Fulltone '70....wow...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by shooto, Sep 24, 2006.

1. shooto

shooto Supporting Member

what a great sounding pedal!...is the sample track on their website at full gain? 'cause it doesn't sound that gainy...it's in the mids, but what a nice mid-gain fuzz with such a big, fat tone-

my next pedal is a London Fuzz but does anyone know if the LF is able to clean up down to to that tone (less gain)?

clip: http://www.fulltone.com/audio/areyou.mp3

2. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

That clip is what sold me on my 70 Pedal. But it's been a love hate thing with it really. Lately it's been love. The pedal doesn't clean up that well with the guitar volume knob. There's a big drop in gain from 10 to 9 (9 is my favorite setting on the Strat neck pickup). More gradual drop from 9 to about 7. Less than 7 and there's not much use for it. All of this is with the gain and mid's nearly maxed.

Lately it's been working really well for me, but there have been times when I really kicked myself for not going with the '69 pedal. FYI I have been able to approximate the tones from that recording.

3. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

London Fuzz II (Si) is way better, not harsh but creamy and cleans up.

and the most WOW Si is the Analogman Sunface BC-108.

4. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

My newly-acquired Huckleberry isn't a straight clone of this, but sounds really good and cleans up with the smallest turn of the volume knob on the guitar.

What is the usual range for a fuzz "cleaning up?" I do this with OD a lot, but was kind of suprised that this one would be nasty sounding with the guitar volume on 10, yet around 8 or 9 even would be totally clean, as if bypassed. That was at pretty high gain settings, I guess next time I will try getting it to sound all fuzzy with the guitar volume at 6 and see what happens...

5. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I'd be curious to hear from others on this as well. Back in the day when I had my Dallas Arbiter, I didn't play around with the guitar volume much in those days. I don't have any other fuzz's to make comparisons. My 70 does have a dramatic drop between 10 and 9 on the guitar volume.

6. leftyaxeslinger

leftyaxeslinger Supporting Member

I really like the '70 too. I just love fuzz all around. I usually keep 2 fuzzes on the board!

7. peequin

peequin Member

Had two Fulltone 70's, both at different times.

I really don't like it. Way better options out there.

I have a Huckleberry, and can get Band of Gypsy's tones out of it.

8. StompBoxBlues

StompBoxBlues Member

I'm really looking forward to band practice tonight. Was up late last night changing my pedalboard to add my two newest fuzzes...
    a BYOC Fuzz clone I built from the kit, and my new Sunface from Analogman.

Both cool as hell, slightly different voicing, and different characteristics (BYOC hits distortion earlier I think), and they sound absolutely fantastic together.

Along with that I temporarily set aside my Blues Devil (probably going to go back and forth between it and the other favorite OD that still is on the board) but kept my Zendrive on the board for now.

Fuzzes are great!

9. Lefty

Lefty Member

Personally I found the '70 a bit dark sounding with the band, bu that IS the nature of the Si Fuzz. I perfer the Ge Fuzz's for a little more mid push and warmth. But the '70 is still a good 'un.

10. gkelm

gkelm Supporting Member

I've had a couple too...no longer. That clip on Fuller's site must be his plexi cranked...big factor.

Lots of other fuzzy options out there! I actually liek the Soudlbender a lot better than the 70.

Greg