Full sized head with a 1x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gallery, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Gallery

Gallery Supporting Member

A while ago I downsized from a 4x12 to a 1x12 because I didn't need a 4x12 and it was a PIA to transport. The 1x12 has been sufficient for my needs and my back is much happier.

However, the options for compact 25 inch heads are limited and I find that the amps I always want are only offered in 29 inch head boxes.

So my question is...

How silly does a 29 inch head look on a 25 inch cab and is anyone gigging with this type of rig?

2. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

It will definitely look kind of weird, but from a sound perspective that will have no impact. I'm a little vain and have never liked the head cabs to extend over the edge of the speaker cab, but really it's silly to be so anal retentive.

3. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

as long as the tone is there, no one will question it and you will look like a genius.

4. Faraldi

Faraldi Member

This is a pet peeve for me as well. I like what a single 12 has to offer so I'd probably build a cab that equals the width of the head. It would likely do wonders for the low end response as well.

5. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

My head was a bit longer than my last cab, but I just upped my game to a Mesa Widebody. My main concern wasn't the visual aspect, so much as it feels sturdier when the cab is notably bigger than the head.

6. cardinal

cardinal Member

I've run a similar set up and ended up setting the head either just on the floor next to the cab or on top of its road case (that was on the floor) next to the cab.

7. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Get an oversized cab- my bogner cube 1x12 may be the best sounding cab I've ever played.

8. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?

I have been gigging a Marshall head with a Marshall 1x12 1912 model cab.
    So the head sticks out on both sides of the cab.
    Don't be vain about how it looks. More importantly, does it sound good to you, and is your back happy?

You are going to be the only one in the room who is worried about how your amp head and cab look.

9. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Pretty silly. I wouldn't do it.

10. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

Aesthetics aside, I have a hard time playing a gig with a head and a single 1x12 anyway. It sits too low on the ground and is pointed at my ankles. I can't hear it. And putting a head on top of the cab means you can't really tilt the cab back.

For me it's always either a 1x12 combo on an amp stand or a 1x12 combo on top of an additional 1x12 cab. Sometimes I'll even stack two 1x12 cabs and put a 1x12 combo on top of that. And if I use a head, it'll be on top of a 4x10 or a stack of 1x12s.

I wouldn't even consider a full sized head on top of a single 1x12 cab.

11. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

Oh, come on, you must be kidding. :facepalm

So you are saying you will choose your amp based on its **width**?
    :jo

Reminds me of the old joke about the hillybilly who won the Lottery, bough an impressive mansion and phoned a bookshop ordering "34 feet of books to fill an empty library he found at the house".

If it's that important I suggest you shop around for a wider cab or have a custom built one ... which will have a little extra body as a bonus.

12. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Or just don't set the head on the cabinet so it won't look as funny.

13. Echoplexi

Echoplexi Silver Supporting Member

Put one speaker in a 2x12 cab. Makes it kind of like a detuned 1x12. Bigger lows, low weight, looks good with a full size head

14. 8len8

8len8 Member

I can live with a full head on a diagonal 2x12 (sticks out about 1 inch on each side), but on a 1x12 I'd think it wouldn't look that great...

15. slybird

slybird Member

It will only look silly if you don't sound good. If you sound like s*** it doesn't matter what amp or speaker you use, it will look silly.

16. Gallery

Well, no that's the whole point of this thread. :jo

I don't want to choose based on the width. I'm asking if anyone here uses a head wider than their cab in case I've missed a valid reason not to do this.

I'm currently using a Marshall 2204S (S = small head 1986 limited edition) small head box version of a 2204. It fits perfect on my 1x12. But I want buy a 2 channel head and there are very few that will fit on a 1x12.

So my options are

• Put it on the 1x12 and the rubber feet will hang over the side and I might run into vibration issues. Or add new/relocate the rubber feet.
    • Put it on the floor and now I'm bending over during a gig to adjust my sound. Not ideal.
    • Put it on an amp stand - probably the best option for me

I'm just looking for feedback from those who have experienced this and could provide other solutions. Is there something wrong with that???

17. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

I've gigged this rig quite a bit...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
    joemiracle220 likes this.
  18. J M Fahey

J M Fahey Member

I suggest you move the rubber feet closer so they do their thing on the smaller cab, will still work perfectly on a wider one.

You will still be able to place it on a stand or the floor if you wish so.

19. Gallery

Thanks!!! That doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would. Doesn't look bad at all.

20. trailrun100s

trailrun100s Member

Sure! It does the trick...I have bigger cabs up to a 4x12, but for small gigs and grab and go, it is awesome. And it sounds great as well.