• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Fulltone Cables design flaw?

Kelly

I've been repairing some of my old cables lately, one of them being a Fulltone with the old ends (not Neutrik). Apparently, these connectors are never meant to be reused; you have to remove some plastic to remove the plug, and it's full of black goo. The cable itself has 2 center core wires and shielding, like the Evidence Lyric. Now, I've always read that for noise reduction, the shield wire should only be connected to ground at one end (amp end). Guess what? The Fulltone's shield is connected at BOTH ENDS! I've had a pair of these cables for several years. They sound pretty good, but have a good bit of handing noise. Could this be the culprit?

Guitar Vilain

That's actually not accurate, mono instrument cables should have the shielding connected at both ends, nothing wrong with your Fulltone cable.

Kelly

That's actually not accurate, mono instrument cables should have the shielding connected at both ends, nothing wrong with your Fulltone cable.
Um, no. There are 2 wires plus a shield. It's not designed like Mogami 2524, which has a single center conductor plus sheild.

chervokas

I've been repairing some of my old cables lately, one of them being a Fulltone with the old ends (not Neutrik). Apparently, these connectors are never meant to be reused; you have to remove some plastic to remove the plug, and it's full of black goo. The cable itself has 2 center core wires and shielding, like the Evidence Lyric. Now, I've always read that for noise reduction, the shield wire should only be connected to ground at one end (amp end). Guess what? The Fulltone's shield is connected at BOTH ENDS! I've had a pair of these cables for several years. They sound pretty good, but have a good bit of handing noise. Could this be the culprit?

It's not flaw, with twinax cable you can connect the shield at both ends, or at one end. Some people will tell you that connecting it at one end (and keeping that end connected to the lowest resistance path to circuit ground) will be better than connecting the shield at both ends. Others will tell you you have better sheilding with both ends connected. I've read scientific cases for both in various audio engineering texts. Not sure what's the truth. But it's conventionally done both ways. Not fair to call it a flaw.

And it shouldn't have any impact on handling noise. There should be a semiconductive PVC shield layer that protects against electrostatic handling noise.

Kelly

It's not flaw, with twinax cable you can connect the shield at both ends, or at one end. Some people will tell you that connecting it at one end (and keeping that end connected to the lowest resistance path to circuit ground) will be better than connecting the shield at both ends. Others will tell you you have better sheilding with both ends connected. I've read scientific cases for both in various audio engineering texts. Not sure what's the truth. But it's conventionally done both ways. Not fair to call it a flaw.

And it shouldn't have any impact on handling noise. There should be a semiconductive PVC shield layer that protects against electrostatic handling noise.
Gonna order some connectors and only attach the shield at one end. I'll compare it to the other Fulltone cable and report back later...

Adagietto

Pending
Silver Supporting Member
The handling noise probably is from the cable itself. The shield/ground termination should not make a difference.

Lifting the shield at one end is debatable and depends on which technical resources you believe, and the specific circumstances. Single shield/ground connections are more common within enclosures like PA cabinets, less common for instrument cables (some Planet Waves cables are grounded only at one end). In those cases, the shield and ground typically are connected at the input of the next stage -- the amp in this case. There also is argument for grounding the shield at the transducer end, in this case the guitar.

It's easy to test for oneself. In very casual testing of my practice rig (ha, my only rig), none of it matters. When I was designing PAs, shields were only connected at one end.

Edit: chervokas beat me to it and posted while I was editing. OP too.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom