Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme....HELP me through the wait!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by StompBoxBlues, Feb 16, 2008.

1. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Hey guys, not having a smidgen of doubt about ordering the Fuchs Tripledrive Supreme 100 head ( TDS 100, so search engines hit in case others are interested)...so now the wait.

Would love to hear more glowing reports, how you use it, what you discovered in it, how you use the footpedal, how high you play it, what it sounds like, anything (jonesing here!!).

Also, while I wait I am going to inventory what speaker cabs I have, ohmage, and especially which speakers. I have a great memory for amps, features, and okay on tubes used in the amps, and fantastic memory on pedals, but speakers...it's like I can' get into it, and I need to now.

I have a Marshall 4 x 12" bottom I need to open up and check what kind of speakers, and a 2 x 12" Marshall 1922 also I need to do the same with. Also I converted a 2 x 12" open back to be 2 x 10" (made it so it is switchable 4 ohm - parallel/ 16 ohm series, and two huge 2 x 12"s I converted to 1 x 12"'s detuned (no tuning, just took out the second speaker in each) and wired so I could use one alone, or both in either serie or parallel, but they are cool in that they can be far apart and give good ambience.

So I need to start thinking about speaker cabinets. I plan on buying a Soldano SLO-100 also, and want to find a cab that would complement both the TDS100 and the SLO100...

So...have a heart, you Fuchs TDS100 owners, and speaker cab experts and help me through the troubling wait :BEER?

2. lgehrig4

lgehrig4 Silver Supporting Member

You should have grabbed the one in the emporium with the 2x12 cab to avoid the wait. The Fuchs sounds great with G12-65 and EVM12Ls. I just got that combo for a Port City 2x12 to use with my Emerald Pro, but it also sounds great with my SLO and Modena 90. They seem to go well with every amp I've tried so far.

I'm sure your TDS will sound amazing. I used to have an ODS50 SLX that I miss.

3. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

I'm presently running mine through an Avatar 2x12 with Gold Celestions . Which I like a lot. I also have a 4x12 Marshall cab that I haven't tried yet. How long do you have to wait for your TDS? I bought mine used off ebay so my wait was only 3 days.

You may want to wire up a reversed polarity speaker cable while you're waiting. I haven't done it yet but I'm planning on doing it over this weekend end . Fuchs actually recommends doing it to get more sustain and bottom end. Many people claim they can hear a tremendous diffrence with the cable wired that way.

Regards,

Tom

4. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I originally heard three weeks, but wanted the fender (tweed color) and the half-watt switch, so I am waiting to here on time.

The reverse polarity cable...any idea Why that would make a difference?
    I can't think of any...with the frequencies a guitar sounds at anyway.
    Not doubting, just wondering...

5. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

There is another thread on the Gear Page that discusses this issue and where some one from Fuchs Audio actually chimes in and validates it. Apparently there is some natural "phase shifting"(my words) that goes on inside the amp that makes the reverse wired speaker cable make the amp sound better and have better sustain.I'll see if i can find it for us. Or you could try a search yourself while you are waiting !!

Regards,

Tom

6. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

7. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

Andy Fuchs jumps in on page 8 of the thread to validate the practice.

Regards,

Tom

8. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

TDS100 owner here. I use the Port City wave standard 2x12 with G12-65's most of the time. Sometimes I'll use my Mesa 1x12 Theile with a EV12L. On occasion I'll use a Port City Oversize 2x12 with Eminnence Cannabis rex's that also sounds awesome. My fav speaker is still the G12-65's for the Fuchs

9. devbro

devbro Member

I'm currently running mine through an Avatar 2x12 open back with a pair of EVM12L's. I've yet to try the 1265's. The 12L's add zero coloration and really let the amp shine through. You're gonna love this amp. I had an ODS50-SLX before and sold it before I found the right speakers.:rolleyes:

Take some time with this amp and don't expect to find what you're after right out of the box. The crunch mod on channel 2 is a little confusing until you tweak for a while.

10. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

SOMETIMES TRYING TO POST IS SOOO FRUSTRATING!!!

I just composed a freakin' novella about my tds 50 and tds 100 combo and it vaporized with "database error" when I tried to post. Email me....I'll send you my cell # and we can talk. I just ain't typing the whole thing all over again, lol.

Bottom line; the amp is absolutely amazing in its tone and versatility!
    Best,
    Michael

11. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

Sorry about that happening. One thing I found out is you can somtimes click on "refresh" in Explorer and it may go through. Another trick, when it gets to be a long post, I have learned to go over to "text mode" (the a/A icon in the top right corner of the entry screen) and do cntrl-C to grab all text just before hitting "submit reply" so it is in the clipboard.

I live in Norway, so telephone is a little expensive, I'll understand if you aren't up for typing all that you had again, but whatever info you want to share, I get a huge kick out of hearing descriptions of how the TDS 100 will interact with guitar, touch control, sound quality...etc.

Would like to hear more from anyone on the "crunch" channel too, if it takes some getting used to to set well (though that is a lot of the fun too...like a video game, if it all is TOO easy you miss some fun, but if it is too hard you get discouraged.) anything really...

keep them cards and letters coming, as they used to say...

12. fusionbear

The crunch channel on the TDS is the classic "D" sound. If you have ever listened to John Mayer's live cd, the crunch channel sounds very much like his copy of "Out of my mind". It also sounds very much like most of Robben Ford's dirty tones. The lead channel has tons of gain if you want it. I usually dial my lead channel to only have a little more gain than the crunch channel. The crunch channel also sounds great when you have the amp working pretty loud. It really sings and has great touch sensitivity. It responds well to both singles and humbuckers. It also takes pedals very well. A BB pre works great in all three channels.

13. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I likes!

Seriously, love hearing stuff like this.

14. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

<P>STB,&nbsp;&nbsp; HA!&nbsp; What's a little transatlantic phone bill between friends, lol.....I had no idea you weren't "in-country".&nbsp;&nbsp; With that in mind, I will gladly try to re-compose my little epistle.&nbsp; BTW:&nbsp; thanks for the tips. I WILL be using that shortly, lol.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I have both an early TDS 50 head (black with cane grill;&nbsp; very attractive) and a TDS 100 combo.&nbsp; YOU ARE GONNA LOVE THIS AMP WHEN IT ARRIVES.&nbsp; Channel 1 offers sparkly, chimey uber cleans that fatten up with the gain and boost control.&nbsp; Channel three is the characteristic creamy, liquid od and Channel two is the perfect blend between them allowing for anything from edge of breakup to full on od with a more grainy character than ch 3 (more Marshally to my ears than others that have posted).&nbsp; The head has the old config of ch 2 being the clean ch from the ods series.&nbsp; I've been using that Dumbly clean with pedals to get the crunch but after having the combo, I've finally decided the head has to go back to Andy for the mod.&nbsp; If this od sound is the character that you want, I don't think you can find a more versatile platform.&nbsp; Super clean for jazz or funk to endless sustain and harmonics.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Ch 2/3 should not be hard to dial in.&nbsp; Once you set your gain for ch 2, you can adjust ch 3 gain to compensate either way for the lead sound you want.&nbsp; Then it is a simple matter to adjust ch 3 volume for the amount you want your solo to sit above the crunch level.&nbsp; Shared eq for 2/3 has not been a problem for me as the basic character of the sound is similar and the mid and boost functions allow for thinner/thicker or less/more gain.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>As for speakers, 2 evl 12's in a custom Trutone vertical cab are probably&nbsp; my favorite as they do little to color the sound of the amp but can be really loud and forward in a smaller place.&nbsp; My TR Sig 2x12 with the usual 1265's sounds fabulous;&nbsp; a little warmer with some wool around the notes.<BR>Bob Burt&nbsp; V cabs sound great with Fuchs ods style amps (as well as look great).&nbsp; As an experiment, I picked up a pair of V cabs with a 10 and 12 in each.&nbsp; I put a mixture of Weber spkrs in (ev and jbl type 10's to hold their own with h30 and 1265 type 12's).&nbsp; These also sound excellent and are just the right length to accommodate the long chassis.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Add the gain and boost functions to all three channels and you have incredible versatility at your toes.&nbsp; PLUS, the clean channel takes pedals very well if you have a&nbsp; particular od that you can't live without.&nbsp; All around a tremendous product from a classy company with customer service as good as it gets.&nbsp; I also own a hand tuned ods 50, a Lucky 7 and Train 45 so you might say I'm partial to Andy's amps.&nbsp; However, I own 3 Two Rocks, a London 65, an Aiken and a Germino, etc....just to show that I don't think Fuchs are the only great amps out there.&nbsp; This is a great time to be chasing good tone, lol.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Don't worry....it'll be there soon....in the meantime, just keep going back to Andy's site and listening to the clips there, lol.<BR>Best,<BR>Michael</P>

15. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Once again, THANKS FOR THE TEXT TIP!! I had no idea. As usual, when I tried to post, I got the window that says not logged in although my name is at the top of the page....WTF??? So, copy and paste saved the day but added all those funky characters, sorry its so hard to read. I'm sure you'll let us know how you like it when the TDS arrives.

16. dspblues

dspblues Silver Supporting Member

Congrats on your new amp!

17. Dr.Tom

Dr.Tom Supporting Member

mykljpao,

I hope you don't mind but I took your post into Word and reformatted it with out some of the crazy characters because i wanted to see what you had to say, because I also have a TDS and an ODS and want to see how you use them. I have the ODS in 50 W Head that converts to a 1x12 combo and the TDS in a 100W head:

Regards,

Tom

18. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Tom, not only don't I mind, I very much appreciate your taking the time to turn that mush into readable form. Do you have a preference between your two Fuchs amps? I really miss the third channel when I'm using the ods now, but with the hand tuning, the ods is SO responsive, dynamic and sensitive that I miss those aspects when using the TDS...it's a conundrum. Throw the TR CRSig into the equation and I can spend an inordinate amount of time trying to decide which one to bring to the gig.
    The only drawback I see to the TDS is the very long chassis length. It only "fits" on certain cabs and I like to use vert 2x12's, on most of which, the head looks downight silly. I think I'd prefer stacked controls rather than the current linear layout. Pretty piddling complaint in view of all it's attributes.

19. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

First off, thanks so much for taking the time to rewrite, I really enjoyed reading that.

The statement here, is the TDS not as sensitive or touch sensitive as the ODS? I am sure I will be happy with it, but I like to play a lot of "touch" where I hit lightly then dig in in the strings, etc. I thought it was a very touch sensitive amp from just reading about it.

Also, what year is the one you are playing (the TDS100 I mean)? I think I read about some changes to the TDS lately that now are stock?

20. fusionbear

Having played both extensively, I have not noticed any diffference in the touch sensitivity. Granted, these are both stock. I'm sure hand tuning can make a difference a little here and there. Ask Andy about it.