Fulldrive 2 Mosfet problem?????

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by brianf, Feb 6, 2008.

1. brianf

brianf Member

I have not used this pedal in months as I have picked up others that suit me more including the GT500.

For the life of me I cannot hear any real difference when I kick on the boost.

I have the amp set clean. I have experimented with FM and Vintage with the O/D set to about 9:00. The boost is Mosfet or Std with the boost knob to 4:00.

I only notice a slight difference.

I am certain the boost was more noticable before. Are the ones you folks are useing this subtle???

Thanks. Just wanted some opinions before I call Fulltone.

brianf

2. somedude

somedude Member

On mine there's a significant difference.

Don't know if this'll help... but when's the last time you changed your battery?

3. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah Member

If the amp is compressing even just a little you won't hear much difference. turn it way down low and give it a listen, if still nothing you've probably got a bad pot or switch.

4. brianf

brianf Member

No, I was plugged in. Same issue at 9 or 18 volts.

brianf

5. brianf

brianf Member

I notice a little extra sustain but no real boost unless I have the O/D around 9:00 and the boost jacked all the way. Even then it is just subtle. The dealer I bought it from is lending me 2 more tomorrow so I can experiment at home with my amps and set up. He told me it is not as noticable as a GT500 as and example.

brianf

6. somedude

somedude Member

FWIW.... I notice a small difference if both gain knobs are at 9:00, but there is a difference. Between 9:00 on the gain and 5:00 on the boost it's pretty substantial in terms of compression/saturation/mud.

7. selahvie

selahvie Member

I used to have one, and the boost is really more of a boost in gain than a boost in volume, so there should be a difference, but not a big volume boost as you might expect.

8. brianf

brianf Member

Here is an e mail I just got back from Fulltone. Confirms what posters above said.

"The boost function is a gain boost, not a volume boost. Please set the tone between 3 and 5 o'clock, overdrive at 12 o'clock and boost at 5 o'clock in FM mode, strike strings and then turn the boost on and off (the difference is subtle). Let us know if you hear any difference in sound/tone. If you do, the pedal is working properly. It is normal that you don't hear difference between normal and boost in Vintage mode".

Thanks,

9. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

That's why I stack a booster before the FD2M. I wish he made a FD in a smaller pedal without the boost.

10. Uniphasian

Uniphasian Member

If you use a compression pedal, that may be taking away what the Boost added.

Take the compression pedal out of the chain and try again.

11. FLYING V 83

FLYING V 83 Pedal Trading Guru Silver Supporting Member

Try it in Comp Cut mode, but be careful!
    Put the boost knob about 1/4 and you'll probably have enough.
    I thought the same when I had mine, FM & Vintage don't have much difference, but Comp Cut is where the boost wallops you.
    I had it 3/4 over and almost blew my ears out!

12. brianf

brianf Member

OK. Let me fool around on that setting. Thanks

brianf

13. klaetos

klaetos Member

I use mine in comp-cut. From the instructions that came with it say this:

FWIW when I used the boost as part of the other Modes I always had the boost set between 3:00 and all the way on. A small change in volume but mostly just the saturation.