Fulltone 69'ers where are your bias and contour knobs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by screamingduck, Jan 9, 2008.

1. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've been having a hard time getting a good sound out of my Fulltone 69 pedal. I'm playing a Tele and/or Strat -both single coils of course- into a Super Reverb. I'm not having alot of luck finding a thick fuzz sound and was wondering where you single coilers are setting your bias and contour knobs for best result.

2. sampleinajar

sampleinajar Member

Mine are:

Bias: between 9-12
    Contour: between 12-3

Don't forget to play with the internal trimmer. Makes a huge difference.

The /70 will do a much thicker fuzz sound - a good Germanium fuzz face (liek the '69) isn't necessarily fuzzy and works best (imo) driving a partially breaking up tube amp. YMMV, etc.....

Good luck-

Steve

3. JRC4558Dude

JRC4558Dude Member

I tried out a '69 pedal a number of times and never liked it. I only found out there was an internal trimmer you could adjust after it was discontinued. D'oh!

4. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I think I want something will more of a "wall of sound" fuzz. I tried the 70 pedal but wasn't crazy about it. Maybe I should try a Barber Trifecta...

5. 4styx

4styx Member

I finally got it to sound good,Bias@ 4:30,Contour@8:30and Fuzz@between 12 and 2:00.Works for me!

6. Funkis

Funkis Member

You shoud look at FrantoneĀ“s fuzz pedals .they are really neat to. Great for a Wall of fuzz.
    Check out, Peach fuzz and the Sweet.

7. jmp

jmp Supporting Member

Bias: Full UP
    Contour: Full DOWN

This replicates the "stock" non-adjustable Fuzz Face values.

For "wall of fuzz" I'd go with some sort of Big Muff design.

8. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I'm going to try out some of the suggestions. I'm still thinking I might need to go silicon or Bigg Muff-type.

9. Jungleman

Jungleman Member

I keep the Bias is at 9, Contour at 12. I've had the pedal for 8-9 years, once in a while I tweak the controls a bit.

I've had good results boosting the '69 with an overdrive. FD2, Banzai Fireball 2, BJF LGW, they all work nicely with the '69.

10. Jam119

Jam119 Member

I have had a '69 for over a year and while it was the closest fuzz to what i heard in my head for my tone - it was always a bear to dial in... I recently got the trifecta and immediately knew it was a winner... From Hendrix to Pumpkins - It's all in there...

11. ECase

ECase Member

I love my '69, and I go with Fulltone's "Stock Fuzz Face" sound -- full clockwise and full counter -- and I have recently returned the internal trim pot to the factory setting. I like the wall of sound that verges into "something's broken" sound...

12. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

Thanks again for all the great suggestions. I'm digging the "Stock Fuzz Face" sound the best although there are a couple of other sweet spots I was able to find. By running the 69 into my OCD I found my "fuzz wall of sound" I was looking for as well. Very heavy chords and single note bends that go on forever, plus double stops that just wail and moan the blues.
    I had gotten away from my 69 as I am generally a low gain player but every once in a while it's nice to hit them with a "Fuzz bomb" just to make sure they are paying attention!:RoCkIn

13. tres

tres Member

what kind of tonal variations are people getting when they play with the internal trimmer? I've never messed with it, but I've always loved the way it sounds stock.

14. lukeII

lukeII Supporting Member

Bias: 10 o'clock
    Countour: 2 o'clock
    Fuzz: 4 o'clock
    Vol: 12 o'clock

15. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

Vol: 12-1 o'clock
    bias: 1-3 o'clock
    contour: 10-12 o'clock
    fuzz: 3 o'clock - all the way up depending what I want

I base the bias off of where I have the fuzz. When the fuzz is at 3 o'clock the bias is at 3. The higher the fuzz goes up the lower the bias goes. So if I have the fuzz knob dimed, I have the bias around 1 o'clock. I use 95% single coil guitars too.

16. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

More great suggestions! Thanks to everyone. I've tried each of these settings and they each have a certain something to them that I was missing until now.