Fulltone '69 and '70 vs. CC2 and Analogman NKT-275

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jcshirke, Sep 6, 2005.

1. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Ok, here comes another fuzz question.

I own the CC2 and Analogman's NKT-275 Sun Face. The CC2's fuzz foot has the stock silicon/germanium fuzz card, and the Sun Face is two germaniums. Both sound great.

What I'm wondering is whether or not Fulltone's '69 and '70 pedals have a distinctive enough sound to consider picking one or the other of them up also--and possibly both? Has anyone played all of the above pedals to be able to comment?

I'm wanting a nice dirty rhythm fuzz, as well as additional shades of fuzz for leads. Maybe I'm just being a pedal whore by thinking I need to check out the Fulltone stuff also? :) Someone please set me straight!

Thanks,

Jeff

2. madsr

madsr Member

frantone cream puff may be what you're looking for(if you can handle a pink pedal!)

3. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Jeff, you guessed right, they are distictly different enough to make them worthwhile. I have a CC2, and while I like it a lot it didn't stop me buying a '69/'70/Mini Deja combo for my pedalboard. I find the standalone Fulltone fuzzes to be excellent, and very tweakable - moreso than the CC2 fuzz - although I tend to leave them on their "stock fuzzface" settings.

I don't want to sell my CC2 because it's fun in it's own right, but I prefer having the '69/'70 to switch between...

Pedal whore? C'mon... It's not like buying this stuff isn't enjoyable!

edit: The McFuzz Hot is also a blast, and works very well with a wah pedal!

4. blueprint

blueprint Member

I have the Analogman NKT Sun Face as well as the Fulltone 70'.
    The main difference is that the Sun Face is a germanium fuzz, and the 70' is a silicon one.
    It means the 70' has more gain, but doesn't cleans up as well as the Sun Face, which is THE champion in cleaning abilities by the way.
    The70' could be an alternative for the purpose you're about. It's a good pedal, but the Sun face is really magic imho.
    Did you tried it before a compressor?

5. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Any comments on the difference between the '69 and the '70?

I have the '70 and like it a lot but maybe I could use the '69 for a different flavor. The '70 can definitely get that Jimi BOG thing going. What about the Soulbender fuzz vs the '69? I mostly like fuzz for Eric Johnson/Jimi lead type stuff.

(If this seems like a hijack let me know and I'll start a new thread.)

6. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

The '69 is warmer and lower gain than the '70. Think "Like A Rolling Stone", Jimi at Monterey. That's what I consider the '69 to sound like. The '70 is, like you said, BoG tone.

7. Nigel

Nigel Guest

Thanks, alex. I ran search for threads on the Soulbender and it sounds like that would be a good option for a fuzz flavor different from the '70.

8. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

You're not hijacking the thread. I'm interested in getting info/feedback on all of those pedals--'69, '70, and the Soul Bender too.

Thanks to everyone so far.

9. JLee

JLee Member

The Soulbender was my main fuzz for years. I really miss it now that I think about it. More like a 3 knob Tonebender than a Fuzz Face. Never tried the '69 or '70 though. I would go for the Soulbender rather than the '69 or '70, since you already have 2 Fuzz Face type pedals. Plus the Soulbender has a tone knob for added flexability. It has a leaner sound than a Fuzz Face, but has more harmonics and a bit more gain than a Ge FF.