1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Fuchs or Two Rock...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarguy3612, Oct 20, 2005.

1. guitarguy3612

guitarguy3612 Senior Member

So I've been in my tone search for some time now. I thought I had settled for a little while, buying a Two Rock Emerald 50 and 1x12 Cab. It really wasn't done for me though, the Emerald really was just a filler until I could get a Custom Reverb or a Sig. SO... I sold the Emerald 50. These past few weeks I've been trying to figure out where I want to go next in the amp search. I started checking out Fuchs with the SLX mods specifically. I went into my local dealer and he set me up in the back room with a Fuchs Overdrive Supreme and a Two Rock Opal (not my TR of choice but it did just fine.) I must say...after playing both I came away feeling the loss of my emerald. Two Rocks are just it for me. They just feel a ton more open in the sense of tonal dynamics. I felt like with the Fuchs I had to dial in to much in order to get a sound that was pleasing. With the Two Rock, the dials I feel aren't there to change the tone as much as give it a slight twist that you may or may not want. The dials really only effect much between 9-2 and aren't so much a 1-10 setting knob. Anyways, I'm sure if I would've fiddled with the Fuchs more I would've gotten some great sounds but for me I found it lacking when I would settle back in on the Two Rock. I mean honestly, we're talking BMW's versus Mercedes here but for me it's Two Rock for someone else it may be a Fuchs. I actually plan on getting both when I can afford it. Right now, it's time to save up for the Custom Reverb Sig.

2. 8nthatK

8nthatK Supporting Member

Sounds like you know what you want...cool.

I too have greatly preferred the 2Rock stuff to the Fuchs, by far actually. BUT, I've never played a newer SLX model, I hated the cleans on the older Fuchs, the newer ones are reportedly much better.
    ScottL sure makes the lead tones sound nice on the Fuchs, though he would probably get the 2Rock stuff to sound 'bout the same, lots of talent there.

Did you play a new Fuchs? That might level the field.

I would love to try one of the SLX models...

3. guitarguy3612

I acutally don't know how old it was...I'm not sure for me it would matter. To my ears a Two Rock just does what it does. It really makes me want to play my guitar and that's always a positive.

4. guitarguy3612

Hey Ya'll,

I'd just like to make some clarification. I'm not saying the Fuchs is worse than Two Rock in anyway. They are in my eyes, hand in hand. Both doing somewhat similar things but for MY tastes I like the Two Rocks sound more. I really want to own both a Custom Reverb and SLX ODS someday but for right now I'm gonna go for the Custom Reverb and get the ODS at a later time. Sorry if I upset anyone.

5. guitarguy3612

Right right, I know I was just meaing to clarify for my own reputation around here. I don't want people getting the wrong idea from me, thinking I am that much of a stubborn bastard when it comes to amps. Thanks for your help Scott. I will definately be in contact with you about stuff as it comes up in my search.

I'm actually looking into this Custom Reverb Sig that has the Suede outside and a Vox style grill. 100 Watts TOO!! it's really nice. Time to start getting the savings together.

6. OOG

OOG Member

7. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

I have a Two Rock low gain E.Pro, and a Fuchs SLX. Both sound great with no dialing in, and both are fantastic amps. The Fuchs overdrive channel is INSANE. UNREAL. INCREDIBLE. FANTASTIC. PHENOMENAL. The cleans are very close on both.

The Fuchs has the smoothest, most adjustable gain channel I have EVER heard. The treble bleed control is a must have.

To have a player as good as Scott tweaking an amp for the perfect overdrive is very rare. It shows.

8. wichita

wichita Supporting Member

I thought the Two Rock that I had was much more like my Dumble than the fuchs. The fuchs seemed more like a tweeked boogie than a Dumble. Depends upon what you want I guess.

9. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I would suggest an economical alternative to the Signature. They now have the CR Artist. The Sigs to me are just way too much money. Its a Doctor Lawyer amp. JMO so dont bash me.

Aint nuttin wrong with a Fuchs either.

Either way no one has found an alternative to wires, tubes, and electrons. It aint like there is some special secret code that only one amp maker has cracked.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Fuchs or Two Rock? I've played both and owned both (though to be fair, the Fuchs I owned was a Traynor mod). It's like ribeye or NY strip: both are tasty and which one's better is really a matter of the individual piece and your taste. :)

All things considered, I (slightly) prefer my Em50 to any Fuchs I've played, mod or production.

11. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I love my TR CR - best amp I ever played (to my ear). I agree with Wichita that the Fuchs SLX sounds more like a Boogie than a Dumble (to me, IMHO and all that disclaimer stuff). However, last weekend I tried a new Fuchs ODS 30 side by side with a Boogie F-30 and I actually preferred the Boogie - both clean and dirty.

I've tried Fuchs ODS's several times now, and they just don't work for me. Not bad at all, but just not my tone.

12. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

And FWIW, I tried a Em50 just once, and didn't like it at all.

But my CR? [Homer voice on] Mmmmmmmmm.......Tone.........

13. jamminoutloud1

jamminoutloud1 Member

Has anybody here actually played a Two Rock Custom Reverb Artist? I would reeally like to here a hands on review of it and the difference between the standard, artist, and signature custom reverbs?

14. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

One of my best buddy's has a Fuchs ODS...I love his amp...he is also the conniving,sneaky little SOB who talked me into going on a 90 minute drive to 'try' the K&M Custom 50 that I ended up purchasing...I love that amp,and have been playing it for about 8 months now and have absolutely no plans on coughing it up...mmmmmm-serial #22...the second production Custom built...works for me,YMMV...Peace,OUT-
    GFM

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

You really just need to try them both, preferably side by side with a variety of guitars and settings. Unless you are fortunate enough to live near a dealer that carries both, or know people that have both, it can be a very difficult decision.

I bought both used, kept them both for a month, gigged with both, tried different speakers, cabs, guitars, and finally decided on the Fuchs. I sold the TR for what I paid and felt pretty comfortable that I made the right choice for myself. I could have been happy with either, but they are different enough that most people will have a preference.

16. Strung Up

Strung Up Member

sigh . . . THIS thread again . . . and I'm reading it . . . and wait, I'm posting some agit-prop . . . 'Your honor, it was the barista again!"

I've not tried a Fuchs yet, and I'm sure they're great amps, but I kinda don't get why a current year boutique amp needs a standard-issue modded model right off the bench.

(i tried not to hit enter, honest.)

17. Mike

Mike Member

Not too many have played both (Sig and artist). I have them both. If you'd like to know more, please email me.

Thanks,

Mike

18. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool TR guy, they work for me, so for me they're the best choice. For someone else, something else could be the best choice.

There is nothing wrong with ANY amp that inspires a player, IMHO.

19. Rick0

Rick0 Member