1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Fulltone alternatives?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by peachead1071, Oct 9, 2006.

1. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

Hey guys. I'm looking at replacing my Boss BD-2 with something I actually like playing through. It is just too "pedaly" sounding to me. I love the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, but I don't like the price or the size. I want something with that thick amp OD sound to put in front of a Bassman LTD. I play lots of slide and am firmly in the blues/soul/R&B camp. What do you guys suggest.

2. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

3. Aruntang

Aruntang Member

4. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

I am sure you will get a multitude of responses here. I think one of the best pedals for the money right now is the Barber LTD (the silver one if you like less mid hump). They can be had for @ $100 and sound great. I actually like the tone better than the Fulldrive. At times in the compressed modes, the Fulltone sounded a bit boxy to me.

5. drone62

drone62 Active Member

amen loosegroove!!!(that would be a great name for a band by the way).you cant go wrong with barber stuff right now.its not only the best bang for the buck but it will hold its own to anything on the market.do a little homework on their products and get the right one for your needs-you wont be sorry!!!

6. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

I'll echo the Barber recommendations except I'll recommend the Small Fry due to its versatility - it works well at low or high gain.

7. Phil M

Phil M Member

TC Jauernig. Gristle King if you want the OD with a footswitchable clean boost, or the DGTM if you just need a single stomp drive pedal. You can find DGTMs around $100 used.

8. alanbass1

alanbass1 Member

How about getting Keeley to modify your Bluesdriver. You will be amazed at the difference.

9. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

They are great deals used and can usually picked up for $140 or less. Considering what you get - three very different voicings and an addition boost channel that works on all three modes - there's nothing that comes close. Plus, you already love it! Why go searching? Just for the chase? Dude, buy the damn Fulldrive!

10. Fifthstone

Fifthstone Member

I don't think it's too big, especially considering that it is essentially two pedals in one. I love this pedal. The Fulldrive II has been around for a long time now and I'm sure you can find them used for a reasonable amount. As far as thick sounds for slide and blues, I think it would suit you very well. Very versatile pedal. And no, I'M not selling mine ;)

11. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I paid $150 for a Mosfet FD2. More than worth it IMHO, and its really not that big. In fact other than an AF-9 its the smallest pedal I use.

Fifthstone is right on, for thick blues type stuff you'll have to pay a lot more money to beat it.

12. Swain

Swain Member

The FD2 is a top choice. If it's too big, then you really should consider selling some other pedals to make space for the FD2! Plus, the money from the pedal sales, can help finance it.
    There's also the Pedalworx Texas Two Step. or the incredible new Tejas pedal. The Tejas is like a TS with a LOT more available gain, and a "Spice" knob that makes it about the most versatile TS type pedal I've ever heard.
    The stuff from MI is affordable. I love my Blues Pro.
    Indyguitarist mods the Blues Driver, too. I think he does all of Brent Mason's pedals.

13. Wilbo26

Wilbo26 Member

I would say the most versitile TS style pedal is the Foxrox ZIM, even moreso if you factor in the upcoming Fuzz and Brown Muff cards. Its even bigger than the FD2 though.

14. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Jersey Girl Fulltender or Plusdriver is your ticket.

15. loosegroove

loosegroove Member

Um, I believe when he said he didn't like the price of the Fulltone, that meant that he wanted a less expensive pedal, not one that simply had a different price. :AOK

16. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

You can snag em used on here once in a while. :)

17. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

+1 on the Barber LTD. I have had both the Silver and Black versions, as well as 3 different Fulltone Fulldrive 2's. The Barbers easily held their own with their more expensive competitor, had a smaller footprint, and are easily available used for even cheaper.

If you are looking for a TS style pedal, the Barber is hard to beat.