• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Fuchs tube help

csweldon

Hey guys,
I need a little help with my Fuchs Mod. Normally, I'd email Andy, but he's at NAMM and I don't wanna bother him!

Recently, my ODS Mod seemed to have lost power; bass thinned out, overdrive kinda wimpy/ratty, when I hit a note hard it seems to get a burst, then wimp out.

Generally speaking, I associate loss of bass and power with power tubes, so I swapped em. Seems to have helped a little, but it's still missing something...

Does this sound like a job for new preamp tubes? I'm thinking it is, since the OD (while better) still isn't quite up to par, and it still gets that burst/wimp out with a hard strum. Still, insight is appreciated, especially if there's something else I might be missing.

Thanks, Tube Gurus!

NewDr.P

It doesn't make sense to me that new power tubes would 'help' but not correct the issue.

This would indicate there's multiple issues going on at the same time.

Time for a pro tech to look at it.

csweldon

It doesn't make sense to me that new power tubes would 'help' but not correct the issue.

This would indicate there's multiple issues going on at the same time.

Time for a pro tech to look at it.
I shoulda pointed out my lack of headroom that was fixed. My volume is back! But it sounded better at low volumes before. The preamp tubes are a few years old. So were the power tubes, actually. Was definitely time to swap em!

Worst case scenario, the amp gets sent for a visit at Uncle Andy's haha

Blue Strat

If the tubes are a few years old (and because it's really the only thing you can do, and you will need the tubes someday soon) I'd replace the preamp tubes as well.

csweldon

I've got some new JJ's coming in. Thought I had extra 12ax7s, but was mistaken - I've got an au7, at7, and a 5751. The Jan 5751 might help, but time to experiment and see if it's just one tube or more is just too slim. Couldn't hurt to just swap em all!

I'm pretty sure the JJs will do the trick :-D

Carl_Tone

I've got an au7, at7, and a 5751.
Generally not good for the Fuchs (imho) to use these lower gain variants of preamp tubes. Suggest you search and read everything you can find on tubes by Scott Lerner. Screen name scottl

csweldon

Generally not good for the Fuchs (imho) to use these lower gain variants of preamp tubes. Suggest you search and read everything you can find on tubes by Scott Lerner. Screen name scottl
No doubt! I coulda worded that better; all I have on hand are the at/au/5751, so I've got a set of JJ 12ax7s coming! The 5751 is a Jan and actually has gain close to a 12ax7 (unlike most 5751s) I like it in other amps, but I want full power for my Fuchs since I'm a single coil guy!

Definitely gotta read those Scott Lerner posts, never hurts to know more'

csweldon

Update: realized it was something obvious - my cab. I had migrated from a head/cab to a more portable combo just before getting my Pritchard. The small cab likes more volume to give up the good stuff! Can't believe I didn't think of it! Tried it through my old extension cab, it was just as good as I'd remembered!

Thanks for all your help!