Fulldrive II With Better Note Clarity

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by impactblue, Aug 21, 2008.

1. impactblue

impactblue Member

Can Anyone recommend an overdrive pedal with better note clarity and transparency than the Fulldrive II? I enjoy the fulldrives range of gain and its tonal options but i feel its too mushy!

Help!

2. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I recommend trying the Barber Burn Unit. I recently scored an older unit (ie, yellow writting on top instead of red) and the note clarity is exactly what has caught my attention with this unit. I had listed it for sale, then pulled it because it's just to incredible of a two channel OD. With the flip of the pickup selector switch, each pickup position just comes through with amazement to me. Each note is crystal clear and somehow surrounded with Barber Goodness. It's made me a definate Barber Fan.

vtg

3. vintage66

vintage66 Member

First, which mode do you like? I really only like the comp-cut mode, so there's no mushiness there. The other two, I know what you mean. The Menatone Blue Collar is very clear sounding and can do a similar vibe. Any good tube screamer does it better imo-I have a Maxon Od808 if you want a little warmth but not mud, or the Od9, which is a little brighter sounding, or a Keeley modded tube screamer. Gearmanndude, aka Jack Black, has a new vid on youtube that has a Keeley Ts9 and Ts808, an Analogman Ts9, and a stock Maxon Od9. The Analogman has the silver mod and sounds warmest. I think I liked the Keeleys best, then the stock Maxon, just from the vid. I've tried all in person except the Analogman, so I reserve judgement on that one, but loved the other three.

4. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Ooh, forgot the Keeley Ts9dx turbo tube screamer with 4x2 mod. Pretty pricey but lots of tonal options. Still no boost though. I liked that one a lot also.

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

Put a TIM after it, problem solved.

6. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

7. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    +1000

8. impactblue

impactblue Member

Thanks for the great suggestions guys! I like both the FM and Vintage settings, but prefer the FM if only it wasnt so mushy sounding. The vintage is also cool sounding.

How does putting a TIM after it change it??

9. impactblue

impactblue Member

10. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I use the TIM as a tone shaper. The TIM has the ability to giv ethe notes clarity and separation, hard to describe but very audible. I usually always leave the TIM on as it helps to give a little chime and sparkle when I roll down the guitar volume.

Where this helps the Fulldrive is this added sparkle and clarity seems to wake the Fulldrive up a bit. I tried the pedal order both ways and prefer any booster pedals after the Fulldrive. Before I used teh TIM I owned an RC Booster which was also very good, I just feel the TIM is better and has more range.

11. Blueser

Blueser Member

Yes.....A TIM for sure!

12. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

Which Fulldrive do you have? The current blue Mosfet Fulldrive is much clearer than any that came before. I couldn't even use the older versions with a humbucker guitar bacause of the mud factor, but I have the latest one and it's good with all my guitars.

13. Jay Douglas

Jay Douglas Member

Yes, a Fulldrive2 on 18 volts, ala David Grissom.

14. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

Yes, this will work perfectly. If you already like the FD2, there's no need to buy another pedal to achieve better clarity. I have the mosfet FD2 and I experimented with different voltages with my Pedal Power 2, and the mushiness you mention will vanish even at 12 volts. I actually found 18v to be a little too clear/stiff for my purposes, but I love it at 12v.

15. POD Buster

POD Buster Member

I usually keep the tone knob on my FD2 dimed.

16. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hey guys! What I want to achieve is to be able to use FM mode to get a clear transparent overdrive which maintains the tone of my clean sound. Right now when I set the tone to a neutral setting it sounds muffled/blanketed. Its not until i raise the tone a bit more than I hear some clarity but it changes the tone.

So where can I gte a 12v or 18 v adapter? I also heard the crunchbox supports 18v as well??

17. El Gallo Negro

El Gallo Negro Member

18. impactblue

impactblue Member

Hmmm...should I just get a DC Brick or a Gator Gbus8? I'm currently using a wall wart with a daisy chain....?

19. gitfiddler

gitfiddler Member

I say the Barber Tone Pump. This pedal is a real sleeper pedal. Not many peeps here on the Gear Page talk about it. Its a very Transparent , natural sounding overdrive. The note clarity in Barbers pedals are unreal! VintageToneGuy said the Burn Unit, I agree with him, great pedal. Burn unit or Tone Pump from Barber is a great choice!

20. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

Paul Cochrane's TIM pedal