you Fuchs enthusiasts have a strong opinion about a particular cab/speaker combination for the ODS30SLX or similar head?

Thanks!

2. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

My buddy Dan will prbably chime in here in a moment, but he's using a THD 2X12 with the Vintage/Longhorn combination, and it sounds like...GOD. (Actually, that cab sounds great with everything). We need to know if anyone is using a single twelve cab with the 30SLX and how that's working out, or if anyone has tried neo-magnet speakers like Tonker Lites in a THD?(Serious weight issues here folks...the THD is only 45 lbs., but it needs to be about 30). Bueller? Tomo?-Eric

3. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

I dont know about closed vs. open...(I prefer open back myself).
    But, I do know that Andy favors the Eminence Wizard as a great matchup with the ODS. I heard him playing a Les Paul through that setup (OD50 head/112 cab w/ Wizard), and...WOW. Outstanding lead tones.
    I have also heard that the Two Rock 1265 spkrs work nicely. Again, I'd go 112 with the elliptical open back cab.
    S>
    j

4. Tomo

Tomo Member

I travel a lot in Japan. Bob Burt made me a special cab small one 12.
    16" by 16" This tiny cab makes really big sound. I coundn't believe.
    Now I am using this with Commonwealth. I loved the Tonkerlite
    very much. Bob Burt & Clay Jones loved it too. Hope you will.
    If you live close, I can show you this cab.

Tomo

5. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Seems like Tone Tubby Alnico 12 and a Celestion G12-65 (or the two rock 65) would sound pretty sweet in a 212 setting.

Running the thick and meaty ToneTubby on the floor and the big and airy 65 up top would really accentuate the amazingly articulate amp you just picked up.

If im not mistaken, Jbay555 has a Two Rock 212 that im sure he'd love to give a good home.

Good luck,

-Jon

6. m3g

m3g Member

Since I have an ods30slx 1x12 combo (with an Em. RW&B), I sometimes bypass the combo speaker an use a Germino open back 2x12 with greenbacks (non-heritage). Sounds fantastic, even better than the combo speaker (which sounds pretty good in it's own right).

I have also used my Tone Tuby 2x12 (TT anlico 12's hempcone) with the fuchs and it is very smooth sounding but quite a bit darker, as I prefer to play the fuchs with the mid boosted, btw.

7. notpetrucci

notpetrucci Member

Would the 65 not brighten up the response a little?

-Jon

8. tedjac

tedjac Guest

I think it is important to ask what style music you play and what tone are you seeking? Many Fuchs ODS players prefer speakers that don't add distortion to the sound... they (myself included) prefer to let the amp create the tone. For this reason, speakers like Emi Red, White and Blues, Emi Delta Pro 12a, and EVM12L are popular. They tend to be very break up resistant and bring a fat, smooth quality to the tone. They let the amplifier provide the character of the tone while staying relatively neutral and clean. I know some players like Celestion-type speakers and they do break up differently, as you know. I don't know exactly what the percentage of Fuchs players uses Celestion-type (British early distortion) speakers, but my feeling from reading these boards is that it is a minority, with most opting for the cleaner types. You should probably try a couple of each type and see what floats your boat. In any case, the Fuchs is a fantastic amp and I'm sure you'll have a blast with it.

9. jspax7

jspax7 Member

The current speaker of choice seems to be the Emi RW&B. Prior to that it was the Wizard. I have the RWB in a combo, and love it. Just for the sake of comparison, I plugged into a Celestion V30, and it was way too bright.

As tedjac said, decide what style you are using the amp for, and try a couple of different ones. The RWB is more EV-like, while the Wizard is has a more Celestion type response.

BTW, while I was waiting for my RWB, I tried a Mesa Black Shadow. (essentially a 90 watt Celestion) Very nice speaker with great dynamics, and reasonably good headroom.

One other option would be to get 2 identical 1x12 cabs, and put a different speaker in each. That way you have 2 different flavors. They might even sound good together. :cool:

Keep us posted on your results. Congratulations on your new amp! I love mine.

10. Axeplyr

Thanks for all of the great responses. So many to choose from, and everyone seems to have a different opinion! I've heard great things about the THD (recommended by Eric). Bob Burt's cabs come highly recommended as well. Actually, the Two Rock 212 recommended by Jon sounds pretty interesting! However, in all of this, I'm beginning to think that maybe it is best to go with an oval ported Fuchs 2x12 with the Eminence RW&Bs.

I'm going to have a hard time explaining what I'm looking for. Most of my gear to this point is vintage-voiced. Looking in my sig, you can tell I've pretty much got classic rock covered. So, with that in mind, I'm really interested in a well-balanced fusion-type tone similar to Ford or Carlton. I really want a combination that will bring out the best in this head, allowing its organic tone dynamic response to shine through and letting the amp's tone (as well as the guitar's tones) shine.

I saw Robben Ford last week here in Seattle. His tone was unbelievable. He had his Dumble and the vertical 2x12 cab, his Tele, and a goldtop Les Paul. His tone and playing were spot on - the tone of his Tele was especially impressive, big as a Steinway. And the LP was fatter'n the butcher's bulldog.

While I hate to say that I want to sound just like Robben Ford (because I like versatility), I would be perfectly happy to have a tone as great as his was on that evening.

11. danel59

danel59 Member

Thanks Eric

Just got back in. Yes I love the THD 2x12 with the ODS30SLX. The ODS just came alive even more with that than what I had previously used. The 2 x 12 just has a great air and 3D quality to it. But as Eric stated I am having to lighten the load due to neck/shoulder issues. So I am looking at either getting a 1x12 cab with a good sounding speaker such as the RW&B or perhaps the Tonker. But if the Tonker Lights sound good that would be enough of a weight savings to keep the 2 x 12 which I would rather do (Sorry Eric ;-)!)

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Scumbacks!! haven't tried a fuchs, but a Two Rock through the SA1275HP sounded fantstic with the Sig we ran through it.

As for cabs, lots of great makers. I'm using Ken's Cab's right now, but Avatar is great, I love bob burts stuff. Also Southbayampworks.com (Jim's company, IE Scumbacks, cabs, amps) has a cool convertable back that sounds great.

COngrats on the Fuchs. Fabulous amps.

13. tedjac

tedjac Guest

The Red, White and Blues will get you most of the way there... but having both the RWBs (2 in a Fuchs 2X12 Combo) and the Emi Delta Pro 12a, I would choose the Delta Pro 12a. This speaker is VERY EVM12L-like and simply sounds amazing. With my Fuchs ODS30SLX at about 9 o'clock on the master and about 1 o'clock on the OD, this speaker just sounds amazing and it nails Larry Carlton. Back off on the OD to about 11 o'clock and it cleans up a bit and nails Robben's cleaner tone. The Delta Pro 12a is more expensive (about $129) and heavier than the RWB, but it is just fatter and cleaner and creamier. Considering the new reissue EVM12Ls cost about $200, the Delta Pro 12a is a great deal. Carrying two of them around in a 2X12 cabinet will be a chore... but the tone will be worth it.

Ted

14. Axeplyr

Thanks again for the info. I just got an email from Andy, apparently they use mojotone cabs. So I'm snagging a mojotone 2x12 and I'm going to try my pre-Rola G12H-30's first. If they don't work, some of the other suggestions (i.e. Emi RWBs, Emi Delta Pro 12a, etc.) will be next.

If these pre-Rola G12H30's don't do it for me in the new cab, I'll likely sell them to fund the other options. I'll let eveyone know what transpires!