Fuchs ponderings and more

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Brownface, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Brownface

Brownface Member

Lately I have noticed myself shifting toward a tighter tone all together. Being a brownface nut, one would think I'd keep leaning that way, but I'm not. I checked out some Fuchs online, and am not sure if I would like the ODS all the time. It's kinda like butterscotch to me, too much, too long, and you'll never want it again. I'm not sure about the Train 45, no clips. The BlackJack 21 may be closer to what I have already. The all sound sooooo good. I think the ODS is one of the most unique sounding amps I've ever heard. I wonder if it can get a little more raunchy though.

I'm not really looking for an answer to a question, but just want to hear your thoughts on this amp family. thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I had an ODS-30 for a while. No doubt it was a nice sounding amp, and had a reasonable amount of gain available, but raunchy is the last thing it was. I sold it because I found it just too polite for the kind of rock I wanted to play.

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

The thing about D-flavored amps is that they are a LOT more versatile than the obligatory "Politician" clips would tell you.

I've played through a couple of Andy's amps, as well as a couple different Two Rocks, and even some Dumbles, as well as my current Glaswerks.

Now, granted, they're all a bit different from each other, but they all share some basic qualities. The "clean" channel typically has a tight bottom end, and a top end that can be tight, or crunchy, depending on how you have it set. The "Lead" channel builds on your basic EQ settings from the Clean channel, and adds another gain stage that you can also regulate, adding a little or a lot more distortion.

I find this style of amp to be VERY versatile, and in addition, very sensitive to how you handle your guitar, in terms of pick attack, etc.

My playing style is not at all like that of Robben Ford -- at ANY period of his career -- and I find that I get along extremely well with this type of amp, playing up-tempo West Coast style blues and R&B.

My Glaswerks is set so that the clean channel is similar to a Super Reverb just at the point of breakup, while the Lead channel adds a bit more whiskers and compression, for a more Tweed-y sound. And, with a great master volume, you can dial in these sounds for pretty much any venue, large or small...It works VERY well for me. But in the hands of someone like, say, Scott Lerner, it would sound like a COMPLETELY different amp.

Andy's ODS amps have the same characteristics, and are very versatile, with a lot of different tones to be found inside. For better or for worse, a lot of the guys who use these types of amps and/or post clips of them seem to concentrate on obtaining a very specific kind of sound which, while good, represents only a small portion of what's to be found inside.

Hope this helps... ;)

4. klaetos

klaetos Member

I would agree with this. Lot's of tones and options available. With my ODS30 it can do a lot of different sounds really well and the option to switch from 6V6 to 6L6 give it even more options. If you have the opportunity to play one it will give you a better idea. Had it for about 6 months and play with a band 1-3 times a week and practice on top of that, not at all bored with the sound nor do I think I have even began to understand all the tones or possibilities available.

Not sure what you mean by raunchy, but when I put in the 6v6's hit the mid boost and turn up the mids a bit it can get raunchy IMO, you have to turn it up a bit though. Not EL34 raunchy but it does sound good.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2008
  5. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Great write-up Dave -- could not agree with you more.

I am a huge fan of Andy's amps -- and even though I own other amps -- Fuchs is always my amp of choice for gigs.

why

1. Reliable
    2. Easy to use
    3. sounds scary good (no matter what style of music you play or guitar you plug into it)

I set my EQ on the clean channel to be very fendery -- for OD channel if I want a thicker tone -- I engage the Mid-Boost and roll back the tone control on my guitar. Again I really focus on the cleans -- so if I want a raunchy rock tone and I do not want to mess with the EQ -- I just stack a pedal (like a Blues Driver) with the OD and you are there.

You can pretty much dial any tone you want with that amp -- but the clean channel EQ (like with any D-Style amps) has a tremendous influence over the OD channel. Took me a while to connect the dots. :p

6. Brownface

Brownface Member

When I said raunchy, I was actually talking about the Train 45, Lucky 7, and the 21. The ODS is very smooth and tight from what I've heard. I know you guys are right about the ODS. I just wondered if it did, what you ended up clarifying, other things well. I'm excited to try an ODS. I know the price range of the lower wattage are more my speed, but I'd be willing to save up for the ODS. The clips on the site are a lot more geared to a Scott Lerner type attack I think. That could be just a matter of opinion. I love his playing and touch, but it's not at all like me. I do lean a little jazzy, but for the most part I shoot for more of a Warren Haynes type thing. Seems the ODS might do that well. Thanks for your reply.

7. Shiny McShine

Shiny McShine Member

We had a nice BJ 21 come through my local GC. I played a low output strat through it and it had the most pristine clean tones. It gave this feeling of accuracy like a good audiophile amp too. I immediately bonded with it. I should have bought it but I would have had to go into CC debt and didn't have a job. There was something in the tone that just sounded so musical.

I've heard that people say they buy them for the Dumble overdrive sound but I wasn't getting that impression from this one unless they meant the SSS.

8. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I was on a business trip in Toronto and went into this great music store and played the Fuchs ODS-50. I really put that amp through the paces making sure it was as versatile as advertised. It was...I went from bright cleans, to gritty Rolling Stones, to Kiss/Deep Purple, to Metal/shred/Yngwie. Yes, this amp is versatile. It's on the top of my must-have-list right now (along another Reinhardt amp).

The ODS-50 is brilliant, to put it in a single word. I loved everything this amp produced and it worked exceedingly well with both humbuckers or single coils. That's my $0.02, YMMV.

I'd love it if someone would explain the advantage of the "Hand Tuned" option and if there is a noticiable & appreciable difference to justify the up charge. The non-hand tuned version I played was incredible.

9. Deaj

Deaj Member

I agree - there's much more to the Fuchs ODS than the smooth fusion tones commonly associated with this style amp. I primarily use my ODS for blues and rock (occasionally other styles) and it easily the best amp I've ever used/owned!

My ODS-50 SLX chassis is at Fuchs for hand tuning as I type this. Watch the Amps and Cabs forum next week for a full and detailed review sometime next week. I corresponded with several Fuchs ODS owners who had the hand tuning option performed and all were exceedingly pleased with the results. Can't wait to check mine out!

10. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Agreed it works with all styles of music---

Paul Jackson Jr -American Idol
    Dwezel Zappa
    Al di Meola
    Jeff Golub

Just the small sampling of Fuchs users above represent a pretty diverse group of musicians covering an extraordinarily large pallet of musical styles.

11. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

12. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Sounds really really good and is a testament to what folks on this thread have been saying about the fuchs being a versatile tool machine.

If you played that clip to 100 people on this forum I would venture to guess not one would think that was a Fuchs.

Great tone --

13. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I had a 2006 TDS which was upgraded with the new 2008 boards earlier this year
    and, IMO, it was a bit too raunchy for what I was after. GP loved it though and
    gave it an EP Award, so I think the less polite voicing has turned out to be a
    big selling point. Now, you've got big name pros who've traditionally been more
    in the Marshall camp, like Herring, DiMeola and Zappa, embracing the ODS and
    TDS!

14. JeffD

JeffD Very slow but persistent Supporting Member

California Central Coast between LA and the Bay
    I didn't realize that Andy could/would do this on an amp that's already been completed. Can you say what the ballpark cost would be?
    Thanks

15. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I tweaked the internal trimpots on my ODS30 and it made it much more in the vein of what I like. I've got the clean channel set up nice and Fender'y, and now the OD channel is more of a break-up sound than the more "typical" midrange OD thing it's probably more known for. I hit a COT50 on the clean channel to get me to Marshall territory and stack it with my Eternity for a killer lead tone. The COT50 really kicks the OD channel into high gear as well and gets it nice and crunchy. The ODS30 can definitely rock if you want if you want it to.

16. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

In addition to the cost of the Hand Tuned option, what is it intended to achieve? What's the advantage/tonal difference when it's Hand Tuned?

17. LVC

LVC Senior Member

One of the things that people do not understand or realize about real dumble amps -- is that no two are the same.

Besides there being a variety of circuits, each amp is "custom voiced" for the player.

Basically what Andy is offering is hand tuning or voicing the amp to you specifications/playing style etc.

18. Deaj

Deaj Member

I don't want to quote the price here (this post might outlive the current pricing). The price for Hand Tuning is listed on the left-hand border on the Fuchs ODS page though. :)

19. Deaj

Deaj Member

Yes indeed. I requested that the stock voicing be left largely intact and asked for some specific tweaks and enhancements of existing traits. I also requested a few modifications and I'm having the 4-button foot switch option added as well. I'll post specific details and a full review when it arrives (which should be next Thursday).

20. LVC

LVC Senior Member

Sounds like you are going to be having some serious fun this holiday weekend.