Fulltone '69 fuzz question please

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mooncusser, Oct 17, 2005.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hello all,

Hope you are all doing well.

I was wondering if anyone could PLEASE help me with something.
    I have the chance to buy a fulltone '69 fuzz pedal, and I was hoping that one of you fine musicians on this page has had any expirience with it.

If so, could you tell me about it, and let me know if it is worth the money or not.
    I know that there are a biliion fuzz pedals out there, but this one I am not fimiliar with. In other words, how would the fulltone '69 comapre to a vintage big muff...ect.

Thank you SO much for your time and efforts!!
    Sincerely, Mass

2. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Here's the simple answer - check out "Like a Rolling Stone", Jimi plays Monterey. That's what the '69 sounds like with a Strat into a non master volume Marshall.

Nothing like a Big Muff Pi - much lower gain.

The '69 is my favorite fuzz pedal...

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Dear Alex_law,

First of all, thank you so much for responding to my question.

Your answer was like hearing a dream come true....read on and you will see.

I have been a hendrix freak since I was a kid, and study his music exclusively since getting back into the guitar a few years ago.
    Funny you should mention the Monterey version of:
    "Like a rolling stone", because I just finished learning that song and it is one of my all time favorites.
    Now, this may seem odd to you, only due to coincidence, but I just recently purchased a reissue 1959 super lead plexi that is not even unpacked from shipping yet due to my busy work schedule...(the anticipation is killing me!)

anyway I was looking for the perfect fuzz pedal to compliment the plexi, and targeting the monterey sound exclusively.

The only question I have for you is:

you replied that the '69 fulltone fuzz is nothing like the big muff pi.......and you said "much lower gain."

did you mean that the big muff pi or the '69 fulltone had a higher gain?...I just didn't understand wich you were referring to.

I have a feeling that the '69 will be my favorite fuzz pedal as well.

Thank you for your time, and efforts.
    It is really appreciated.

Best regards, Mass

4. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

The big muff is higher gain,but the 69 has a bit too.

Not my favorite ff clone but it's o.k.

I suggest a proanalog scaryface,but its more expensive.
    worth it in my book.

just my2 cents

5. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Ooops, sorry I wasn't clear! The '69 is lower gain than the Big Muff. It's modelled after a 60's design Fuzzface using germanium transistors, rather than higher gain silicon transistor models. Further, the Muff isn't a Fuzzface, per se. The Fulltone '69 vs. '70 would be a better comparison.

The thing about the '69 that's a bit polarizing is that it seems people are often trying to cop an all-encompassing "Hendrix sound", and given the variety of gear configurations, the '69 can fall short for - for example - Isle of Wight or even Fillmore "Band of Gypsies" freakouts. It's definately a tamer sound.

If you're looking for that warm, fat, Monterey fuzz, I'd be surprised if you weren't thrilled by the '69 - especially into your reissue! I'd suggest you follow the instructions and start with the "stock fuzzface" setting. That's the one, in my opinion.

Just a thought about your plexi reissue - those amps can be awfully bright out of the box, you may well end up with your treble and presence knobs set all the way down to compensate. If it's still too bright, there's a capacitor across one of the potentiometers (it's actually on the PCB on the reissue) that can have one of it's legs desoldered to take the edge off the brightness - it's a reversible and common mod.

Just some thoughts - take 'em or leave 'em, but either way, enjoy!

6. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I would like to thank you for your time, advice and thoughts.
    I couldn't have wished for better.
    If any one would like to continue the topic by giving your opinons of this pedal, all are welcome.

Take care,
    Mass

7. Third Stone

Third Stone Member

...the only catch is.....I'd highly suggest you play that particular unit first. They seem to vary from pedal to pedal. I had one that wasn't very gainy at all. I've owned more than a few fuzz face clones and this paticular '69 was just a dog. Now I have heard a couple really great '69's too. Just my 2 cents...

8. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

+1great advise.

9. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I own two Fulltone 69 pedals and both sound great, it is one of my favorite fuzz boxes, well next to my girlfriends of course:D

[​IMG]

TheGrooveking

10. gulliver

gulliver Member

I tried one last week and didn't care for it within the setup I was trying it in. I probably would have liked it into my clean Fender, but it was into a JCM800 and the H&K Tube Factor blew it away for dynamics, openness and overall mid to high gain tone. The friend who owns it brought his TS9 as well because it sounds much better with it before the pedal (but off) ... go figure.

11. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

That's a bit of a weird comparison. ;)

I mean, a "tube overdrive" type effect to a fuzzface? It's sort of like comparing an Octavia to digital harmonizer... :D

12. dinrodef

dinrodef Guest

The 69 is an awesome "smooth" fuzz pedal. It's not a crazy out of control punk type fuzz

It seems to sound best in front of a slightly broken-up amp... not in front of a clean sound

I don't like the way it sounds with el-34s... but I absolutely love it 6l6 amps... (just my opinion)

13. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I agree with alex_law about the comparison issue between the '69 fuzz and the tube overdrive pedal.

AS I understand it, and correct me if I am wrong, the '69 fuzz pedal actually ~~reconfigures the oscillation frequency of the sine wave itself, rather than actually boosting decibals.
    The logistics and dynamics between the two pedals actually puts them both in a totaly different class.

Peace, Mass

p.s. The more I hear and read about the Fulltone '69 fuzz pedal, the more I see a pattern of vintage style players using them.
    ........could just be coincidence though.

:)

14. rorschah

rorschah Member

My favorite single box.

Super responsive to picking stuff, nice crunch and sweet sounds, acts as a weird kind of boost if you drop the fuzz and use the other controls.

My favorite part: I turn the volume in my strat to 8 and set the box to light, barely audible fuzz (about 4 o'clock on my set-up) - more fat then fuzz. Drop the volume to 6 - no fuzz. Crank it to 10 - max fuzz.

Glorious.

-thi

15. gulliver

gulliver Member

You're right, but the post asked my experience, and my experience is that it didn't work for me at all going into a distortion channel, where the overdrive pedal did ... for what ever that's worth.

16. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Dear Gulliver,

Thank you for sharing your expirience with your '69 fuzz pedal.
    You are correct, this post IS for individual viewpoints and personal dealings with this particular pedal.

I hope that I, nor Alex_Law caused you any offense whatsoever.
    I really appreciate your posting here...everybody's viewpoint counts and that is what makes this site so good.
    I think that myself and alex_law were just pointing out that the sound you were looking for was not in the design of the fuzz pedal, but more in a tube powered overdrive.

Now, when someone is arbitrarily searching through the forums for info on fuzz or overdrive .....your post will help them, and we thank you for that.

Take care and peace,
    Mass

17. Alex Law

Alex Law Member

Oh, quite, I was just intending to be conversational, not confrontational...