Fuchs TDS / ODS 100 too loud!?!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I have an ODS30SLX that is one of favorite amps of all time. I love everything about this amps tone and feel. Now I see the TDS and I'm thinking the only thing that could possibly replace the ODS30 for me would be a TDS30. Problem is they don't make one. So my question is this, if I go with a TDS100 can I still get killer tones at similar volumes to what I am using my ODS30SLX at? I never run the ODS30 past 12:00 on the master. Can the TDS (or ODS100 since the volume is the same) be played and still sound killer at low volumes? Or is this amp TOO LOUD? Or how does it compare to some other master volume 100 watters "useable volume" wise.

Thanks any who respond!:(

2. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

BTW... the reason I'm thinking TDS100 and not 50 is I want 4 - output tubes as apposed to two.;)

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

I don't think it would be too loud AT ALL.

At NAMM, the TDS 100w was totally stellar sounding, and the master volume worked GREAT.

I sincerely don't think you'd have any excessive volume problem at all, ever. The bass notes feel more firm in the 100W version, but really, it's not that much louder at "5" on the master vol than it's little bros - maybe you'd have to turn the MV to "3.5".

The TDS 100W sounds GREAT. You'll love it.

Playing Ron Thorn's personal axe at the Fuchs booth at NAMM was one of the best sounds I've had in some time.

Dana

4. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks Dana! I just finished a jam session with the ODS30SLX and it is flat out smokin. If I can get anywhere near that depth of tone with that thick barking midrange I would be ecstatic.

5. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I've not played the TDS, but I feel reasonably safe in saying that you won't be able to work the power tubes much at all at lower volumes. The ODS or TDS will still get the same preamp stage OD tone, but the output stage will barely be more than idling.

While it will very likely still sound very good, if your normal setting for the MV is going to be at 3, my personal feeling is that you are probably better off with a lower power amp. I've yet to hear a high power amp that sounds as good as it can when it is run at very low levels with a MV or attenuator. Even with the ODS30, I think it sounds much better with the MV at 50% or more than it does at 25-30%.

6. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I know you're 100% correct. It's just I heard a clip of an ODS50 that was done literally at bedroom levels and still sounded damned amazing as does my ODS30SLX. So was thinking if the 100 sounded that good at very reasonable practice levels and would only get better when I have occasion to open her up a little that would be great! I am just really set on having a four output tube TDS (cathoade biased would be really nice too). :NUTS

7. Dana Olsen

In the Fuchs (*umble) design, the pre-amp plays a larger role in the tone of the beast than the output section does.

With that 100 watter, it's pretty loud long before it really gets up on the pipe with respect to the power amp. Plus, the gain part comes from the pre-amp in the gain channel(s) (cool - 3 Channels, with a 'dedicated' clean channel)

I think the bigger difference will be the tone of 6V6's compared to 6L6's or EL-34's of the big boy.

And I don't think you'll ever have a volume problem.

I myself own a Tone King or two. No master volume there, and you definitely can hear the amp if you push it to break up. It's loud, a lot louder that a Fuchs amp when getting the same perceived level of gain.

The Fuchs design lets you, within reason, dial in the gain and volume seperately. In my Tone King, you want more gain, you're gonna get more volume - at least until it's about halfway up, then you just get more gain from then on.

Andy's amp will gain up at a much lower volume than my 40w Tone King will. Not that I'm knocking the Tone King - not at all, it sounds GREAT, but it won't do gain sounds at as low a level as the Fuchs does.

Dana

8. Dana Olsen

" While it will very likely still sound very good, if your normal setting for the MV is going to be at 3, my personal feeling is that you are probably better off with a lower power amp. I've yet to hear a high power amp that sounds as good as it can when it is run at very low levels with a MV or attenuator. Even with the ODS30, I think it sounds much better with the MV at 50% or more than it does at 25-30%."

Hey Fuller -

I should have read your post more slowly. I agree, the Fuchs does sound better turned up a bit - 50% sounds real good, and that's not that loud, it's not that quiet either.

Still, for me, I really like what 100 watts does to the low end. I don't think going from 50% to 40% loses too much tone on the Fuchs, and I liked the Triple 100W way more than I liked my 50w ODS at the same volume.

Thanks, Dana

9. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Isn't it generally, true, though, that the advantages of a 100 watter over a similarly designed 50 or 30 watt, don't become realized until pretty significant volume is achieved?

I can't fathom turning up a Dumble style amp loud enough to get the power tubes cooking, AT ALL. They are seriously freakin loud amps. The Two Rocks I've owned, all 50 watters, are among the loudest amps I've owned, by a long shot. I imagine the Fuchs are the same ....

10. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Fret,

I just responded to a post about the TDS. I have a 50w TDS 4x10 combo and just used it at a jam tonight. The 50 is plenty loud, unless you have a really loud Harp player in your ear. But I used the mid boost to add a little volume during solos. Works great.

This amp set up is it for me.

Ben

11. Dana Olsen

Yeah Mikey -

If you were able to turn a Fuchs amp up so high that you could actually engage and push the output section, the volume level would be AMAZING.

I don't really think there is deep disagreement here on the question:

"Is a 100 watt TODS Fuchs gonna be too loud?"

Maybe you'll have quite a bit of extra headroom in terms of your overall highest volume, but for my tastes, that's a good thing. You might find that you have all the headroom you need with a 50 watt model; I prefer 100 W - there's just something about 4 tubes v 2 tubes.

Also, for my ears, 100 watts just controls the speaker(s) better. It comes off sounding clearer to me, a more solid sonic footprint, even at lower volume levels. It's a subtle difference ( 50w v 100w) but with the guitar in your hands and the drummer pushing you up for 'another chorus' during a solo, I like having the big amp rise to the ocassion of that one big bend or vibrato that really makes the solo memorable to you. Not because it's louder, but because it gets up and pushes a little more eagerly if it's 100 watts.

Your mileage, of course, may vary. (GRIN)

Dana

12. jspax7

jspax7 Member

Doesn't Fuchs offer a TDS in a "custom 50 watt" 6V6? I thought I saw that on their website. (I almost went for one of those.) Also, check if the custom 50 will run 2 6L6's like the ODS 30. Best of all, it has a sag switch.

13. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

I believe I read that they do 50, 100, and 150 watt versions of the TDS.