Full Song Demo - Axe-FX II. STP "Interstate Love Song"

Scott Peterson

TGP Co-Founder and Administrator
Staff member
I've loved this song all these years, played it a thousand times at cover gigs and still love it. So I'd thought instead of more noodle clips, how about a real song.

I wasn't shooting for duplicating Dean's original tones on the recording; rather I used their song as a canvas to use my own.

Here's a shot at it with the Axe-FX II using a supplied backing track I downloaded as an MP3. It's a noisy MP3, but it is what it is. Here's the backing: http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/play/stone_temple_pilots/interstate_love_song_(2).htm

Here I did two takes, one the left my PRS Custom 22 using a Friedman BE, Cab (Factory RedWirez Basketweave G12M-20 and G12M-25 with a SM57 and R121 respectively) some reverb and some delay (about 3% wet each). The right is my PRS Custom 22 using a JCM800, goosed with some Tape Drive in front of the amp, Cab (Factory RedWirez Basketweave G12M-20 and G12M-25 with a SM57 and R121 respectively) some reverb and some delay (about 3% wet each).

The lead in solo is the JCM 800 with my Melancon Custom Artist.

Full Mix:

For *critical* listening, FLAC 16bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?5dknuo9aztm7rdh

For convenience: [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/spetersonmusic/05-2011-stp-full-mix[/SOUNDCLOUD]

Just My Guitars:

For *critical* listening, FLAC 16bit: http://www.mediafire.com/?5bbjnrlkuwsr0oj

For convenience: [SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/spetersonmusic/05-2011-stp-gtr-only[/SOUNDCLOUD]

fr8_trane

Sounds good. Thanks for the backing track too.

I know you weren't going for faithful reproduction but its seems doable. Just sub a bogner for the Demeter and a Cranked AC-30 on the other side for the jangle.

[edit] Hmmm... I just read this.

About the recording sessions for "Purple", Dean says: "I used a lot of little amps. I only used my big Marshalls for two songs. On nearly every song there's a little '50s Supro amp with a 10" speaker. It only goes about as loud as we're talking right now, so you can totally wind it out. It has a volume knob and a tone knob. You put them both up to ten. We'd just wind out some Teles through that. Core was mainly Teles and Les Pauls, and this one was done primarily with a great '58 Les Paul Special - one of those magical guitars - and a '67 Tele. Almost every song has two guitars on it. We layered tracks, not to get a huge guitar sound, but to get a interesting tones and introduce different tones in different parts of the songs. Between my gear and Brendan's, we had around 40 guitars and 30 different amps. We tried a lot of pretty nutty combinations. "Interstate Love Song" is the Supro with two different Teles.

Sounds like BS to me but who knows. I can hear the tele jangle but i can't believe that massive wall of distortion is a pair of supros. Shades of Billy Gibbons white lies I think[/edit]

Scott Peterson

Staff member
Sounds good. Thanks for the backing track too.

I know you weren't going for faithful reproduction but its seems doable. Just sub a bogner for the Demeter and a Cranked AC-30 on the other side for the jangle.
It'd be doable, but really seems wasted effort at least for my purposes. Not my game. I played in a band in the 90's with a guitarist that used the Demeter TGA preamp with a Rivera Hammer 120 tube power amp. Didn't sound like a Bogner to me; but it was a massively *glorious* sound nonetheless.

fr8_trane

Right on. Its an excercise... potentially in futility, but something i like to try from time to time. Like the unreal heartbreaker soundclip that was posted.

The demeter is weird because I have no reference for what its based on or sounds like. For some reason I always think of it as a modded marshall.

Whatever, doesn't really matter. Your clip sounds good the way it is.

AdamCook

I use a PRS Custom 22 as my "number one" at every gig and the JCM 800 is my main amp on most of my Axe-FX patches. So I know this sound well. It doth rock.

Also, I like it when people post actual song clips of their own great tones instead of trying to precisely match the tone of the original recording. It's much more interesting.

Thanks for sharing!

thirsty one

Silver Supporting Member
I love that song. It really is a heavy guitar tone I love. You nailed the song with your own heavy tone that works.

It sounds great.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah I think you did a great job Scott. Man the tones really sound great. You sing a lot like Weiland too LOL

Seriously though, Ive not studied the song in some time but are you playing the lick right? The main lick. E sus on the end no?

Forgive me as Ive been using transcribe for a few days straight now for thing where "note for note" is topic of the day.

Hey maybe Ive been playing it wrong since it first hit radio LOL

Great, Ive edited this like 5 times as I contemplate the lick and whether "I'M" playing it wrong. YT it is I guess.

Last edited:

Scott Peterson

Staff member
Yeah I think you did a great job Scott. Man the tones really sound great. You sing a lot like Weiland too LOL

Seriously though, Ive not studied the song in some time but are you playing the lick right? The main lick. E sus on the end no?

Forgive me as Ive been using transcribe for a few days straight now for thing where "note for note" is topic of the day.

Hey maybe Ive been playing it wrong since it first hit radio LOL

Great, Ive edited this like 5 times as I contemplate the lick and whether "I'M" playing it wrong. YT it is I guess.
Dunno, that's how I've played it forever, just an Emaj. Never bothered looking at a tab or anything; that's how I learned it by ear.

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
Dunno, that's how I've played it forever, just an Emaj. Never bothered looking at a tab or anything; that's how I learned it by ear.
Me too, by ear. I hear a sus with the G# to A on the G string and then an open B string and then open high E string. 4 notes before the E to F#- chords would be G# - A - B - E in a 16th note pattern. We've all done this type of sus roll thingy.

Ahhh who cares. The tone is money and you play it well sir!

Scott Peterson

Staff member
Me too, by ear. I hear a sus with the G# to A on the G string and then an open B string and then open high E string. 4 notes before the E to F#- chords would be G# - A - B - E in a 16th note pattern. We've all done this type of sus roll thingy.

Ahhh who cares. The tone is money and you play it well sir!
I'll have to try that - who knows, I could have played it wrong all these years. How funny would that be? :D

Hey, it's close enough for rock n' roll, no? :D

Dickie Fredericks

Gold Supporting Member
I'll have to try that - who knows, I could have played it wrong all these years. How funny would that be? :D

Hey, it's close enough for rock n' roll, no? :D
You know it baby!

I did just check a few tabs against my version and I dont see the lick tabbed anywhere. hehe That just means everyone plays it wrong.

Trending Topics