Fulldrive 2 or Silverkiss?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KCWM, Jan 24, 2008.

1. KCWM

KCWM Member

I'm looking for a OD/distortion pedal to go along with my Box of Rock and do the things that it can't...especially more gain. The BoR doesn't quite get enough gain when I play with my strat, which might have more to do with the pickups than the pedal.

I think I've settled on a Fulldrive 2 or a Silverkiss. They both fall into the same price range when bought used here on the emporium. I'm looking at the Mosfet version of the FD2.

The Box of Rock has a definitely distinct flavor and I need something to compliment it. Which one would you suggest, and why?

I'm using a gear in my signature.

2. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

Both are great. I think they'd both compliment the BOR well, as well.
    The SK, IMO, has more flexibility. It can sound like a TS, or an 18 watter, hell you can even get some Voxy vibe from it.
    The FD is gonna be more a TS flavor. BUT, you've got the boost, which, again IMO, gives it more gain than the SK.
    Buy the first one you find at a good price in the Emporium and try it out! :)

3. mds

mds Member

To me the FD is still one of the greatest ODs out there. To this day the only dirt pedal that I don't think about selling...

4. ford

ford Member

I don't think either of those pedals has a lot of gain. I haven't played the Box of Rock to compare. I have owned both of the others. I love the Silver Kiss! It is my personal favorite OD.

rock

bford

5. RickB

RickB Member

FD-2 hands down IMO. With the Mosfet switch, you get a whole new set of sounds out of the FM (flat mids to get rid of the TS mid bump) and Vintage modes. Goes beyond your typical TS type pedal. Comp-Cut mode (Mosfet switch does not affect this mode) gives you an incredible clean boost and then the boost switch will put it over the top with a decent amount of dirt when you want it. So all in all, 3 different modes, 2 of which have the Mosfet variation to them plus a boost that works on all three. That's a lot more versatile than your other consideration. I have owned both and the FD-2 Mosfet is the one I miss and will pick up again.

6. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Fulldrive 2 is very versatile, you have compcut ( like a twin clean boost), Flat mids( which is just that and is not as TS flavored), and vintage( like a TS9 but with more bottom, gain, and clarity), Plus MOSFET ( more open), and standard(stock), plus a gain-boost button!
    I like the extra versatility of the FD2, it is a classic, a very usefull tone shaping tool which fits about any style of music.

edit to add, must have been typing while Rick was! :^)

7. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I don't get the Fulldrive hype. I've tried a ton of pedals and the newest FDII Mosfet was one of my biggest dissapointments. I live the older FDII better. That said, I'de take a Barber Direct Drive, BUEQ, or Small Fry over the FDII any day.

The Silver Kiss MkII is one pedal I've been waiting to get my hands on though.

What about an OCDv3? or Emma Rat%*&%*?

8. KCWM

KCWM Member

Can't you turn the mosfet off on the newer versions though?

I thought the OCD was in the same ballpark as the Box of Rock, but I could be wrong about that.

I actually like the bass hump in the BoR, especially for rhythm type stuff. But, the bass hump is hard to overcome when the gain is maxed. So I'm looking for something to do a little more.

I'm actually curious if the Silver Kiss/Fulldrive 2 and BoR would stack well.

I now understand the GAS of gear

9. RickB

RickB Member

The Mosfet is a switch.

10. SouthernShred

SouthernShred Member

I would stack the BoR and Fulldrive 2. I like all the versions of the FD2 for what it's worth. The FD2 and the OCD stack very well together as well. I've tried all of these combinations and the FD2/BOR or FD2/OCD gets my vote. I like the BOR better with my amp (66 BFSR) than the OCD.

No offense intented to Dave Barber as I have a lot of his products and love them, but the Direct Drive is a lot noisier at loud gig volume than the FD2. I may have gotten a noisy one, but it's one of two pedals I've ever sold due to background hiss.

11. TimH

TimH Member

FD2....with so many choices out there it's amazing the FD2 still gets as many nods as it does...it will be a classic no doubt.

12. RickB

RickB Member

+1. The FD-2 set to comp-cut has a way of boosting another od after it in a way that not many other pedals can.

13. gitpicker

gitpicker Member

I would go with the SK - both pedal have similar amounts of gain (although the FD2 with boost on has a bit more), but the EQ on the SK sets it above the FD2 IMO. I have had a few of each of these pedals and, to my ears, the SK sounds much better. Plus the SK has a smaller footprint and cool graphics!

14. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

As someone else said before. "the fulldrive is the definition of meh in the boutique world."

15. KCWM

KCWM Member

So, from what I gather, the SK offers more control over the tone, but the FD2 has a good amount of flexability of its own due to the different modes.

The FD2 has a little more gain on tap, but has a larger footprint than the SK? The SK does have a cool graphic, but it's just something that can show wear faster and lower the resale value of the pedal.

I guess I will be listening to clips when I get home from work.

There is a SK up on the emporium right now...something about proto 11...but I'm not sure what that means.

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

There's an original and MkII version. The first is supposedly brighter; too bright?? Hence the MkII.

17. erksin

erksin Member

Its probably one of the Cabaretlinda models before the Mk 2 which is the current version - those protos and Mk 1s some people find to have a lot of high end with certain rigs, others don't.

The only thing I'd offer is that the SK can do a decent TS sound (not sure how much overlap it would have in regards to the FD2), but it can also get kinda Voxy too which I'm not sure the FD2 can...

18. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

That #11 in the Emporium has been updated to MkII specs by Nic.

19. KCWM

KCWM Member

I listened to clips of both on youtube and neither of them seem to be what I'm looking for. The SK is definitely unique, but too trebly. In the clips (from different posters), it sounded like the signal just had a bunch of distortion behind it instead of all around it, if that makes sense.

The fulldrive 2 sounds like a cool overdrive, but I have one in the box of rock I like more.

I want a distortion, not another OD.

Back to the drawing board.

20. Last Nerve

Last Nerve Member

If you've got the Box of Rock, might as well get the Box of METAL!!!! :D