Fuel Tank Junior and moogerfoogers

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by skyn, Feb 23, 2009.

1. skyn

skyn Active Member

Hey guys, it's me asking for help again );

I, for the life of me, am unable to find out how many mA my Moogerfooger Phaser and Ring Mod require and thus am unable to decide if a Fuel Tank Junior can power my board up. Each outlet of the Fuel Tank Junior produces about 120mA. Also, does 120mA per outlet mean it can only power up to a maximum of 120mA when daisy chained?

It's almost impossible to find a PP2+ here in Singapore, so if you guys have one for sale, please do gimme a shout!

Thanks!!

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

120mA max per outlet means just that - each output is a separate 120mA power source. You can daisy chain off a single output (running more than one pedal from that output), but the total current draw of those pedals can not be more than 120mA.

As each output is separate and isolated from the others, you can also combine outputs for different results. The Fuel Tank JR comes with a "voltage doubler" cable, which lets you combine two outputs in series for 18 volts DC, 120mA. T-Rex also has a "current doubler" cable (not supplied with the FT JR), which combines two outputs in parallel, for 9 volts DC, 240mA.

According to their manuals, both MF-102 Ring Modulator and the MF-103 Phaser draws around 100mA @ 9vDC. Wether or not it will work with the FT JR will come down to what "around" 100mA means, I suppose. Either way, the plug will have to be center positive (i.e. reverse from normal).

/Andreas

3. skyn

skyn Active Member

Ah so essentially in theory, I'll be able to power my pedals which are Vox 847>TS9>OCDv3>MXR Blue Box>Redwitch Chorus>Moog Ring Mod>Moog Phaser>DD20>Pedalwaves Tuner with a Fuel Tank Junior?

5 outlets, each of 120mA:
    1 outlet: Daisy Chain - Vox 847, TS9, OCD, Blue Box, Chorus, Tuner
    1 outlet: Moog Ring Mod
    1 outlet: Moog Phaser
    2 outlets: Boss DD20

Would a Fuel Tank Juciy Lucy or Voodoo Labs Pedal Power AC (Although having only 4 outlets, 1200mA an outlet seems pretty crazy, considering the Junior gives 120mA and PP2+ only 80-100mA) serve my needs better?

The reason I'm trying to be as sure as possible is due to the fact I'm so tight on budget I'm gonna have to start eating my leg hair for dinner soon.

P.S. Stinkfoot, your website regarding power has been a great help!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2009
  4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

In theory, it should work. You'd have to get some special cables to make it work, though: two reverse polarity cables for the Moog pedals, and a current doubler cable for the DD20 (you can use a regular daisy chain for this, with two plugs in the two outputs used, and a third in the pedal - cut off or tape up any unused plugs).

However, as you'll be daisy-chaining most of the pedals from a single output, I'd run the wah on battery power (it draws next to nothing anyway, and if it is first in the chain you will unplug it by default when you're done). If you still get noise, consider running the TS-9 and/or OCD on battery power as well (you can use dummy 2.1mm DC plugs to turn the batteries off without having to unplug the input cables).

/Andreas

5. skyn

skyn Active Member

Yep, I've got the appropriate reverse polarity cables for the Moogs. However now I'm deciding between a Fuel Tank Junior and a Juciy Lucy: any comment on which you'd recommend?

Your help has been much appreciated.

6. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The Pedal Power AC is not an option - it only provides AC voltages, which none of your pedals need. The Pedal Power 2+ would be an option, as it would save you most of the daisy-chaining. But it's quite a bit more money, and at least where I am, you'd get two Fuel Tank JR's for less...

7. skyn

skyn Active Member

Oops, I think you caught me while I was editing away the Pedal Power AC option as I too realised it was an AC-only power supply. Its actually a decision between Juicy Lucy and the Junior seeing as how I would not have to waste an extra outlet for the DD20, and there should be more then enough current for the Moogs. My main concern now is overpowering my pedals and in the process frying them tho. I've read somewhere that all 9v pedals can take a 12v power source, but I've yet to put that to the test and I'm unsure if my pedals can handle it.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The Juicy Lucy is 12 volts DC, which the Moogerfoogers have no problem with. The DD-20 will probably not mind either, but the extra voltage will put extra strain on its voltage regulators. The overdrives and Blue Box will sound a little different (stiffer, with more headroom) than on 9vDC power, which you may or many not like.

9. skyn

skyn Active Member

Ah, what would the adverse effects of the extra strain on the voltage regulators have? Unfortunately I'm not well versed at all in the workings of electricity as you can tell. I've also heard that everything generally sounds different with the increase in voltage supplied. I'm mostly concerned about my pedals not going to hell.

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

With the Moogerfoogers and the DD-20 (and possibly the chorus as well), you wouldn't hear any difference in sound. The voltage regulators limit the voltage reaching the circuits to a set number, so going higher than recommended will not change anything. The extra voltage will just be dissipated as heat, which also is what puts extra strain on the regulators.

Simpler circuits without voltage regulators (such as the TS-9, OCD and Blue Box) will receive the full 12 volts, and may therefore sound different than when fed 9 volts.

11. skyn

skyn Active Member

Ah, as long as my pedals don't start smoking I'm a happy camper. Thank you for all your input :) I'd probably be getting a Juicy Lucy. WOohoooO.