Fuchs question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by homerayvaughan, Feb 21, 2006.

1. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

I have been debating getting a Fuchs ODS50SLX. What could you compare the cleans to? Are they anywhere as good as a BF Fender - would it be brighter? Smoother? My point of reference is my '66 super reverb. I bought a zendrive, and I do like the tone of it into the super, but I feel that the Fuchs would sound even better. What would you use, the super + pedals or a 2 channel amp like the Fuchs? How's the reverb on the Fuchs? I have heard mixed opinions. What would a good price on a used one be?
    Thanks

2. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

I have a pre-SLX 30. All I can say is it does everything really well. I haven't heard a Super directly, but the Fuchs has a very warm and rich clean sound, certainly among the best I've ever heard. The reverb does its job. I've never turned it up to try for the surf sound, so I can't tell you if it's in there or not, but at light to moderate levels, it sounds like a reverb should. I would definitely go for the Fuchs over any single channel amp and pedals. It does spanky clean, Plexi crunch, and screaming OD extremely well. I've yet to plug my pedalboard into the Fuchs because it sounds so damn good on its own.

I paid $1500 used for a pre-SLX 30. I imagine you'd be at least several hundred more for an SLX-50. You can always get the SLX mod done by Fuchs for $200. I've heard it improves the tone, but don't really see how it could.

3. tedjac

tedjac Guest

There is an ODS50SLX for sale on eBay right now. The posting lists $2100. This looks like a mint amp. If you're seriously in the market, take a look.

As far as the clean sound of a Fuchs goes... I've listened to dozens... maybe hundreds of clips of different Fuchs amps, and with the right speaker, they do very warm, full toned cleans. I honestly don't know how close to a '66 Super it will get, but the tone versatility of these amps is truly impressive.

My ODS30SLX should be arriving early next week... and I can't wait!

Ted

4. Rob Livesey

Rob Livesey Member

Hi,

I own two Fuchs amps, a 100w mod amp and a 100w SLX, and until very recently, a '65 BF Super Reverb. In my opinion, the Super Reverb was THE classic Fender amp for spanky clean tones, the 4x10's deliver a huge bottom end which other amps would find hard to match. I'm not sure an ODS50 would match the sheer girth of the clean tone in a Super Reverb and for that reason I would consider a 100w SLX. The 100's just have that extra depth to me. My Fuchs 100's easily satisfy my desire for that BF clean tone at volume, they aren't the same as a Super, but easily as nice. The reverb is great too.

Rob.

5. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

That's the one I have been lookng at. Why has nobody touched it? They say it's new and can't move it??? WTF?

6. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Offer them a coiuple bills less and see if they go for it. Does anyone know if Andy allows transfer of the warranty? That might be one reason it hasn't sold. A new one sells for $2995 list price. If you talk to the seller and you're convinced they are above board... and you really want one... and the waranty situation suits you (I don't know what that is, call Fuchs and inquire)...I'd think about going for it. Could save yourself almost $1000!

7. homerayvaughan

homerayvaughan Member

It ends in 10 minutes...UGH...They are a Fuchs dealer, and they say it's new store stock. It just has not moved as well as other pieces.

8. aeolian

aeolian Member

The Super sounds different. While Fuchs does do a 4x10, most folks are plugging them into 12's. The Super sounds much more scooped, which can also equate to sparkly. The Fuchs sound more like a Twin than a Super. And still more like a Tweed than a blackface. You can dial in a bit of scoop but it's always going to sound thicker. That's why Andy came up with the TDS, to add in that BF sound. Now if you can forgo the scooped sound, the ODS will deliver really rich and warm clean tones, and with a clarity and responsiveness that I've never found out of any vintage Super I've played. Most of the really sparkly and "clean" sounding Supers I've played were also kind of sterile and stiff. The rich and less stiff ones didn't have that super clear sparkle.

9. devbro

devbro Member

I've been looking at it for several days and could no longer resist......I bit. The wife's gonna kill me.
    :horse

10. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Its not just the Fuchs, no Dumble/Dumble style is going to touch those big Fender clean tones. To much midrange, and not enough bottom end. The Fuchs and Dumble styles have a SS rectifier, and that stiffens them up as well. Also, they do not have the detail or richness that the Fenders have. I had a 66 Super R for years, and still have my 66 Pro reverb, and SF Vibroulx reverb for comparison with my Fuchs and Two Rock. Andy made the TSL just for clean freaks like you and I. :D The overdrive on the Fuchs ODS is a thing of complete beauty though, and the cleans are decent.

11. willhutch

willhutch Member

I owned a Fuchs ODS50 for about a year. It served me well until one day I I "discovered" a silverface vibrolux. I sold my Fuchs shortly thereafter.

12. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

You need a Fuchs TDS. It's THEE dream amp IMHO. All those amazing Dumble and beyond OD's AND the best BF cleans you will ever hear. Something tells me if you try one you'll be sending the V-lux packing.;)

13. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I'm now "in the queue", and am very eager to put this thang through it's paces in the next couple of weeks...I'll report in.

14. dczay

dczay Gold Supporting Member

Fretmaster, how would you compare the overdrive tones of TDS100 & ODS30SLX? Are the cleans adequete in the ODS30?

15. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

My full intention when I ordered my TDS100 was to sell my ODS30SLX if it was all I'd hoped for. But I am happy to say I love them both. The TDS has a more traditional Dumble OD do to the fixed bias and running 4-6L6's BUT is certainly not limited to that tone. One of the beautiful things with the TDS 100 is it's gargantuan girth. The rhythms with this monster are incredible. The tone is simply massive. And the solo notes are so full and musical that it begs you to slow down and hang on to every note until it decays into those gorgeous harmonics the Fuchs is so amazing at. The ODS30SLX, while maybe not having the overall girth or massiveness the TDS100 has, has this "hairiness", for lack of a better term, or something about it's OD tones that is unique and just KILLER! The tone of the ODS30 is somewhat unique from the other ODS's, I sure, from being cathode biased and running 6V6's. The cleans are really good with the ODS30 as well. Better, more natural sounding and feeling than the ODS50 (fixed bias, 6L6) IMO. But the TDS hands down has the most amazing cleans of any amp I've ever heard. The TDS has a "sag" switch on the back that I REALLY like. It gives the amp a more vintage feel. I play it in the "sag" position 90% of the time. Andy really hit the nail on the head with the TDS. It's got everything and lacks nothing IMHO. Killer, EXTREMELY versatile OD's and fantastic cleans at the touch of a button. The plethora of tone shaping capabilities the ODS and especially the TDS offer are nothing short of genius. I can't imagine anyone from any musical taste or style not loving these amp.

16. dczay

Fretmaster, that is saying a lot as I know you have pretty much owned every amp worth owning. I like the 30 watt best from a distance due to volume considerations. Not that I would use an ultra clean setting that often, but if I chose to, it wouldn't be only passable. and that is a good thing. I will locate a dealer and check these amps out. Thanks for the input.

17. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Can I be presumptuous and recommend a dealer...

Michael Lewis Music...he's in Nashville and worked with me on my Fuchs purchase. He's a great guy and great guitarist and knows Fuchs amps inside and out. I highly recommend him.

http://michaellewismusic.com/fuchs/

Ted

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Dave Schaefer at Overland Express Guitars ( http://www.overlandexpress.com/ ) in Overland Park, Kansas was incredibly cool to deal with and packed my TDS like I've never seen an amp packed before. He also has a huge inventory of incredible gear. Definitely worth at least going to his site just to check out his selection. Great prices and customer service too.

19. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Owning both a '65 BFSR, ODS30, and also a Zendrive I guess I'll throw in my two cents.

I find that I can get a very nice clean out of the ODS, pretty close to BF tone but in order to get the best clean, I have to readjust my settings that I use for the OD channel. If I want to switch between the two channels on the fly, I need to compromise the clean channel slightly to get the best OD tone. This is the only issue with the ODS. The TDS solves that issue and is really it's raison d'etre I suspect.

All that said, the BFSR and Zendrive combination is not too shabby either......I'm sure you know Robben Ford has used that in lieu of his Dumble periodically.

20. dczay