FULL REVIEW! Vox VT100X 100w tube hybrid modeling amp review.

1st I'll preface this with saying I am pretty picky when it comes to amps & especially let down with any kind of digital processors/modeling the last several years.

I've went through 2 rounds of buying a Fractal AXE-FX Ultra... time spent with the Kemper...Various newer Zoom offerings... and always went back to my Bogner Shiva & pedalboard.

I decided a week ago to give the VT100X a try just for fun & have been pleasantly surprised!

The 1st thing that stood out to me was amount of volume this amp can put out. For 100w it is extremely powerful. Often I'll find that SS or modeling amps will lack headroom on the clean settings & be able to peel the paint off walls on overdriven channels. Not the case with the VT100X. It has a heaping helping of clean headroom that will satisfy most players, even demanding country players that need a good solid clean channel with plenty of headroom.

2nd.. It doesn't seem to have the digital harshness/thin tone of many modeling amps I've tried. Even when you dig in hard, it seems to maintain smoothness. maybe this can be attributed to the tube preamp? (Speaking of that, the amp will not come on at all until that tube has had time to warm up.. so it is definitely playing a part in the signal path)

3rd.. As a guy who spends a good bit of time playing country... compression is important. This is the 1st modeling amp that I have truly liked the compression on. Is it as good as my Keeley or Wampler compressor?.. no.. probably not. But very good. Smooth, fat, quiet, and toneful.

4th.. Often people want a master volume that makes the amp sound the same on 1 as it does on 7-8... Although I understand that desire.. realistically most amps sound & behave differently when the power tubes are pumping harder, therefore that isn't always the most realistic feature. This amp seems to behave more like a real tube amp as you turn the master volume up (even though it isn't a tube power amp).. Therefore, I find it is important to setup your EQ's & overall tone in a volume range that you might actually be using the amp in. (EX: if you are going to be playing on a fairly louder stage.. adjust all your settings with the master volume turned up a little more.. it will result in you having to make fewer adjustments at the gig). The good news is.. making adjustments on the fly is EXTREMELY easy. You can make changes as needed at the gig about as easy as you could a standard amp / pedalboard setup.

5th.. Often I find amp "models" to be lacking as far as "live amp in the room" sound. I'd nearly always opt for a clean amp setting stacked with some pedals in the front of the chain (Which you can do on this amp)... However, the included amp models sound very very good live in the room. Very useable. Yes, I may be flamed for this, but I honestly like the amp-in-room sounds better out of this amp than I did with my Fractal's... and I did extensive testing with the fractal using FR speakers, running into a combo amp, and poweramp/cab setups. Still, I like the sound of this VT100X better. Sorry.. I do.

6th. programming. FUGHETTABOUT IT! I didn't even crack the manual open.. it was that easy & self explanatory if you've had any time under your belt with processors. Very Very easy work flow.

7th. FX quality is very good. Somewhat limited options.. but you get all the meat & potato FX that 99% of most people will need. I will say Axe-FX does beat this amp in sheer FX "quality", but overall, the FX are very good quality.

8th. The documentation included about running the amp with the Vox ToneRoom software was very lacking. Big letdown there. They should have a big section on using this software, I saw only a 1 paragraph blurb about it in the manual.

9th. My biggest letdown with the amp would probably be the slick black, non-tolex covered back panel of the amp. That is just asking to get all scraped up & look horrendous in a short time if used in a gigging setting. Kind of cheap. The cabinet feels solid, but not heavy duty. Amp is not very heavy at all. If you're going to gig with it, I would suggest treating it with great care... or investing in a road case. It's not going to hold up to rough use like a vintage Fender, Mesa, Bogner etc. It just wont.

I highly recommend this amp to anyone looking for a wide array of versatile tones, high power handling for real gigs, and just a lot of fun to use without hours of reading a manual.

I compared this amp to the new Roland Cube 80x, Previous Vox modeling amps, Fender Mustang, and Line 6 offerings. The VT100X trumped them all in tone, power, and overall versatility. Get it!

eriwebnerr

Very interesting - glad to hear. Hearing a lot of good things on the all analog Vox AV line which is a bit more costly, and wondered how these stacked up. Sounds like it would be a good consideration if looking at a the Fender Mustang range.
@Lucky Dog Guitars did your handle used to be HillbillySims? I think I remember your review of the Quilter. How do you think it compares?

Very interesting - glad to hear. Hearing a lot of good things on the all analog Vox AV line which is a bit more costly, and wondered how these stacked up. Sounds like it would be a good consideration if looking at a the Fender Mustang range.
@Lucky Dog Guitars did your handle used to be HillbillySims? I think I remember your review of the Quilter. How do you think it compares?

Yes sir.. I used to be HillbillySims I changed my user ID to LuckyDogGuitars once I started that company and it became established. I figured it made more sense

Oh.. and related to the quilter... they are different beasts. I would have really loved the quilter aviator more if it had full EQ options on the clean channel (treble, mid, bass knobs). I always felt the clean channel was too treble'y. But I love those guys at Quilter, they treated me good & answered all questions. Overall, I like the Vox better. But I am highly considering a Quilter Micropro Mach-II 12" combo

Guitardave

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting review! I gigged a Shiva for several years so that is high praise. I've got a Helix as my pedalboard replacement and it's phenomenal in conjunction with my amps. That said, I still like the convenience of having an uber simple 5 button footswitch and amp that I can setup in a few seconds (especially on sit-in/guest gigs or when I bring the PA).

I'm always tempted by solid-state and modeler amps but end up having trouble at actual gig volumes with the harsh/brittle high-end as compared to my tube amps. I tried the older Voxes, used a CyberTwin for awhile, tried the Mustang but it suffered from that same issue. The old Yamaha G100, Peavey Bandits and Quilters all sound a bit better but need a pedalboard.

jdalf

Thanks for the review, there hasn't been a whole lot of talk about these amps around here. Btw, you are building some killer looking and sounding guitars! My youngest son lives in Dayton, nice part of the world up your way, Lucky Dawg.

tomsy49

@Lucky Dog Guitars I have been dwelling big time on what to get for an amp and i think you sold me big time! I was tossing the idea of a floorboard around but i decided an actual amp for at home practice would be much better! Thank you so much for the review!

GrantRowlands

@ Lucky Dog Guitars I enjoyed your review. Very comprehensive. I don't do gigs. I only play at home now. I'm looking at various small amps just to use in my living room. I've got a Mustang 1 which I'm using - which sounds pretty good to me with the clean amp settings, and it seems to have pretty reasonable reverb and delay - which is mainly what I use. The hi gain side of things doesn't interest me anymore.
I've been reading a bit about the VT40X, and have watched a few Youtube video's. It's hard to get a really good idea of sound quality from those video's usually - even wearing headphones.
My criteria is to get very realistic clean tones, with a reasonably good delay and reverb. Tone quality is important. I've owned and played many different tube and SS amps over the 50 + years I've been playing, and have a pretty good idea about the tone I like.
Have you played the little Mustang 1 ? If you have, how do you think it compares to the VT40X - assuming you or someone else here has played through both. Once again, I'm mainly interested in good clean sound. I don't need loud for where I'll be using it, but thought a 10" speaker may sound better in the low end than the 8" in the VT20X.
I would appreciate any input from you or any others regarding the Mustang 1 vs Vox VT40X. Thanks.

I have tried the Mustang amps, I thought the Vox sounded substantially better. I have not tried the smaller VT's nor the Blackstar ID series. I also have not tried running pedals into the amp to see how the front end handles pedals.

Still really like the amp!

Hello I am from Argentina. I have a Vox VT100x and wanted to sell it to buy an AV30 the idea is that I want it just to play at home.
Do you think the change is right or is it crazy going from a VT100X to an AV30?
Greetings.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom