Fulltone 10th Anniversary Fulldrive II question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jkaffenb, Jan 8, 2006.

1. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

Hi,

I just purchased a 10th Anniversary Fulltone Fulldrive II and cannot hear any difference at all between the Standard and Mosfet mode. I'm wondering if there is somthing wrong with mine. I have tried 2 Fender guitars and a Les Paul and all settings between clean and fully driven and no difference at all. I have the amp set clean so everything is coming from the pedal. All other switches work and provide a noticeable difference, so it isn't the batteries or anything like that.

Can someone who has one, please let me know how much difference they hear in theirs between these 2 settings? I opened the back and noticed that the grey goo that they put over the parts right under the toggle dripped when drying and might be keeping a part from moving. I'm not sure of this, but I would really appreciate it if someone would answer in on this.

Thanks in advance,
    John

2. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am glad I am not the only one. Here is a trick, take the toggle and put it halfway, see if any the sound changes. The one I got from music toyz was broke, with what sounds like the same problem as yours. Have fun sending it back if you got it from musictoyz, maybe Teddy will share some of his grand sense of humor with you.

3. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

I purchased it from Black Creek Guitars over the internet. They seemed really nice and I wouldn't expect any problems, but I'm worndering if they would have me send it to Fulltone instead. I'll give the half way toggle setting a try and see if anything changes.

Thanks,
    John

4. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

I am sure fuller could replace the switch. Funny, cause since it is all gooped with that liquid nails crap or whatever they use they will have to replace the switch, and whatever components are on it too. Unless they know of a way to get that junk off (i imagine it would be pretty darn tough though)

5. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

I tried the switch in the middle position and still couldn't notice any difference and in same cases, it made it sound like the pedal was completely turned off. Do you have any more ideas?

How much difference in sound should the 2 settings have? Is it a major difference or barely noticeable one? Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    John

6. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Oh, well in my case I think that the switching was messed up, in your case I would just contact the distributor you bought it from and send the pedal back. They may have a replacement they could send you. The pedal should make a definate change in your tone more like the zendrive clips.

7. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

I have an e-mail in to the Fulltone Tech questions area and I'm hoping that they tell me to send them the pedal to check out. I hate to pay shipping to send it to the place I bought it which is on the East Coast and wait days for it to arrive there and then wait days for them to ship it to the West coast and finally have it checked out.

If you know there should be a big differerence or at least noticeably obvious, then I will send it to them directly.

I really appreciate your help and was surprised not to hear from anyone else about their pedal either doing the same or no problems at all.

Thanks,
    JOhn

8. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

Ya that suprises me that no one is responding.. sometimes it takes a while. Or they may think I am doing sufficient. But there is supposed to be a change in tone. PS... Dont let fuller or any of his workers tell you different. Hopefully you wont have any problems (and I havent personally), but then again, there are many that have.

9. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

Thanks!

I have never had anything but great experience with Fulltone. I started purchasing Fulltone stuff direct from him in around 1997 and I can remember they even sent me a free t-shirt and Mike Fuller sent me a CD one year.

I'm just excited to hear the pedal with both options and am hoping to hear from them soon so I can send it back for a check out. I have only had it a few days and bought it new from an authorized dealer and at first I just thought that must be the way they all are, but I hate to leave it like it is and never even know if I am hearing it in Standard mode or Mosfet mode.

Thanks,
    John

10. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have one. To my ears, the differences are subtle, but noticeable enough that you should be able to hear them. Both the Mosfet modes are a little more open and transparent than the standard Tubescreamer modes, with the Mosfet Vintage mode being slightly thicker, and creamier, with the "hair" around the note thing happening, (Mike's version of the Dumble tonality) and the Mosfet FM mode being a little punchier, tighter, and more "Texas" blues orientated. The "standard" (TS) modes sound like a Fulldrive has always sounded (more or less) with the Vintage mode being the more mid heavy of the two. The standard modes seem a little more compressed as well.
    I have also found (especially with this pedal) that the amp makes quite a big difference in how the different modes react and sound. With my Tweed Twin the differences are VERY noticeable, but with the "darker" sounding Emerald HRDX I used it with on the weekend, the differences were MUCH harder to hear.

Chuck

11. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

you may have to send it back to Mike Fuller. you should be able to hear the dif between the 2 modes. I'm really digging the mosfet mode.

12. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

Thanks All!

I am using a Swart Atomic Space Tone amp. I will have to take it try it with a friends amp and see if anything changes. I haven't heard back from Fulltone yet, so I'll give it a try.

John

13. tthompso7

tthompso7 Guest

There's definitely a difference in tone. Here's my totally non-scientific comparison between the OCD and FDII MOSFET. I was one of the first out of the batch of musictoyz pedals and I wanted to get something out to everyone asking for a review! PRS McSoapy --> FD2 MOSFET --> Gain Star 30 Channel 1 (clean). I think the OCD is a quite a bit more transparent.

I've never had a bad experience with Mike, he replaced a switch on a clyde for me and sent it back the same way I shipped it out.

Not sure what email address you're using but he's always responded to this one.... Fulltone@aol.com

[​IMG]

14. jkaffenb

jkaffenb Guest

I stopped by my local music store and we tried the pedal through a reissue Fender Twin Reverb and there was an obvious difference although it could only be noticed in Vintage mode. I'm now thinking that it is VERY amp dependant. Through the Swart Atomic Space Tone there is zero difference on any setting.

Chuck....thanks for posting about the noticeable difference between your 2 amps. I would have never guessed this. Has anyone else tried it with 2 different amps and does it sound different in Mosfet mode using Flat mids or Comp Cut or just in Vintage mode with the higher gain?

Thanks,
    John

15. NB_Terry

NB_Terry Member

The MOSFET part of the circuit is not active in comp cut mode.

16. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Right I was going to ask if he had it in Comp Cut mode (pulled up)

17. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

the comp cut mode takes out the cliping trannys correct?

18. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Correct. the clipping diodes is also where the initial compression happens - so remove them from the circuit and comp is 'cut'...;)