Fulltone Clyde Deluxe...Not quite happening for me...Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tinkercity, Jan 24, 2008.

1. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

So I've had a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe on my board for about 2 years now. It's been very good to me, but I've never really bonded with it. I've tried all three different settings and worked on the settings inside as well. So, in true TGP fashion, I'm thinking of trading it or selling it for another wah...

I'm looking something ala Santana/Anastasio. Really dig Trey's tone. He supposedly uses a stock crybaby or a teese...Who knows. Anyway, looking for suggestions as I'm just not bonding with the Clyde.

Thanks!
    M.

2. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Hey there funny you should post this! Today I was really bonding with my Clyde deluxe and have had it for over a year now. I use the wacked most of the time but have really been getting into the Jimi setting. One thing have done recently is put the CD very last in my chain on my board. Everything else comes before it. I really dig it with the red channel of my Bogner XTC. Hope this helps some. I'd say give it another chance and do some tweaking. Just my 1 and 1/2 cents. Good luck!

3. PedalFreak

PedalFreak Supporting Member

If you've decided to try something new, check out the Teese RMC2 or RMC3. Great wahs and you can tweak them to get the sound you want.

4. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

Over the years I have owned just about every Wah and while reading this thread I heard about the Wilson Effects Q-Wah. Ordered one and it is by far the best Wah ever. Very versatile, from Funky to overdriven and the Manufacturer, Kevin Wilson is a great guy that you can actually speak with on the phone and is extemely customer focused. Go to their website
    www.wilsoneffects.com
    The only other Wah I really dug was the Teese Picture Wah, Geoffrey also great guy and customer focused. I just thought it wasn't clean enough for what I wanted.

ROCK THE JOINT!!!!:RoCkIn

5. tinkercity

Thanks for posting this info. I'm definitely going to check them out. Which model do you have?

6. ahltarocka

ahltarocka Supporting Member

I have the Rippah Q-Wah and it Rocks.

GO GIANTS!!!!
    KICK THOSE PATS A__:horse.

7. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

Sounds like am RMC2 would be just what the Dr. ordered!

It's easier to tweak since all the controls are outside the wah...lots of different very cool wah tones to be had in one and FWIW, I belive thats the wah that Trey uses...

8. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
    I have the first version Fulltone Clyde wah, and it's good but as for you, it's not quite happening for me either.

9. tinkercity

I'm seriously looking into the Wilson wahs. Nice to see something different out there.

10. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

Turn the volume all the way up, and run it on whacked setting. Also, try a compressor or light OD in front of it.

Good luck

11. tinkercity

Interesting. What effect does running the volume dimed have on the whacked setting? Wouldn't it be overpowering?

12. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

Maybe its what your running after it. I put the FoxRox wah kit in mine and it made it play nice with my other effects. Now I run it into a HoneyBee and its even better. I generally use the jimi stting at 80% volume.

13. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

One thing I'd do before dropping the Clyde, is get a couple of good recordings of yourself playing it in a band situation. I was constantly thinking it was "missing" something, until I kept hearing it at rehersals and gigs, and it sounded great. I stopped worrying about how it sounded in isolation, and learned to love it, knowing it would sound good out front. Just my experience.

14. Burst59

Burst59 Member

It's funny you should post this, I felt the same way. I had my Clyde Standard for about 3 months and it never really did it for me either. I finally dumped it on Craigslist and put the money towards a T-Rex Room-Mate Reverb.
    I still think the Cry Baby's have the sweetest tone. The greats all used either VOX or Cry Baby's.

15. ylo

ylo Member

My Clyde didn't sound quite as good as my old Vox wah until I replaced the stock Mesa CL90 speaker in my LSS with a Weber Blue Dog . . . which made the amp a little brighter.

Wow, now I can ACTUALLY HEAR the wah effect IN SPADES. Now the Clyde sounds SUPERIOR to the Vox, particularly in the heel down growly positions.

So, you might want to try the Clyde through another amp before you ditch it entirely. I think the Clyde has a more or less vintage sound, and if you play modern heavily overdriven music styles through a dark amp & speakers, you prefer a wah more suited to modern music, maybe a Teese Wizard Wah.

16. BluesHarp

BluesHarp Member

Budda BudWah is killer man... I shoot for a hendrix/vocal wah type sound though.

17. Doodles

Doodles Member

Good choice, I have a Rippah Q and a Qwah they both rock. The Rippah is a little wetter sounding though. Wish I would've got the vintage one but they hadn't had them out yet. Kevin's a good dude to deal with. He really aims to please.

18. Fixxxer

Fixxxer Member

nope, his volume is really a drive.... I think. Its not like a traditional volume, which is a little odd, but try it, you may find you like it.;)

19. rjaneshek

rjaneshek Member

I recently upgraded from my Crybaby standard to a Clyde Deluxe and I too am wondering if I can do better. It just seems to thin out my overall tone too much when engaged. Maybe that's just the way wahs are. I haven't tried enough of them to know. Is there any remedy for this thinning of tone? Are the Teese wahs any better in that regard?

20. tinkercity

Most of the Vox, Jimi style wahs do this. Don't get me wrong...the Clyde Deluxe is a great wah, I'm just on the hunt for something more original. It does sound good at what it does though. You will see it up in the emporium FS very soon! :)