FUCHS TRIPLEDRIVE SUPREME 100 is in da house!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Fretmaster, Feb 8, 2006.

1. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Fuchs TDS100!!!

All I can say at this point is I am DAMNED IMPRESSED!!! This beast is incredible and I am extremely happy to report it performs like a dream at ALL volumes, even practice room / home volumes!! The harmonics and incredibly sweet controlled feedback on demand are awe inspiring and at all volumes. Even the clean channel can is harmonic!! :eek: The depth, punch and dynamics are fabulous. The bass response on this amp is gargantuan! And she is so articulate it beg for complex chord voicing and string blending. And OH MY GOD the clean channel!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don’t think I’ve ever nailed the SRV “Texas Flood” tone this dead to right. Right down to how huge every note flying off the strings plumes. Thick as molasses and dripping with glistening, bell like, harmonically complex tone.

The overdrives can be searing hot or vintage chunky. Again, all dialed in very easily. Another thing that really shocked me with the TDS100 is how monstrous the rhythms are. This amp, unlike most Dumblesque amps I’ve experiences is as formidable a rhythm amp as it is a stunning solo masterpiece. Holy Moses this thing sounds amazing! I have a lot of fiddling to do. It will take me at least a day just to figure out how all the buttons on the 6 (that’s right) SIX button footswitch interact. I can see already it’s more like having at least 4 or 5 channels rather than three. And unlike a lot of channel switchers that you can only dial in one maybe two good tones at any given time. The TDS100 has at least 3 monster tones with at least two variations of each all at the touch of the foot switch at any given time. There’s a sag switch on the back that I haven’t even had time to flip yet to see how the other position behaves.

The TDS100 is going to take me the weekend to really put through its paces and figure out all the different tweaking. I can see already that there is an incredible range of tonal variations and colors that can be easily dialed in with this amp. One thing I would like to say to anyone who would take issue with the price of this monster is this is all the amp anyone really needs and then some. This would be the ultimate working man’s amp. I say this because I feel like I could cover just about anything I could possibly want on a gig from rock to jazz to blues to country to fusion and all points in between and never feel like I’m compromising on any given tone. Another reason is; I have no doubt I could play ANY size club or hall with this amp and be able to dial in the perfect tone at the perfect volume for the venue.

As most of you know I’ve owned a lot of amps. So many I’ve forgotten most of them. This is one amp I don’t think I will ever forget. Hopefully because this is one amp I hope, at this point, never leaves my arsenal. Sorry if I got a little carried away with the rant. But this is truly a joyous day for me and my ultimate tonal pursuits. Hats off to Andy Fuchs for building what just may be the single most impressive, all around, amp I’ve ever owned. I hope to post a more detailed and sane review of this amp after I’ve had some time. Thanks for reading my babbling insanity. :NUTS :D

:dude:dude :dude

Steve

2. scottl

scottl Member

Told you so?? LOL

Glad you dig!!

3. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks Scott. Brother....diggin' is an understatement. This baby makes my hair stand on end! Seriously! I can't believe you haven't snagged one for yourself yet!

4. Galo

Galo Supporting Member

So is not just me!!!

5. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

No it's not just you. I guess we're family now huh?:D

6. guitarlix

guitarlix Member

Fuchs makes the most toneful, best feeling amps in the world! Period.

7. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Ok... this isn't fair. I haven't even got my ODS30 yet (two more weeks) and already you're making me wish I had something else.

But seriously, Congrats on the new amp.

Ted

8. Deaj

Deaj Silver Supporting Member

Congrats Fretmaster! The TDS sure sounds like a great amp. I've had my ODS-50 for about 6 months now and I'm still as excited about it as I was the day I brought it home. Enjoy!

9. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Ted, Don't dispair. The ODS30SLX is a incredibly toneful amp. I love the TDS as anyone can see but the ODS30SLX is so good I may have to sell something else and hold on to both of them! You are going to LOVE your new ODS30!! So be excited.....no....be VERY excited!!;) :dude

10. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Thanks Deaj! Your's and ScottL's blues clips were among the two top factors in pushing me over the edge and pulling the trigger on my ODS30SLX. And man am I ever glad I did! And for anyone reading this....these amps AREN'T just for Dumble or Jazz tones. These babies can RAWK with the best of them easily!!:dude

11. tedjac

tedjac Guest

Thanks for the console... but you know that your TDS100 rocks!

What speakers are you using with your Fuchs amps? Andy is putting two Patriot Red, White and Blues in my 212 Combo. Both he and Scott L seem to think they may be best for my use... and taste... wwe'll see. I think I'm gonna have fun experimenting with different speakers over the next few months...

Can't wait to get my amp...!

12. Dave LaP

Dave LaP Member

So Fretmaster-how do ya like it? :)

Question: on the clean Texas Flood style tones-how loud did you need to have it to get the tone you described? Small band volume, medium band volume or loud band volume?

Thanks and congrats!

13. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

With the ODS30SLX I use two cabs. A Bruno 4x12 loaded with Celestion Blue Alnico's (talk about fabulous tone!!:eek:) and for the rockin' tones I use a Mojave 4x12 loaded with G12H30's. Major rockin tones with that cab. With the TDS100 I've only used teh G12H30 cab so far simply due to wattage restrictions with some of my other cabs. But dear GOD does this thing sound amazing!!!:dude

You are going to have one hell of a good time ringing that ODS30 out. What a killer tone machine.:AOK

14. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Do I like it?! :dude :dude :dude :dude :dude

Volume on the "Texas Flood" tone... abviously sounds better and better as I open her up but would sound fabulous even in a relatively small club and only one guitarist, which is how I usually play. I truly believe anyone who can afford this beast should give one a try. Reason being is it covers a HUGE array of tonal variations and will do it at any size gig setting. And I'm not talking several good tones, I'm talking several STELLAR tones. This is a "no compromise" amplifier. This is not the amp for dinner theater where people want to be able to talk at a normal level over your band. But any realistic club gig will be no problem what's so ever. I honestly believe that.

15. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

Congrats on your new amp!! Andy really seems like he is listening for people's needs and coming through with the product. I would love to try one.

16. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

Well, I've had the end of the week and the entire weekend to really put this thing through it's paces now and do a lot of A/Bing with the ODS30SLX as well as several other of my prized amplifiers, and my conclusion is 100% certain that both these Fuchs amplifiers are big time keepers!! I have convinced myself beyond a shadow a doubt that either one would be easily useable in any gig situation. I am thoroughly convinced that I can dial in these incredible tones at volumes I can use every day and HOLY SMOKES what tones these two deliver. I absolutely love both amps. If I had to give up one of them I would have to keep the TDS simply because the clean channel is this incredible 4D. No I didn't mean to say 3D!! The ODS30SLX is 3D as hell; spacious, full, glistening, spanky, dynamic and swirling and virtually unrivaled. The TDS just seems to take it another step deeper which is why I call it 4D. The clean tones of the TDS are the best I've ever heard from any amplifiers I've ever owned period. And that includes my various old BF Fender and Kendrick amplifiers. The two of these amplifiers are just different enough sounding to justify keeping both. And for you guys afraid of the volume issues..... if you can deal with the ODS30's volume, you could use the TDS100 and not be afraid of it being too much. And the coolest thing is it's perfectly capable of causing foundation damage to any structure within a square mile if you get the urge.:dude :dude :dude :D

17. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Hey Fret,

sounds like a great amp. I love my ODS30. I have the OD100, and the clean ch is my favourite of just about any clean I have played or heard - esp with single coils. I like it better than the Fuchs.

The gain channels are very different in character and I like both for different reasons. How do you see the differences between the Fuchs (esp the TDS) and the OD100 on the clean side? Thanks

18. Fretmaster

Fretmaster Member

I REALLY liked the clean channel on my CAA OD100. It's a killer clean for sure, but in all honesty once I heard the Two Rock Emerald Pro reverb's clean the OD100 paled in comparison. And now with the TDS even the Em Pro can't compete with these cleans. The clean channel on the TDS is without a doubt the deepest most dimensional, lush, glistening cleans I've ever heard or felt under my fingers as I'm playing. It has the kind of depth that brings to mind a full pipe organ playing inside a HUGE cathedral. It's like the sound just swirls around and engulfs you. OK...I'll stop now. But I don't know how else to put it into words.

As for the overdrive / gain tones compared to the OD100. As a "very" broad generalization it's clear the Fuchs is on the Dumble side of the fence and the CAA OD100 is on the hot rod Marshall side. The OD100 is more of a modern hot rod high gainer's amp. The ultimate 80's rock amp. The tones are rich and surprisingly dynamic for as high gain as that amp is and the rhythms are just monsterous! The Fuchs has a much more midrange focus to it's tone. This gives it a much more "woody" tone and feel. The Fuchs is also far more touch sensitive and dynamic than the CAA. In the mix the CAA comes through much brighter and more treble focused where the Fuchs comes through much fuller and warmer. For what ever reason the frequency range of the Fuchs amp seems to suffer much less from frequency cancelling when in the midst of a full back line. The Fuchs is also much more articulate and has far more clarity. You can really here every nuance of your playing with the Fuchs. Also, what has really turned me on about my ODS and TDS is they both can sound almost clean and searing hot all at the same time. And no amp I've ever played can acheive such sweet, musical, harmonics and feedback on demand.

The Fuchs ODS / TDS and the CAA OD100 are really two completely different animals to say the least. It will really come down to personal preference of course but even more so depending on the style music you tend to play. If you're a metal head (into Lynch, Vinnie Moore, McAlpine or just about any 80's rock band) then the CAA OD100 is one hell of a killer amp and has amazing cleans to boot. But if you're a blues, classic rock, jazz or fusion player, particularly one who really like to "play" the amp (very dynamic, touchy, feely player) then the Fuchs is an absolute dream. For my taste, feel, playing style and love of rich, thick midrange the Fuchs was the easy choice. It was after getting my first Fuchs (the ODS30SLX) that I sold my CAA OD100 and now that I have my TDS there's a couple more pieces getting ready to go up on the block. Not necessarly because the Fuchs is better than any of my others, it's quite simply because the Fuchs feels better in my hands and sounds better to my ears when I'm playing them than just about anything else out there.

It's all about what works for "you" my friend.;)

19. bluesmostly

bluesmostly Member

Thanks Fretmaster for the generous and thoughtful review. I guess the TDS is the latest piece of gear on my hitlist... just when I thought I had everything I needed... :jo well, I do have that... well you know...

20. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Sounds awesome. I wonder what the major differences are between the TDS 100 and TDS 50 besides wattage (and price!)