fugazi amps?

Frank B

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by 6AM
Brian Baker (Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Bad Religion) uses the same pickups.

Brian Baker rocks. I love his playing on 'Field day' but then again I love Dr. Know's playing on "I against I" but I really dig Tal Farlow on anything. I'm conflicted.

Originally posted by 6AM
All I listen to is punk/indie/hardcore and I'm one of the biggest gearheads ever.

The Superdistortion was named that in the mid 70s and is the same pickup they made then. So it's not new metal sorta "distortion", more like just a kick in the pants. Brian Baker (Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Bad Religion) uses the same pickups.

Brian Baker :dude Hells Yeah!

Mastervolume

Originally posted by 6AM
haha! I was going to bid on that! I'm a collector of gear and old punk records. I wanted that especially because of the Reflex/Husker Du connection.

Funny - I may bid on it just to have one.

Hanging with Bob and Grant in those days was a lot of fun. Incidently In the Family was a song about having to kiss the Huskers a$$ in order to get to play anywhere at that time. Bob produced the album and I don't think he ever knew.....

raul

Wow, a gaggle of people that are into punk and what may be different than what a lot of the blues and jazz guys around here are into. I'm more into the proto punk glam rock and roll thing myself but have beem involved with underground music since the early 80's, since first discovering it on Night Flight!
Ian uses a 100 watt 2203. He likes to keep it simple. A friend of mine told me this as he has inside info since he knows folks like Greg from Bad Religion/Circle Jerks and a whole bunch of others.
Here in Austin, TX. we get to see a whole lot of bands and it's always been a great place to check out live music! If only my band could get off the ground...

Antero

The thing Fugazi does gearwise, from what I've read, is to use minimalism as a tool - to see how much they can get out of one good guitar and one good amp, and work with those tools, rather than have a bunch of things and not truly connect with any of them. Kinda makes sense.

I love Fugazi, and I worship Gang of Four - Andy Gill is such a deranged guitarist, completely out of control yet rhythmically perfect. Q & Not U is great, too - I dig the funky stuff on the latest album.

I've got a ticket to see Gang of Four soon - the original lineup reformed for the first time since 81, and if they're half as awesome as the bootleg '79 concert I have, I should get rocked to the ground. :cool:

garfight

wow!!!
its so weird to see all these old punk guys speaking up.ive been listening to and playing punk/doom/hardcore music for 15 or so years now.seems like when you hit punk rock geezerdom the nostalgia from other punk/underground /weirdos is a comforting thing.im really happy to see all you guys around - makes me feel at "home" so to speak.:D

raul

This is a very cool thread. Yes. Maybe it should continuue in another form rather than the Fugazi amps thread to make it a little more broad of a subject? I'm sure not everyone around here likes Fugazi even if they are into punk, outsider music, glam punk, whatever it may be. Ya know? Like the whole genre in general including good reads, recordings, what gear was used to record with or play live, gigs, and all the juicy crap that comes along with it! I love gear talk and I love crazy music so i think that would be fun.

Originally posted by raul
Ian uses a 100 watt 2203. He likes to keep it simple.

I'm pretty sure the JCM 800 single channel amplifiers were the go to amps for a lot of DC bands. They were readily available, relatively inexpensive, and they work so well for that style of music (Now I'm really pissed that I sold mine :( the prices have gone through the roof the past few years).

I know the guys from Jawbox used the 50 watt JCM 800s. Jawbox is a favorite of mine and I've also seen J. Robbins' other bands (Burning Airlines and Channels) several times and he is still using a JCM 800. The man can sing and play some mean guitar.

Actually, the reason I first got a Schecter guitar was because of Jawbox, they're definitely not just guitars for metal.

le_plastique

Hmm... maybe someone should just post a weekly punk post thats a free for all. Discuss bands we like, have discovered, and gear and so forth. If all else fails we can all just talk about how much we hate My Chemical Romance and those damned poser emo kids with horn rimmed glasses.

Jason Calieri

Silver Supporting Member
Originally posted by Justin Jurman
Anyone here into Quicksand??

Absolutely. I grew up listening to a lot of the NYC post-hardcore stuff, like Quicksand, Helmet, Orange 9mm, Handsome, Into Another. Still some of my all-time favorite bands.

raul

I myself am not into the emo thing at all. i like music with more soul to it than that. it's gotta be greasy and rockin'. it seems that emo and this post punk thing is going through a big revival right now with a lot of bands doing the Gang Of Four meets The Fall kinda thing. which is fine but i'm not so much a fan of it. like i said, i like it more soulful and with it's roots in blues and rock and punk with big hooks and killer riffs. not much of a ska fan. anybody else here share the same taste in music?

le_plastique

Originally posted by raul
I myself am not into the emo thing at all. i like music with more soul to it than that. it's gotta be greasy and rockin'. it seems that emo and this post punk thing is going through a big revival right now with a lot of bands doing the Gang Of Four meets The Fall kinda thing. which is fine but i'm not so much a fan of it. like i said, i like it more soulful and with it's roots in blues and rock and punk with big hooks and killer riffs. not much of a ska fan. anybody else here share the same taste in music?

Huh... you should check out X. Actually, I'm probably on the other end of the spectrum. I like a lot of really strange stuff. It's not punk, but lately I've been into stuff like Can and Neu!, I can't understand the lyrics even when they sing in english, it's just that I think the music is so awesome. I sometimes wonder if the drummer from Tool listened to Can. I like one point your brought up though, for about the past decade and a half it's been really hip to have, for lack of a better word, a refferential band. It's weird, everyone want's to blatantly sound like a amalgam of 2 or 3 people and no more. I don't like that. I don't like groups you can figure out in 30 seconds. Thats what always made Fugazi so fascinating me. As for Rival Schools I'll have to listen to them again. It's been a while.

And for the edit, Raul you might like The Afghan Whigs.

garfight

Originally posted by le_plastique
and those damned poser emo kids with horn rimmed glasses.
HAAH!!!!!
The worst is the gelled up swirly haircut.rebellious ,but with a nice hint of refinement!!!!!
my gutterpunk friends would have had a fieldday with that one........

raul

The Afghan Whigs are a band that i listened to for a while maybe like 10 years ago? have not heard them in ages!

X form LA or the X from down under? like both of them but i really like X from LA ! They have a grat mix of folk and punk and i'm not much of a folkster but they are just so damn catchy! yes to X ! And Billy Zoom is a cool looking fellow...

i know what you mean about everybody sounding like everybody else. it's very difficult to sound and be original these days since we are all influenced by what we read, listen to and digest in general. all the bands that we love are influenced, the trick is to make it your own. you have to mutate things and make a different monster out of it. sometimes it works and works well. other times it just sounds so...influenced. I guess i'm guilty of that one as well. A lot of what i come up with has a proto punk rock glam vibe to it because that's one of my fave genres. i also love blues and yes, i'm not a 1 dimentional rock music snob. i love wierd music! Fugazi are one of the best at being weird. They still do that genre better than anyone! i love how they sound different on every recording and they are so unafraid to take chances, which is a something many folks are afraid of. they take huge risks by the horns and always come up with something spectacular! i only wish i could do the same but i just wanna rock, hahaha...

So, who here is into the super hopped up sounds of bands like The Dictators, Dead Boys, Rolling Stones, Hanoi Rocks, Iggy And The Stooges, Silverhead, Bowie/Ronson ? I love stuff like that mixed with big hooks and greasy chord changes. and great bluesy solo's! i love a lot of old glam rock even if it is silly at times. it's just so damn catchy! i like to mix it up with power and a sleaze rock vibe. even AC/DC, Kiss, Aerosmith and Cheap Trick! some of my faves there as well as The Move, old B.O.C., geez so much music out there...anybody else like this music?

raul

sorry guys for another reply here but is anybody here into The Manic Street Preachers? James Dean Bradfield is one of my fave guitar players and influences me on many different levels. They had such a manic sound in the early to mid 90's but went in a more pop style after a while. The Holy Bible and Everything Must Go are very good cd's and sound very different from one another but the music is killer! JD somkes on the guitar and the first cd they put out has lots of wild guitar playing. Anybody here know if he is self taught, knows theory etc? just curious...

Top Bottom