Fulldrive or OCD

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jrm, Jan 25, 2006.

1. jrm

jrm Member

Hey friends:
    I'm still on a qwest for a killer OD. I've heard so much good stuff about the Tim/Timmy, but I am leery to shell out the cash for something that I can't play first. I also don't have the luxury of waiting a few months to get one. I could buy used, but the markup for used is pretty extreme! This is all a bummer because I would love to throw Paul Cochrane some cash.. I digress.

So, I've heard great things about the Fulldrive and the OCD and I'm wondering which would be recomended for mysetup. I play a Les Paul with a 59/jb setup into a mesa rectoverb combo. I favor nice classic rock tones... nothing to grainy, but a nice smooth tight distortion. Rarely do I really flex the ability of the recto and just go all out high gain. I'm sure a Timmy would work great (though I have heard a comment about graininess here and there), but what about Fulltone stuff?

-jrm

2. el34power

el34power Member

I really like my Keeley BD-2. Gives a nice push, adds a little thump.

3. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

I like the Fulldrive into a clean amp. Into an amp that has some dirt the OCD seems to be the pedal of choice among Fulltone stuff.

4. cameron

cameron Member

I'd say you have that exactly backwards.

5. teddy boy

teddy boy Member

Hey jrm,

I can only comment on the OCD. I use one with a stock 2003 Les Paul Standard into a clean vox-voiced class A 15W amp. It is excellent for classic rock tones and goes further. Nice singing tones on the front pickup with the LP-mode, AC/DC and Zep with HP-mode.

6. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Hmm, my personal experience was as I stated. I love the Fulldrive into a clean amp and only like the OCD into a slightly dirty amp. Sorry...;)

7. MarkWorth

MarkWorth Member

yeah, i'll go with mostly backwards...no offense bud:)

FD i don't like at all, but it's better for either slight slight sweetening grit, or to push an already drived amp into crazy-town....but i still ond't like it...

now, i need an OCD, so idunno bout that...

-j

8. onemind

onemind Member

Weird how different people perceive different effects! I prefer the FDII (Mosfet) for pushing an amp and for Medium gain tones, and the OCD for heavier tones, They are far from interchangeable....I think they compliment each other nicely

9. cameron

cameron Member

Yeah, the OCD has much more gain on tap, which is exactly why it works best in front of a clean amp, as the sole source of distortion. And, as you say, the FDII is good at pushing an amp, thus if the amp is already breaking up, the FDII can make it really sing.

We're perceiving the same effects you are, you just have strange ideas of how to apply them.

Ultimately the FDII is a tube screamer type pedal. And the OCD is an amp-in-a-box kind of pedal.

10. onemind

onemind Member

Well said Cameron

11. ahab

ahab Member

I tried a friend's OCD through my Top Hat and it is an amazing overdrive pedal. I MUST GET ONE SOON!!!!
    -Ahab

12. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

None taken!

13. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

And my Fulldrive ('97) sounds amazing into my Top Hat!! Go figure...:)

14. Enjoyer

Enjoyer Member

+1 on what cameron said.
    My experience with the OCD into a clean amp is exactly the same as cameron's.
    I am well pleased with the OCD. Ditto this comment, "And the OCD is an amp-in-a-box kind of pedal."

That being said, what I have read on these pages make me really curious about the BJF products. I have no experience with them.
    Quite a palette there, I am led to believe.

15. Wooley

Wooley Member

Yeah, all very interesting, I use my OCD with the drive ALL THE WAY DOWN and I absolutely love it. I know it has a lot more gain on tap than a lot of other ampy-sounding pedals, but what I think it does best is make your amp sound tubier. Yes, TUBIER. But I run it very low to no gain into a clean amp, and my friends are all lining up to buy one.

16. bigroy

bigroy Member

I've owned both, and I prefer the OCD into my Top Hat Club deluxe. I use it with an RC Booster, which took the place of the FD. I think we all use pedals in a slightly different way, so you really need to try them out for yourself.

That being said, I think the Zendrive I have on order is going to have to really bowl me over to take the place of the OCD. And maybe I'll use them both. You can't really have too many pedals:BEER

17. fjs1962

fjs1962 Silver Supporting Member

I'd say OCD for your setup. Mesa amps tent to be mid-heavy, and the Fulldrive adds mids (why it sounds so good with blackface Fenders). The OCD is flatter in the mids, almost to the point of being scooped sounding, so I think it would be a better fit with a Les Paul into a Mesa.

18. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Member

I love my FullDrive into my Carmen Ghia!

19. countandduke

countandduke Member

I have always heard great things about the Xotic stuff. I loved my AC booster and the BB booster looks cool....

I heard some clips of an M Audio pedal by Brett Garsed and they were scary but maybe it was the player???

20. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

For the classic rock thing, the OCD wins hands down to me. With the OCD in the HP mode, you get a really nice Marshall crunch that has good clarity up until about 3-4 o'clock on the gain dial. At that point, you have a a good deal of gain going on.
    In the LP mode, I find my Keeley BD-2 actually has a much wider frequency range and sounds more like a overdriven Fender tube amp. I use both. I leave the OCD on the HP mode at about 2 o'clock and the BD-2 for just about everything requiring med OD (85% of our set list). I like the OCD, but it just doesn't outperform the Keeley BD-2 on the lower gain settings, no matter how many times I a/b them. That said, nothing I have outperforms the OCD for the Marshall 18 watt tone.