füchs ODS 30 - HRM???

danel59

There are trimmers for OD, LOW and HIGH inside. which I would consider a tone stack of some sort at least in my ODS30SLX

No. Thats an HRM.
Tag to the rescue!

so...
what do the HIGH and LOW trimmers do and where are they located, electrically, in the circuit?

U chatting briefly about the füchs ODSXXXSLX in Ur RF thread and it's ability to squish liquid lines from (no right hand needed) led me back to playing the ODS30SLX again, and wishing that i could dial out the 'nasal' sound a bit when the OD was hit.
fun amp to play, that one.

Tag

Platinum Supporting Member
µ¿ z3®ø™;3705495 said:
Tag to the rescue!

so...
what do the HIGH and LOW trimmers do and where are they located, electrically, in the circuit?
Not sure, ask And or Scott Lerner, but its not an HRM. I would think pre overdrive.

U chatting briefly about the füchs ODSXXXSLX in Ur RF thread and it's ability to squish liquid lines from (no right hand needed) led me back to playing the ODS30SLX again, and wishing that i could dial out the 'nasal' sound a bit when the OD was hit.
fun amp to play, that one.

Yea, the Fuchs is a great amp, and a blast to play for sure! HRM amps are more articulate, WAY smoother, strain more, and just sound cooler to me. I THINK Andy used to have it as an option, (maybe still does?) but I would be very surprised if an HRM model did not show up soon. With all of the other builders making them now, the issue will be forced. Fuchs and TwoRock are going to lose a lot of sales if they do not move fast IMO. I am STILL surprsed Fuchs and twoRock do not have it, and its why I used to feel TwoRock was going backwards. These are all Dumble style amps, and Dumble WENT to the HRM in his later amps obviously because HE thought it sounded better. The TwoRock and Opal had it, and then they went away from it. Those are the last TwoRocks I really dug. I cant WAIT for a new HRM amp from them.
:drool
The E.Pro is still my fave!! Smooth, straining, whining tones. Even Dog ears Lerner fought with me for years about it, now he is a true believer, and uses the HRM all the time.
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!

Red Planet

I am by no means an expert on thius subject but did get a chance to play the ODS 30 SLX head into a Fuchs 2x12 a couple of months ago. I found the Clean sound to be unreal and the OD side to be very wide ranging in Tone and Gain. I was playing a Nash Tele through it and even with a Tele it was very smooth sounding. Not sure about the Tweaking Inside but I did Play a ODS over at Lefty's that had been fooled with and it was all out of whack.

HRM amps are more articulate, WAY smoother, strain more, and just sound cooler to me.
apples and oranges to me.
i like both the HRM and non-HRM for different reasons. agree w/ the smoother and 'strain' thing about the HRM. my bludo '80s non-HRM is still the king of articulate of any amp that i've ever played, tho'. absolutely uncanny, but can make me sound horrid if my chops are rusty.
i have a HRM bluesmaster 'clone' coming from brandon.

the füchs ODS30SLX w/ HRM would be mine in a minute.

joel

If you don't mind a little thread drift...

Esteemed Amp Scholars... Humble worm that I am, may I beg a pearl of wisdom? You say the TR Opal has the HRM post-overdrive stack. That's the little trimmer-board? (that we just decided wasn't a post-overdrive stack in the ODS30?) So with lead-bypass switch up, the Opal is non-HRM, lead-bypass down it's HRM? thnx...

quinnamps

The OD30 I played also had some interesting things in no dumble I have seen. Cathode biasing, regulated B+ supply, UL tapped as well IIRC... Interesting stuff.

jspax7

My hand tuned ODS30 has a High Frequency trimmer for the OD channel. I don't know if the current production amps have it. Ask Andy.

The OD30 I played also had some interesting things in no dumble I have seen. Cathode biasing, regulated B+ supply, UL tapped as well IIRC... Interesting stuff.
absolutely! one of the very reasons i'm so intrigued w/ this little beastie.
very unique voice and the amp sounds very cool when U push the initial gain and master up to get some of that lovely 6V6 grind happening.

quinnamps said:
So with lead-bypass switch up, the Opal is non-HRM, lead-bypass down it's HRM? thnx...
don't know about the opal, but on a d*mble the HRM is only in circuit when the OD is activated. a lovely way of getting the clean sound one wants and then being able to fine tune the OD to get closer to the spectral balance one desires. it, obviously, affects other things, as well. gain isn't as great on an HRM amp because some of the voltage is swallowed up in the trimmers.

scottl

Err... Except they use a 250K drive pot which actually allows for much more voltage on that stage. Depending on the pre-OD network and boost type, some HRM amps can get more OD. But, in general, they seem to have a little less OD, or the OD seems cleaner in some way. The drive pot is typically an audio as well. There is a massive gain boost if you dime the front panel OD control. Backing off just 1 or 2 numbers really removes a lot of gain.

µ¿ z3®ø™;3708901 said:
gain isn't as great on an HRM amp because some of the voltage is swallowed up in the trimmers.

scottl

In the Fuchs 30, the frequency controls are pre-od. They are quite passive in operation and they are somewhat interactive with the gain adjustment. I believe the lf od has been abandoned. The hf od and gain trimmer kind of work hand in hand and there a modest effect on lows depending on how the hf od is set. In my personal amp, I don't use the pre-od controls. I set and forget....

On newer amps, there is a post od treble control, similar to what I put on Tag's mod. Subtle, but some sort of post OD control.

Err... Except they use a 250K drive pot which actually allows for much more voltage on that stage.
OK, i sit corrected.
i hope i don't have to go to the back of the line now...

scott, i really dug the clips U did w/ the bluesmaster 'clone' that, i'm guessing, gary built. that amp sounds scary. i guess that amp must be sitting alone in the dark somewhere waiting for a good home?
i've started a home for wayward amps that builders have built for themselves and then moved on. i have one of brandon's and i'd be happy to provide a good home for that bluesmaster, if needed.

the high frequency trimmer in current iteration ODS30SLX amps really doesn't address the caveats about the 'nasal' quality of the OD. would 'hand tuning' work in this regard?

trap

µ¿ z3®ø™;3705495 said:
Fuchs and TwoRock are going to lose a lot of sales if they do not move fast IMO. I am STILL surprsed Fuchs and twoRock do not have it, and its why I used to feel TwoRock was going backwards. These are all Dumble style amps, and Dumble WENT to the HRM in his later amps obviously because HE thought it sounded better. The TwoRock and Opal had it, and then they went away from it. Those are the last TwoRocks I really dug. I cant WAIT for a new HRM amp from them.
:drool
The E.Pro is still my fave!! Smooth, straining, whining tones. Even Dog ears Lerner fought with me for years about it, now he is a true believer, and uses the HRM all the time.
VERY GOOD VERY GOOD!!
i think that it is an assumption that dumble did the hrm because he thought it sounded better. it is possible ,given his genius , that he knew he could add it even in the 80's but didn't until it was requested by some players in the 90's. every decade has it's tone.it is possible that it wasn't evolutionary but a change in taste. isn't the tan dumble at ultrasound a non hrm? i guess what i'm saying is, it's apples or bananas. i like both! they are just different. and andy fuchs and joe and bill know what they are doing. joe himself plays a custom reverb sig with 4 6V6's i believe. non hrm. food for thought.:)

Trending Topics