Fuchs question: Do I need a reverse polarity speaker cable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Maven, Sep 5, 2008.

1. Maven

Maven Supporting Member

I'm using an ODS 30 with a Port City cab. Do I need a reverse polarity speaker cable?

2. scottl

scottl Member

You don't "need" it but I sure think it sounds better and feels better.

3. NicDo

NicDo Member

I got one for my ods30 SLX a few months back. I didn't know they were part of the Fuchs design when getting the amp. The change was pretty drastic. Didn't sound like a different amp, but the sound was noticeably fuller, or richer to my ears.

This is with my JDesign 1x12 EV-12L closed/ported cab.

4. sixtonoize

sixtonoize Member

What effect would reversing the polarity of the signal going into the cab have? Wouldn't it be just the same as swapping the + and - leads inside the cab?

5. scottl

scottl Member

yes... but I like to keep the cabs stock so they are set to a standard.

6. sixtonoize

sixtonoize Member

There's been PLENTY of discussion of the polarity issue on this site, but has anyone made sound clips?

I'd really like to hear the difference for myself.

7. scottl

scottl Member

It is not so much the tone. It is a definate feel difference as well as much more sustain. The attack is softer when the speaker pushes first.

8. hottub

hottub Member

boy what a difference when I was first turned on to the reverse polarity thing with my Fuchs.....great bloom and sustaining, controlled, musical feedback. Notes would literally fall flat when it was 'out of phase'. But 'in-phase' they just hang on and in some cases produce amazing harmonics. And basically I just plain thought my rig sounded fuller.

In fact, I even went as far as purchasing this product to test my whole rig, pedals and all. A Galaxy Audio Cricket. I was able to test my entire signal path and found out that I had pedals that were changing the signal back to being 'out of phase'. Something I never knew could happen. Which may explain why I thought some pedals sounded better than others. Of course, I'm not recommending anyone needs to go that far. It was more of a personal tone experiment. Plus I used it to check my bands PA system to ensure everything was hooked up 'in-phase'.