fugazi amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by garfight, Apr 24, 2005.

1. garfight

garfight Member

i know theres a couple of people floating around here that listen to fugazi.ive been hooked on this band since i heard their first record and have since gone through phases where my listening to them ebbs and flows. well ive been listening to them quite a bit lately and it just dawned on me while watching instrument that a big part of why i like them so much is ians guitar tone.
    well i know that he plays jcm800 s but icant really tell from the live footage which model it is exactly i can see 4 el34s in the back and the 2 inputs on the front are next to each other. anybody know what model it is and why it sounds so much better than all the ones ive played?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Marshalls...at least when I saw em a couple of years back.

3. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I have always loved these guys. Its not every day you hear them brought up on message boards.
    To help you along, I'm not sure about the model of JCM 800 Ian uses, but I think Guy Piciotto's sound has a lot to do with fugazi's tones too. I know that last time I saw them (man...probably 1996) Guy was using a Rickenbacker and an old Park halfstack! I was pretty surprised, but it definitely makes sense since histone is so open and jangly even though its loud enough to make you bleed from the eyes :D
    Good luck determining which Marshall that is.

4. toggle

toggle Guest

garfight-

I haven't seen fugazi in years, but I'm reasonable sure that Ian regularly used a 2203 head - 100 watts, master volume, JCM800 series. As for why it sounds better than those you've tried, I can't say, but the one's I've played through have sounded great, in general.

-Tom

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Those JCM800s have got to be CRANKED to sound good. The master just determines how much crunch, doesn't really make it quieter.

6. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

Pretty sure he got it from Steve @ Angela instruments (Guy too-the whole Minor Threat/meatmen/Dag Nasty/Bad Religion bloodline have been longtime customers), meaning it's probably just a good ,stock, well set up example w/great tubes. ;) Seriously! (was an longtime on/off employee at the Bethesda/Laurel MD shops..)

7. garfight

garfight Member

well ive been doing some research- and i read something about the inputs being reconfigured in the mid 80's .anybody know if theres any tonal differences between the vertical and horizontal input 2203s?

8. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

I think he also uses Dimarzio Super Distortion. I think if you tried a JCM800 with a Dimarzio Super Distortion, you would pretty much be there.

9. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I've seen Fugazi 3 times and everytime they were loud as f%#$. The guitars always sounded great!

I had a JCM 800 way back. I sold it because my band mates complained that it was too loud. (I was young and dumb, and this was before I knew about hot plates, powerbrakes, etc) I was the first one to get a tube half stack and the bassist had a really low wattage peavey combo. I wish I still had that amp. Now I'm jonesing for a JCM 800 :D

10. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

I had a chance to play with Minor Threat in 1983. Ian wasn't playing then but everything else was Marshall 800 2203.

Of all the HC acts I had a chance to hang with or play with. These guys were the best/most fun/easiest to spend time with. Ian lives his vision and has always stayed true to his ideals.

I really don't think that it would matter a whole bunch to him what he played through.

11. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Ian- JCM800
    Guy- vintage Park

12. gizmo

gizmo Guest

The original master volume series from '81 to about '84-'85 came with the 2 inputs mounted vertically. The controls were connected via flying lead wires. Somewhere around '84-'85 Marshall switched to horizontal inputs mounting the controls directly to the board, added diodes, and came out with reverb and channel switching models.

"Generally" the original vertical input models without the diodes and channels are the most highly sought after ones - they are most like the earlier '70s JMPs.

Go to the Les Paul Forum and do a search on JCM 800. There will be hours of reading on the very topics I addressed above.

Incidentally, I have an '83 JCM 800 50 watt combo (4010 model) with the vertical inputs. Fantastic Marshall rock tone!

13. garfight

garfight Member

thanks for all the info guys-
    i guess not playing a gig in over 8 months and watching live footage of one of the best live bands ever is not a good combination for keeping gas in check. you think the wife would notice a new marshall in my music room?????

:D

14. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

Anyone catch their last album? I thought I heard a echo pedal somewhere. Is Ian finally messing with pedals? I think guy always had a MXR Distortion in his chain, right?

15. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

le_plastique:
    Last time I saw them (ages ago as mentioned above, '96) They had a tape echo of some kind sitting on the stage ... I remember them using it for freak-out ****. I think it was on "Give me the cure" off of their first EP (which has some weirndess on the end in its recorded version...) So, I think they've just used whats best for the song....Although they are among the least "gear conscious" bands, it seems. : )

16. le_plastique

le_plastique Member

I think I saw him saying in a interview that he considered it part of his style to not be involved with effects. I think he used the term "anti-option". Also has anyone heard his other project that recently came out? Evens, I think it's called. And if you guys haven't early Q and Not U was great stuff. It was a little obvious (within the first song it's like "Okay, Gang of Four, Fugazi, Mission of Burma, and some Sonic Youth style discordance...") but it's still really good.

17. kingink

kingink Gold Supporting Member

Wow, a whole thread that mentions some of my favorite bands. I don't usually bring up my tastes on this board, simply because I assume no one shares them (which is not a diss towards anyone on this board--all the blues guys around here have given me fantastic advice). Most indie/punk types aren't gearheads. I always assumed I was one of the few. Le Plastique, you named some of my all time faves. Add Birthday Party, early PiL, This Heat, the Fall, Joy Division, Wire, Blurt, James White/Chance/Contortions.

As to the Fugazi tone: I would imagine a JCM 800 50 watt would do fine, though it does seem like Fugazi uses the 100 watter. I've played through a friend's JMP, and I thought that sounded pretty close as well. It's weird what someone above said about Dimarzio superdistortion pups, just cuz I never thought of Fugazi's guitar tones as especially distorto, but I'm not claiming expertise here.

david

18. cancelthesound

cancelthesound Member

I'm into punk and indie and I'm a total gear head. :D
    I really like Q and Not U's first record and I love Jawbox...and so many others as well. So you are not alone, i also dig all kinds of other music be it classic rock, blues, metal, etc etc.

The advice around here is great, I don't think there is a better place on the web for guitar related stuff.

19. 6AM

6AM Supporting Member

All I listen to is punk/indie/hardcore and I'm one of the biggest gearheads ever.

The Superdistortion was named that in the mid 70s and is the same pickup they made then. So it's not new metal sorta "distortion", more like just a kick in the pants. Brian Baker (Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Bad Religion) uses the same pickups.

20. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

in an unrelated note

this has made me nostalgic for that time. I went to Ebay and found my bands 7" Ep bidding is up to 47.00!

I no longer have a copy but...I can guarantee that it is not worth 47.00.

Funny