fulldrive comp-cut mode in smaller foot print

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by it's been said, May 25, 2008.

1. it's been said

it's been said Member

So one of the most frequent complaints i hear about the Fulldrive 2 Mosfet is that people only like the comp-cut mode. What would get me a sound similar to that mode but with a smaller footprint?

2. Matybigfro

Matybigfro Member

DIY TS808 either from BYOC or GGG
    then mod it

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Footprint not much smaller but an Austin Gold sounds very similar for way cheaper. I'd be interested to know what other pedals sound similar since I mostly use the comp-cut mode myself.

4. it's been said

it's been said Member

I'm surprised theres not more responses...

5. allmonochrome

allmonochrome Member

matybigfro is right-on with his answer. the full-drive 2 in comp-cut mode is just a ts808 with the clipping diodes bypassed, a mod which can be done to a number of ts808-based pedals.

6. vegetablejoe

vegetablejoe Member

But why buy an expensive 808, only to mod it and take away it's characteristic mid-hump?

For a comp-cut mode, my vote would be for a Boss OD-3, preferably with the D6&D7 diodes disengaged. It is at least perceived as not having a mid-hump, and thus closer sounding to what you want to emulate to start with... imho

7. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

Although I like TS-style OD's, bypassing the diodes doesn't seem to take away the mid-hump, IMO (I had a FD Mosfet).

8. chervokas

chervokas Member

Actaully, I almost never use it in comp cut mode. To me comp cut mode is basically like a clean boost. Works well into small amps already on the verge of break up and it can work as a clean boost for soloing, but I think using it as a clean boost is a waste of an FD2 which does a lot of other traditional OD things well including, in its latest version, two clipping options.

9. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

IMHO every mode of the FullDrive2 sounds excellent, and this versatility along with great tone keeps the FullDrive on my pedalboard.;)
    As far as "compcut" type sound in a smaller package goes, try an Xotic R/C Booster.

10. Brian Lusky

Brian Lusky Member

Yeah, comp cut mode is the least useful in my opinion. I love the other two settings though. YMMV

11. rochell59

rochell59 Supporting Member

I think the Phantom is pretty close to that sound. I've owned it, an I've played a non MOSFET fulldrive with the comp cut switch.

12. cwcashiniv

cwcashiniv Member

Your only pedal needed (with clipping stages, like FD2 that gets you Compcut, Vintage (mid-hump, Flat mids): CMATMODS Signa Drive. GLORIOUS sound and smaller footprint with tons of headroom. Check youtube for the vids. Amazing.

13. abnerfm

abnerfm Member

I replaced my TS-808 with a FD Mosfet; the FD Mosfet has more clarity and headroom, but it has a false attack. So, I replaced the FD with a Maxon OD-820. It has a sweet voice, very similar to the TS-808, but with the clarity and headroom of the FD running at 18V. But, I still think the mid-hump is too strong... maybe a Barber half Gainer does the job?