Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by benbenben, Jan 15, 2008.

1. benbenben

benbenben Member

Hey TGPers.

Alright, I just walked into the store and I'm so close to picking up a crapload of items. I've come out wanting a Fuel Tank, a Pedaltrain Pro and a Lovepedal Eternity.

Basically i wanna know how good the fuel tank really is. I've been using the 1spot for a while now and it's served me well. The only issue i have with it is that it can get very messy cause it's just one string of cables and that I need to plug it into a powerboard which makes my board look very untidy. I would like to mount the Fuel tank on the board and have each output going to my pedals cause I'm at the point of just making my board look nice. I believe it gives out 500mA at 9v, another 500mA at 12v DC and another 500mA at 12v AC. I'm wanting to know what can and cannot use the 12v. I know some drives work fine and sometimes even sweeter with higher voltages. I'm not too sure if 500mA 9V is enough to power my pedals but i was hoping you guys could help.

This is my projected list of pedals.
    Lovepedal Eternity
    Hermida Zendrive
    Crowther Audio Hotcake to be replaced by a Paul Cochrane Timmy
    RC Booster
    ? Lady
    Lovepedal 100lb of Tone (if i can find one)
    Jim Dunlop Hendrix Octavia

Visual Sound Visual Volume
    Fulltone Std Clyde Wah

Analogman Analog AR20DL Delay
    Empress Superdelay (when it comes out)

Empress Tremolo
    Analogman Chorus
    Vox Vibravox
    Line 6 Verbzilla

Which ones will work with 12v? and what exactly is the 12v AC for? Will any of these pedals work in that AC output? I wanna know before i spend pedals worth of cash on a powersupply.

2. willyredeemed

willyredeemed Member

the fuel tank does not have isolated power...how much is the fuel tank selling for? you may want to consider the voodoo lab pedal power 2 plus...i know the fuel tank looks more impressive with the baby blue *that's what got me too:)* but isolated power is very important. the pp2+ sells for $165 new. I'd suggest the fuel tank junior, but it only has five isolated outputs and powers only up to 9v.

3. benbenben

benbenben Member

No one else able to help?

4. thezeng

thezeng Member

ehm... i dont really know what voltages are for some of your pedals, but maybe just get a one spot first, power all of that. see which pedals cause the most hum. get a fuel tank jr (those look nicer! >_>) or a voodoo labs pp2+ and power the ones which take the most power/hum the most (and for your L6 pedal)

5. thefacelessnate

thefacelessnate Member

It's worth the investment, go with the voodoo

6. rnm14

rnm14 Member

The 12v AC is for the T-Rex Replica. Go with the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 and thank us later, sorry but the nonisolated issue has been driving me nuts. Can you say HUMMMMMMMMMM

7. Joses

Joses Member

Go for the T-rex Junior (or in your case 3 of them)...isolation of the 9v pedals will make a big difference, especially if you're planning to run 6-7 dirts/drives. Using a Fuel Tank Classic may most likely result in hum.

Look at it this way - the 9v section of the Classic is basically a 1spot that gives only 500ma, as all of the outputs share the same ground.

8. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

the fuel tank junior is awesome for what it is, but it also does 18volts with a y cable, it can do this due to the isolated outputs, so you get 9 volts or 18 volts with 5 outlets.

9. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

+1 for the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2. I also own a Fuel Tank Classic & don't like it. In addition to not having isolated outputs, it's a switching power supply, which works fine on some of my amps but introduces noise in others. This will be true of the other isolated Fuel Tank models as well.

The Voodoo Lab uses a special transformer to minimize noise, has isolated outputs & is dead quiet on every amp I use. (I'm also powering a Replica with it and have had no issues.) There is no substitute, get the Voodoo Lab.

10. mcdes

mcdes Member of no importance

just to clarify:

the fuel tank jnr is awesome, does not add noise, hum or anything bad at all in my setup.

but it is my acoustic pedal board supply. for my electric i use the pp+2 and you just cant beat it. if your power requirments are small then fuel tank jnr, for everything else, pp+2!

11. iluvstrats

iluvstrats Member

How are you powering the Replica? Are you using the courtesy AC plug?

12. askretti

askretti Member

I use the Fuel Tank Classic, with a mixture of cheap, medium, and homebuilt pedals, mainly distortion and overdrives....
    I just love it, no problem with noise at all.

13. MjCartney

MjCartney Neo-Maxi Zoom Dweebie Silver Supporting Member

I use one of the L6 outputs. Been running it for more than a year that way & haven't had any issues yet.