Fuchs owners help me!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fishin'Musician, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

I had a Fuchs mod a few years ago, and eventually got rid of it simply because I could never get the overdrive level to match the clean level. At the highest output setting on the overdrive it was always much quieter. I messed around with that thing for the longest time trying different settings because I loved the sound but it wouldn't work for me onstage for that reason.
    I just chalked it up to the fact that it was a mod and the production line amps would not have that problem. I sold the amp and went through a few other amps until finally had the cash to get a new Fuchs ODS 100.
    Again, love the sound, but the level matching problem is exactly like it was on the mod. Also I can't get a ballsy clean sound without maxing out the gain but when I do that it's driving the next gain stage too much and I don't like that much gain in the overdrive. Is that just how it is or am I doing something wrong?

2. jmadill

jmadill Gold Supporting Member

Check with Andy. There are several trimpots inside, and it might be as simple as tweaking one. Again, check with Andy first.

-jm

3. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

You can always get a TDS. I love mine. You can set the levels on each of the channels for perfect parity if you like.

4. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Drop me an e-mail or PM me. The earlier ODS's did have some level matching clean/dirty issues (long since resolved). Could be a trimmer or user error:).
    We'll figure it out.

5. devbro

devbro Member

I had an ODS50-SLX and recently picked up a TDS-100. The TDS cleans are heavenly and totally separate from the drive channels so you can make it as loud as you want without driving the gain.

6. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

eMailed Andy, waiting to hear back. Anyone else?

7. jspax7

jspax7 Member

I think the problem is that the clean channel is not intended to be pushed into overdrive. I never run mine higher than 2:00, and at that setting, balancing the channels is not a problem. If you want to fatten up the clean channel, try the mid boost or gain boost. This is more effective if you can footswitch that function. A boost pedal may help you with the "ballsy" tone you seek.

You might also try a lower gain OD setting and use your guitar volume to clean it up, and a boost pedal to push it into overdrive. Lots of choices.

What Overdrive tones are you going for? Knowing that will help others to advise you on what settings might work for you.

On my stock amp, I ran my clean channel gain between 11:00 and 2:00, and used a pedal for medium gain Rhythm/Lead tones, and the OD in gain between 10:00 and 2:00.

My recently hand tuned ODS30, has OD, Mid, and Gain boost on the artist footswitch. Each button is a usable increase in gain. I can add anything to any channel. Tones of versatility.

8. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Guys, there is a mod we're offering, which separates the master volume from the overdrive. You get (essentially) a clean and an overdrive master that work separate from one another. Drop me a note, and I can run down the cost, lead times etc. Quite a few ODS owners have had this done, and like the way the amp operates afterwards.

9. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Highly recommended! :D

10. Fishin'Musician

Fishin'Musician Member

This one is #1367. The guy I bought it from said it was brand new; is mine an "earlier" one?

11. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Fishin' Musician.

I'm sending you a PM.

12. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

The earlier amps had the od/clean level issue, which was addressed in later units post s/n 0300.

Your amp was indeed made within the last year or so, but it does seem your particular playing requirements may benefit from the master and OD out being separate. That would allow a higher gain clean sound, and an independently adjustable OD level, without sharing the master volume.

This doesn't happen with all players, but crops up from time to time.