Fuchs ODS50 dialing..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by texasflood_dk, Jan 21, 2008.

1. texasflood_dk

texasflood_dk Member

I really love my Fuchs amp.I have only had it for two years.
    It is a '2005 ODS50SLX head and a 2x12 closed Fuchs cab loaded with Eminence Wizards.
    A month ago I finally got hold of a '87 Fender Esprit Robben Ford model (spruce top) which is a real nice guitar.
    I allready got a Fender Esprit standard but I must say that this RF model really was worth the extra doe.

Now I like to start out with some dialing from others to come close to the *umble tone that some of us crave for.
    So if someone got some dialing from their Fuchs amps which I could use as a starting point, I would really appreciate it.

Also if someone got some advice on enhancing feedback it would be greatly appreciated.
    I may be me, but I have had some difficulties making feedback with my Fuchs amp. Even at pretty high volumes I think it somewhat difficult.

2. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

It's pretty easy to get "that" tone with the ODS IMHO. Depending on what tone you are looking for ( see "that" thread ) , I usually keep the High at about 10 o'clock, mid at 12 or 1, low at 1 o'clock or so depending on cab and guitar. Gain anywhere from 11 or 12, accent 9 o'clock , switches off, sometimes deep on...rock also...No...it doesn't "nail it" but pretty close to my ears...

3. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Did you try using a "reverse Phase/polarity" speaker cable? These amps apparently reverse phase an odd number of times. So by using a reverse phase cable it could possible react better with the instrument and help with the Feedback / harmonis issue. The speaker will react as it was designed to. All you need to do is take a normal speaker cable unsolder the ends and solder them back the opposite way (only one side of course). You might want to get a new cable for this and A/B them and decide for your self. I fell there is a difference. There are a few threads on the topic.

I would also wait and see if Scottl comments when he gets back from Namm.

Good Luck.

ps. I am jealous. I want that guitar. :)

4. rgee27

rgee27 Supporting Member

Yes on the cable....seemed to add gain too as well as feedback/harmonics..

5. texasflood_dk

texasflood_dk Member

I measured the cable going from amp to cabinet.
    It is a straight through, so I guess I have to try a crossed one.
    The cable is the original from Andy Fuchs - why do he deliver a straight cable when it is known that a crossed sounds better....
    Or...is the connection from the back of the cabinet crossed within the cabinet ?

Pinner : I have inserted links to my signature to pictures of my gear, including the Fender Esprit Robben Ford.

6. pinner

pinner Silver Supporting Member

Sure rub it in LOL!!!

You could check the wiring but I think I remember hearing Andy say it is wired like normal.

I think the reason for the regular cable/wiring is a lot of other factors like even pedals could also flip the polarity so then it would be fine. I remember a situation when Scottl mentioned him hearing the difference when he bypassed the effects loop on his Glaswerks and heard the difference. By bypassing the loop changed the end polarity. I figure the key is to arrange your setup as if you would keep it (Guitar/pedals/etc) then try both cables and see if you like one better.

One more addition. I remember hearing from someone on the ampgarage forum say that if you warmup the amp for about 20 minutes, then turn the gain and overdrive around 2 and then increase the master until it feedsback. Then turn it down to what you want it at, it will react better/easier. Not so sure on this one though.