1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Fullton '69 Slight Return

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thesjkexperienc, May 18, 2011.

1. thesjkexperienc

thesjkexperienc ^^^ I made this guitar^^^ Supporting Member

Has anyone compared the gain of the 69SR to the Sunface NKT275 or High Gain NKT275?

I have a 69 MKII on order which is supposed to have the same transistors as the SR, but I have never played a 69, or 69 SR, to really feel the gain of the pedal. I have had a HIgh Gain Sunface for years and greatly preferred it to the regular white dot.

2. jb1911

jb1911 Member

The SR that I had was much higher gain than any NKT Sunface I ever owned. The Sunface is not really high gain at all.

3. thesjkexperienc

Gain is good! I really like the new Fulltone '70 BC108c for that reason. It can get a bit bright, but if you sag it to around 8 Volts is sounds great and plays well with buffers.

4. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

My '69 SR has much more gain on tap than my Analogman High Gain NKT275

5. timsmcm

timsmcm Member

Is that in a good way or a bad way?

6. roquero

roquero Supporting Member

For me that's great, as I use the '69 SR to play crunchy power chords [with the guitar volume backed down to about 7 or 8] and with the guitar volume on full I get blazing leads.

The NKT 275 High Gain cleans up better but my music is not exactly mellow

YMMV [Your Music May Vary]

7. thesjkexperienc

Great! I am even more excited about the MKII now!

8. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Well those who appreciated the gesture and got to own one of these are quite happy. As for comparison, compared to a nkt to me it seems like its higher gain and mine cleans up better. The sunface while cool is just a much tamer pedal imo. The SR is very musical.

9. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

That's quite impressive.

10. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

It is, keep in mind though that I have a real love and bond with my SR so I have a preference. The NKT I do like but I just really bond with the SR.

11. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

I'll keep that in mind.

12. thesjkexperienc

13. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

I can only imagine the '69 being more versatile than the Sunface.

If you think about it, the '69 actually has 3 different trimmers to dial in your desired Fuzz tone (External Bias, Internal Bias, and Countour). You can pretty much get any Fuzz Face tone you want out of it. As for the gain, I heard it has more gain than any Sunface. I used to have a Sunface and it was just waay too clean for a Fuzz. Had no meat to it.

On the other hand, I have a Germanium OXFUZZ that blows every Germ Fuzz Face clone out of the water. This is what you should be checking into.

14. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

I have a 69 SR and 2 White Dot regular Sunfaces and probably will continue that way because it's too hard to part with them.

They are different but can cover similar ground. I can't say one is better than the other but yes the 69 SR may be more versatile with the Contour knob, although the Sunface NKT with one less knob is very close in that department.
    My Sunface might be a bit warmer and the 69 SR a bit more muscular.

It seems like I could get more overdrive characteristics out of the 69 SR than the Sunface. The Sunface seems to me to be more of an authentic Fuzz Face clone based on all the ones I've owned.
    The 69 SR might have a little more gain and the gain of the Sunface seems to be a little more fuzzy...

Last edited: May 24, 2011