Fuel

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
Whatever happened to this band? I thought they had some good songs, I'm surprised they didn't keep going on. For that era, I thought they were one of the better bands.

chrisjw5

LSD - lead singer disease.

I knew them before they were famous. I knew them before they were Fuel - they were originally Small The Joy.

After the Something Like Human album, there was a growing tension between Brett Scallions and Carl Bell. Eventually Carl left; he was the more musically-minded and cerebral. Brett was the rock star. The last I heard, Carl was living near Vegas doing film and video work as well as some production.

playsarobin

Results. Not excuses.
I liked fuel a lot. Still do, really. If i remember correctly, daughtry was offered the lead singer spot after covering a song on American Idol, but turned it down to pursue the solo thing. He's another great live act, fwiw.

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
Im a fan

They were 1 of those late 1990s bands that wrote some good tunes that were radio friendly but still solid material as well, the first CD (Sunburn) is REALLY awesome alternative rock CD imo, not many weak points on that album. Carl Bell was the guitarist and biggest song writer in the original lineup, they were one of my favs of the late 90s early 2000s

They had a CD from 2 years ago ( 2014 release -- Puppet Strings) that was a very good CD, (no Carl Bell or Jeff Ambercrombie on the CD) but the CD is solid and definetley worth a listen and buy imo

I like the songs ---- Time for me to Stop, Yeah, Soul to Preach, Hey Mama (a bluesy black crowes vibe) Cold Summer and the last song "What we can never had" is a very strong emotional heart tugging ballad type song

Good Stuff.. :aok

Last edited:

TheGuildedAge

As above, I saw them before they hit it big. They played a now closed club called Jitterbugs in the little town of Edwardsville, PA.

My friend was a bouncer there and has their demo tape.

Stratonator

Their (great) lead singer developed some vocal issues which caused stress and rift between him and the guitarist. The band never recovered from that.

The ex-lead singer played with The Doors as their singer for a while.

All of this is from memory so I could be missing some details.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
I heard that the group still tours as Fuel, only one version has Brett and the other Carl and everyone else.

Guitarfool

Silver Supporting Member
LSD - lead singer disease.

I knew them before they were famous. I knew them before they were Fuel - they were originally Small The Joy.

After the Something Like Human album, there was a growing tension between Brett Scallions and Carl Bell. Eventually Carl left; he was the more musically-minded and cerebral. Brett was the rock star. The last I heard, Carl was living near Vegas doing film and video work as well as some production.
Very cool

Yea I was a fan, the debut CD is really good straight ahead rock music that was somewhat radio/mainstream friendly, did you get a chance to listen to the latest CD from them I posted?, thoughts?

kselbee

Silver Supporting Member
Those first two albums were killer with the first being one of my favs of that era. Brett continues but the magic doesn't seem to be there without Carl.

mdrake34

I heard that the group still tours as Fuel, only one version has Brett and the other Carl and everyone else.
Yep. IIRC, Brett had vocal cord issues also, but he denied that.

Hemorrhage and Falls on Me were great 2000's rock tunes.

chrisjw5

As above, I saw them before they hit it big. They played a now closed club called Jitterbugs in the little town of Edwardsville, PA.

My friend was a bouncer there and has their demo tape.
HA!

I was at Jitterbugs ALL. THE. TIME. Lyn, the owner, was a dear friend.

In fact, I wrote for the house magazine, Soundcheck, which was how I got to know Fuel. I got asked to do a profile on them the first time they came around. Carl gave me a cassette copy of Small the Joy (which I still have) and a bunch of CD copies of Porcelain, which was the demo that landed them at Sony/550. Six or seven of those songs ended up on Sunburn, and I tend to think the demo versions are - in some ways - better.

Fuel played a goodbye show at 'Bugs after they signed to Sony/550 and they asked me to introduce them. It was incredibly cool. When I was reviewing Porcelain, I intentionally pulled a Jon Landau and wrote something to the effect of "buy this CD, come to Jitterbugs and get it signed. This band will be huge." And I wasn't joking - I heard hundreds and hundreds of demos from bands wanting a review and nothing even came close. The songcraft was there, the sounds were there, the production was very good. (I still maintain that it didn't need to be re-recorded as much as remastered; Sunburn is too compressed for my tastes)

That tear sheet ended up on the conference table at Sony as they were negotiating; we were distributed at CBGB, which is where someone from 550 apparently picked up my piece. Now, I had nothing to do with them getting signed, but Carl was incredibly gracious about it, which was how I got asked to bring them on-stage.

So, doing the intro, I decided to go all out. The place was packed and I went with "enjoy the hell out of this band tonight, because you will never see them in a club this small again. The next time you see them will be the Spectrum or Madison Square Garden." A few months later, when they went on the road with Aerosmith and got booked at MSG, Carl called me and lead with "Man, you were right.... guess where we just got booked" in that Tennessee drawl of his. I think that was the last time I talked to him.

Carl Bell is an underrated songwriter and a very tasty guitar player who knows how to serve the song. Jeff Abercrombie was always nice, but seemed quite shy. Their original drummer, Jody Abbott, kind of got screwed. Management said he couldn't cut it in the studio, so they bumped him out for Jonathan Mover from Satriani's band for the sessions. Mover played that last Jitterbugs show with them, while Jody stood with me. It was quite uncomfortable and really sad. Jody was a great guy, and all he could say was "dude is horning in on my gig, man." And it was only one introduction, but I thought Mover was a jerk. Carl took me over and introduced me to him (Carl and I were ordering food 4 or 5 hours before the doors opened and Carl wanted to see if Jonathan wanted anything) and he essentially blew both of us off. Whatever. He was a really good player, but he didn't do anything on those songs that I didn't hear Jody play a dozen times before.

The guys all autographed a CD for me that night, Brett wrote: "Chris, we owe you a hooker". I'm waiting to redeem it.

BTW - the connection with Live was their booking agent. Media Five was a giant around here in the 90's. Chad Taylor from Live's dad was managing several young bands at the time. He used to call me from time to time to come to showcases - unfortunately, most of those bands were just hopping on the same train, but they weren't as good.

@TheGuildedAge - thanks for reminding me of all that. There's probably a good book in that scene. Fuel, Breaking Benjamin, The Badlees, Cider.... for a brief time, it seemed like Wilkes-Barre could be 'the new Seattle'. There was a lot of talent in that club for a few years.

Last edited:

sws1

The singer broke his nose (or something like that), and when fixed, he sounded different. Tensions follow. Everyone splits.

TheGuildedAge

HA!

I was at Jitterbugs ALL. THE. TIME. Lyn, the owner, was a dear friend.

BTW - the connection with Live was their booking agent. Media Five was a giant around here in the 90's. Chad Taylor from Live's dad was managing several young bands at the time. He used to call me from time to time to come to showcases - unfortunately, most of those bands were just hopping on the same train, but they weren't as good.

@TheGuildedAge - thanks for reminding me of all that. There's probably a good book in that scene. Fuel, Breaking Benjamin, The Badlees, Cider.... for a brief time, it seemed like Wilkes-Barre could be 'the new Seattle'. There was a lot of talent in that club for a few years.
Such a small world. I used to play with Cider every once in a while, Eric would let me plug into that Marshall full stack of his. Lyn lives down the road from me, no joke. Media 5 was a giant around here.

Crazy.

It was a fun scene. Cider every Sunday at Jitterbugs. Remember Moe, their sound guy! What a trip he was!

Breaking Benjamin used to open for my old band when they were still doing covers. Internet tough guy aside, I actually got into a really heated argument with their current bassist a few years ago when he was filling in at a local shop. Funny story, in hindsight, though at the time I damn near killed him. I don't have too many kind words about Breaking Ben, to be honest.

rickcard71

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah but, where these bands from PA?

Trending Topics