Fulltone Cables

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mac-P, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Yes, I am aware there is a whole cable thread. But this is a specific review of the Fulltone cables so it seems like it is a seperate topic. Pardon me if some of you feel this thread is misplaced. :moon

Please note: I am one of those who (up until tonight) thought a lot of the cable stuff was largely hype. That said I am a tone freak and MAJOR sound hound. Those who know me on here can vouch.

The following was tested with a Gibson SG Standard straight into a Reverend Kingsnake 1x12 combo set "almost" clean (if you wack the strings hard you get a Keith Richards sort of bite - play softly it is perfectly clean).

I got (2) Fulltone 15 foot straight to right angle cables. The cables themselves are noticably thicker than the 15 foot Bayou cables with the Canare wire, though not nearly as thick as the 12 foot Monster Jazz cables. About as thick as the standard Pro-Co cables.

I do not own some of the really high end cables that many of you have, so please pardon my "working man" camparasins. :rolleyes:

The first thing I noticed when plugging in is that (with the Fulltones) I had more gain and my guitar was louder overall with more high end and high mids than with the Bayou cables. It seemed there was more signal making it to the amp. Although the Bayous sound great, the Fulltones just made the guitar sound more like it was "right there".

Compared to the Monster Jazz, it was night and day. The Monsters are WAAY muffled compared to the Fulltones. I like gigging with the Monsters (they are the thickest and most durable I have tried to date - no need to worry about people stepping on em) and have set my rig up to sound great with them. But, wow. Sorry for the cliche, but plugging in the Fulltones was almost literally like taking a blanket off the speaker and turning the gain on the amp up. I really couldn't believe it. Night and day.

The only thing I can think is that the Fulltones are letting more true signal through (being that they are louder than all the other cables). From what I understand cables can't make your signal louder, so the other cables must be attenuating some signal. Plugging the Canare cables in after the Fulltones is like slightly rolling back the treble and slightly turning the gain on the amp down. I cannot help but think that is signal loss of a sort. They are the same exact length, so that is not it.

And just to be sure my overly critical guitar playing ears weren't cork sniffing, I asked my wife (who almost always thinks I am crazy to notice differences in this kind of stuff :NUTS ) to listen. I did not tell her what to listen for - I just played and said "tell me what you think".

She said "the other ones sound muffled compared to that last one" (referring to the Fulltone). "I had no idea wire could affect the sound so much". Yea, I hear ya babe, me neither..... :eek:

Anyway, for $33 per cable I am astounded. It makes sense that they were designed by a guitar player and not a sound engineer - it sounds like it. I like em.

Again, I know many of you guys have experience with $100 wires, but this working musician doesn't and can only compare what I have.

I have seen the light. For those of you that think this cable stuff is hype, try one of these bad boys. I am astounded.....

;)

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I've got 2 of the fulltone cable and agree with your comments, they really do sound great. I still have my Bayou cables and also sound very good but there is something about the Fulltone cable that just sounds better!

3. LavaMan

LavaMan Gold Supporting Member

The Fulltone cables are two stranded copper conductor (twinax) cable with two shields - a foil shield and a braided shield. (basic microphone cable configuration) The Canare GS-6 Bayou uses is coax - single conductor and shield. You typically get better sounding cables with a twin conductor design, in fact, as an experiment you can make some guitar cable out of Canare Star Quad microphone cable (L-4E6S) and you will probably find that it sounds real similar to the Fulltone...The connector bodies on the Fulltone are press fit, and with this, the limited lengths offered, and the low cost, it is pretty apparent that the cable is being made and assembled in Asia somewhere, most likely China.

4. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

As opposed to your cable being made in Asia somewhere and final assembled in the US ?

5. carlygtr56

carlygtr56 Senior Member

While you\'re examining them under a microscope, others are enjoying playing thru them.Can you prove anything you claim?

6. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Yo Mac - where did you get the $33 price?

7. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

Music Toyz. http://musictoyz.com/guitar/gtrstuff/fulltonecables.php

$32.95 each plus $5.95 shipping. The pair shipped cost me $71.85 and I got them 3 days after I ordered them.

The Canare wire in the Bayous clearly says "Made in Japan", so I'm not going to get all nationalistic about it. I don't think the Fulltones would sound any better if they were made somewhere else (and at a higher price). And we don't know where they are made so it is not even an issue. Just my opinion. ;)

8. tedm

tedm Gold Supporting Member

Good review, anyone compare the fulltone with a klotz of equal length yet?

9. BudLite

BudLite Supporting Member

I too, just bought 2 - 15ft fulltones cables(upon Lagrassa's recommendation.) And I am very pleased with the sound and the feel and price of the cable....For 33 dollars what cable is a better deal than this....?

10. stevieray

stevieray Member

Probably a Sommer Spirit for $7 more.

11. LavaMan

If you go my website this is what you will find that none of my cable is made in Asia:

1. Evidence Audio - made in America
    2. Lava ELC - made in America
    3. Cardas Golden Chord - made in America
    4. George L's - made in America
    5. van den Hul - made in the Netherlands
    6. Gotham - made in Greece
    7. Klotz - made in Germany
    8. Sommer - made in Germany
    9. Canare - made in Japan
    10. Mogami - made in Japan

If you consider Japan Asia - which I do not as it is an island not part of the Asia continent, then only Canare and Mogami may be considered as being made in Asia - but I found that these are both excellent quality cables and have a solid reputation in the music industry.

You pay for what you get - Neutrik connectors are the industry standard and far better in my opinion than those found on the Fulltone cables - you can compare those for yourself.

As I said earlier for $20.95 on my website you can get a Canare L-4E6S star quad TS to TS cable that will sound similar to the fulltone because it is constructed basically the same way, in fact it may even sound better because there are 4 conductors v.s. 2....

12. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

I hear ya, and I think all your points are legitimate. But the bottom line is that even though my Bayou cables (with the Canare wire and Neutrik ends) sound great, I really do think the Fulltones sound better. Certainly louder and clearer. So obviously whatever Mike is designing in there and whatever components he is using are working, despite all other factors. If the goal was to design the best sounding guitar cable in a price range, I believe he has succeeded...in spades. And the Fulltones come with a limited lifetime warranty (like many other brands) so the company is standing behind the product.

I don't foresee a problem even though I hear Mike can be hard to deal with. In all the years of having my Monsters I have never had to send one back. The Fulltones look pretty heavy duty. Much more so than the Canare/Neutrik cables.

I can see why competing cable manufacturers may be a little concerned about these, but hey, there will always be players who need to know the Neutrik ends are there before ever even listening to a cable. To me it's not about names it's about sound. My ears don't lie (usually.... :rolleyes: ).

:BEER

13. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

One more point:

I in NO WAY mean to diss the Bayou cables which are EXCELLENT. IF someone wanted a bit less high end or bite I would say go Bayou. They sound great, much better than the Monsters or anything else I had tried http://www.bayoucables.com/

There are a million options and you can get cables made to any length, with any ends, right angle, straight, etc. All top notch parts, construction and service. And amazing prices.

Butch was a PLEASURE to deal with and I got some fantastic speaker cable as well from him. And I am still going to use the guitar cables, it's not like I'm selling them or anything because I discovered the Fulltones....

:D

14. LavaMan

Yes - that is because they are made with Canare GS-6 - a coax, the Fulltone cable is a twinax. My point is that for much less, using Canare Star Quad cable you will have a similar sounding cable.

15. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

IMHO the cable itself defines the "sound" of the cable, while the connectors and workmanship define the durability. The reason you may want to look at the connector type is apparent when you read the Guitar Player review of the Fulltone cables:

In this particular case what was "portended" and what actually happened are distinctly different things!;)

Not meaning to pick on these cables in particular, but performance/cost tradeoffs are just part of the the business, as is the decision to outsource labor. Sometimes it makes a difference, sometimes not. I think this is all that LavaMan was pointing out.....

16. EddieFeder

EddieFeder Senior Member

all of which means nothing in the real world, does it. According to musictoyz, where I bought mine, around 1000 sold with no issues, does that make a cable with 0% failure rate? No. Only time will tell.

17. afterburner

afterburner Supporting Member

Don't take this the wrong way, but I find it quite interesting that you do not consider Japan a part of Asia. I dare say that most people would and may feel mislead if they bought something they thought was not made in Asia, but turned out to be made in Japan. I'm not saying you're wrong, just that it's interesting how people perceive things.

(as an aside, Taiwan is also an island, but most people would still consider made-in-Taiwan BOSS pedals as Asian-made.)

18. Mac-P

Mac-P Member

And the Japanese people are definitely considered "Asian" in ethnicity.

19. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I actually dont like the Neutrik connectors I got on my Bayou cables they are bulky and feel like they will break easily, the Fulltone connectors feel solid and are nice and slim I guess all this is personal preference!

well I'm glad at least Fulltone added a good quality cable thats affordable and comparable to the other great cables out there!

20. Johnny Raz

Johnny Raz Member

....and this all has to do with Fulltone Cables how???