Fuchs ODS50 + Strats-anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by johnfindlay, Sep 21, 2006.

1. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

How do you like the way a Fuchs sound with a strat/tele?

I doubt Ill ever go PRS-but that combo gets a rave up.

thanks

2. shoe

shoe Member

I've test driven a ODS50 combo with a Suhr Alder Classic (V60lps) and thought it brought out the best of that guitar. Awesome cleans and great singing lead tones. Out of all the amps I tried with that guitar, that was the best sounding of the bunch.

3. NyteOwl

NyteOwl Member

I don't own a Fuchs at the moment, but had a Traynor mod and a production ODS50 combo a few years back. PRS did sound killer, but I moved to a G&L Commanche at about that same time, and based on how sweet that guitar sounded, I think a Tele would really sing through any Fuchs amp.

4. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

I own an ODS30SLX. I play three guitars through it - a '59 Les Paul reissue, a '52 Tele Reissue, and an Eric Johnson Strat. The Fuchs and either Fender is a match made in heaven. Really fattens up both guitars and lets their organic qualities shine through. I would argue that these guitars actually work better with the Fuchs than the Les Paul.

Conversely, the Les Paul/Marshall combination sounds better than the Fenders do with the Marshall.

5. evan_pollan

evan_pollan Member

I test drove a 50 watt ODS SLX about a year ago at Music Makers here in Austin. I didn't have my G&L with me, so one of the salesman let me use his Fralin-loaded Tokai strat. Sounded incredible. I still feel like an a$$ for not buying that amp after the guy let me use his personal guitar to wail away for about half an hour...

6. TimH

TimH Member

while we're on this topic....are Fuchs amps the kind that needs to be cranked up real loud to sound good? I know most amps sound a bit better at louder volumes but some just have to be up loud to sound great. Are Fuchs amps like this?

7. Axeplyr

Axeplyr Supporting Member

My experience is that the amp needs to be up a bit before the good stuff starts happening. Unlike my Marshall (pushed with a pedal), the Fuchs likes to be breathing a bit of fire before she starts delivering the goods.

It seems others have different experiences, however.

8. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

My Relic KILLs through my Fuchs ODS50. The mistakes are much more apparent though. Its not a good combination if your discouraged easily. :AOK The PRS sound fantasic also............ :RoCkIn

9. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Hey guys very imformative-keep it comin'!
    I have a feeling some of these high-performance vehicles/amps
    need to be cranked[floored!]-

I have a Bog. Metro-it sounds like poo until ya really krank it--
    mind you it its not really a 'clean' design either.

i would hope I could dial in a descent clean with the Fuchs-it seems that
    reviews point to that over at HC.

thx
    jf

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

ALL amps sound better cranked. Thats just what makes Rock N Roll .......Rock n Roll. But the Fuchs sounds better then most at lower volumes becuase of the unique Input/output seperate gain /Master Volume. Really a cool well thought out design. No other amp quite like it actually........and when you find something you like at bedroom volume wait until you are able to crank it some and you will really bring a smile to your face! [​IMG]

11. Madgansound

Madgansound Member

ODS30SLX and a '62 Strat reissue w/Fralin Blues is my current fav. gig rig (though an ES335 comes along too just to mix it up a little)...:)
    I love the amp for it's lightly overdriven blues tones as much as the smooth singing tones with the drive pushed hard. If I could only keep one.........wouldn't even question the Fuchs. Love Andy, love his amps even more.

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Hey guys: If you check the Phil Sayce website or CD, it's basically all ODS-100 and Strat's (albeit in some cases with boosters in front). Tomo is working on a soundfile project for another company, which will use Fuchs amps, so those files will be fairly representative. The John March soundfiles on the site are Suhr Strat through an ODS-100 throughout. The Vlad thread (with the videos) contains some cool tones from a Strat/ODS-50/212 cab in a live environment.

At some point I do plan to do some files myself of all of our amps with "standard reference" guitars. Strat, Tele, Lester, 335, done under the same circumstances with various speakers. Finding the time has proven difficult...Thankfully, we have lots of players willing to provide sound files for us.

13. Tom Gross

Tom Gross Supporting Member

My Fuchs modded bassman kills with my Tele. Set on the edge, I can go from clean to Gattonesque to scream by hitting the strings harder. Love that.

Just got an ash Anderson Hollow Classic, and it sounds fantastic thru the Fuchs.
    I dig D-Style amps because of the articulation, responsiveness, and capacity for dynamics within a phrase - that's also what I dig about Strats.

14. hendrix2430

hendrix2430 Member

I prefer mine with single coils, actually. I always like SC better though... ;)

15. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Thanks for the kind words Tom. And BTW, thanks for those CD's as well.
    af :)

16. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Wow-glad I asked-as I said Im on trick pony-strat player-and
    good to see Andy jumpin' in to!-I didnt realize that the company was
    this accessible-

ODS: -30 -50 -100W---I guess 100 is more than Ill ever need.
    -yet will it give me alot more clean head room-?-at least than the 30?

if i got a 100W and ran it lower would it sound 'choked'-like we were discussing above?
    or will the pre-amp section take care of that & give me a juicy sound at lower volumes?

---clock is ticking----i got a hold on a 100W + the cab I want to!!!!!!

thanks y'all.

JF

17. Jimmydeez

Jimmydeez Supporting Member

I love my ODS20 with my warmoth project tele. My PRS HBI is my main guitar. I think the Fuchs will work with any guitar. It is just such a great amp.

I got to open it up at practice this week and the lead tone I was getting with just the guitar and lead channel was exactly what I have been looking for.

18. Tomo

Tomo Member

Fuchs 50 & strats= Great tone for me...

Tomo

19. johnfindlay

johnfindlay Member

Hey-I didnt know that-some how I thought you were on old Fenders?

cool-whers yer web Tomo?

jf

20. Tomo

Tomo Member

I still own old Fenders, but all I use is my Fuchs 50. Much better tone than others.

My web address is www.tomofujita.com
    http://www.tomofujita.com/us/soundclip.htm
    Except "live" sound clips ... all Fuchs 50.

Tomo