Fulldrive 2 Comp Cut Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hard2Hear, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

I've found that the Comp-Cut mode of my FD2 with the boost on has THE tone for me. Thru my /13 its the tone I've always wanted. I really don't use the other 2 modes of the FD2 at all because I dont really like the distortion sound. Now I see people saying the FD2 is a Tubescreamer, but I think the Comp-Cut must be something totally different. Can someone explain what this side of the pedal is doing? Or even maybe have a diagram of the comp-cut mode?

H2H

2. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

The Fulldrive II is based upon the Tubescreamer circuit. It's a popular and good-sounding variation on that theme.

The Comp-cut feature is quite simple: it removed the clipping diodes from the circuit.

3. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

How does it make it so much louder than the other settings?

oh, and thanks for your reply :)

4. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

Diodes restrict the flow through a circuit... kinda like a uni-directional resistor. Now considering some clipping sections of TS808 clone have as many as 3 diodes, lifting those diodes out will increase the flow through the circuit and hence create a boost in volume.

I think that is the reason... probably want someone to verify.

Pretty persistent in your quest to build a FullDrive, eh? Good luck and have fun... I believe you also have an answer over at the BYOC forum!

5. lukeness

lukeness Member

I only use the comp setting too. Love it.

6. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

haha, yeah. I want to do a sorta frankenstein project. I guess I have too much time on my hands.

7. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

It's never a waste of time to create something and learn new things. I'd rather be in the garage building pedals than watching TV or playing video games.

8. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

FDII in comp cut into a maxed out FatBoost running at under 9v makes a pretty good imitation of a Boogie Mark IV's Lead channel (for a while, the FDII-FB1 was my backup in case my Boogie broke down).

Brett

9. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

Does that mean that the comp-cut mode is only a "Boost" mode, not an "OD mode ??? no clipping at all ?

10. WailinGuy

WailinGuy Member

No. Other parts of the circuit can will clip with enough signal being pushed through. In fact, you can get a cool medium-gain overdrive tone by maxing out the gain knob and selecting the "Boost" mode (footswitch). The tone is not super-saturated, but is very "old-school" rock, with better picking dynamics than when not using "comp-cut". Some guys use the FDII only in this manner. (You do need to finesse the output volume knob however; it's holding back an extremely hot signal. Iif you bump it up even just a little, your guitar will sound louder than heck.)

11. Greggy

Greggy Member

The Antipodes To All That is Sacred and Pure
    Yeah, be careful with comp cut, I almost blew out my eardrums the first time I tried it. Without the compression, you can get a huge volume boost.

12. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

i just bought a FDII mosfet, and that's exactly how i use it, except i implement a Timmy for a crisper sound...I use the Comp Cut for low gain, then add the Timmy with gain at 1030 for mid gain OD, then hit the boost for High Gain!

i win:) lol